FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: How Come My Cabin Smeels Like Gas?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I asked Jay this when we installed everything...his answer was

"Ahhh....turbos, dont you love them" :lol: :blink:

I need a better answer than that....lol...Plus I think Im getting high....well no, but the smell is really bad when I go 3/4 throttle. Im thinking exhuast leak somewhere, but I checked everything when I redid the intake arm. We re-torqued all the bolts. Lots of them were lose actually, but I expected that I would have to re-torque everything down after a 6.5 hr drive right after the install.

There is a leak between the Turbo and the header. We were told not to use a gasket there from multiuple shops....but Im wondeirng if I should get one put in now. The leak isnt anything bad...You cant hear it, you can only feel a liitle bit of air coming out when you put your hand in front of it...
Pull the garden hose attached to your exhaust tip out from the window into the interior and you should be good to go......... :P
S2,Apr 6 2005, 11:45 AM Wrote:Pull the garden hose attached to your exhaust tip out from the window into the interior and you should be good to go......... :P
[right][snapback]99346[/snapback][/right]

I wish it was as easy as that. :(

Is there anyway :unsure: ....cuz I have the hose from the valve cover going back into the intake... :unsure:, lol, im just shooting ideas out there...
Try easing up on the Taco Bell Drive - thru.

There is a leak between the Turbo and the header.

*Flo your are talking about the inlet of the turbine flange or the exhaust manifold?I think the cause of the leak is first when you did weld the flange for the exhaust manifold after that process you should resurface the flange to keep it flat(any machine shop will do that for you),also use a gasket . The smell of gas :huh: maybe the tune is on the rich side,what's the reading from the dyno(a/f ratio) at part throttle,and full throttle? B)
coolsvt,Apr 6 2005, 11:55 AM Wrote:There is a leak between the Turbo and the header.

*Flo your are talking about the inlet of the turbine flange or the exhaust manifold?I think the cause of the leak is first when you did weld the flange for the exhaust manifold after that process you should resurface the flange to keep it flat(any machine shop will do that for you),also use a gasket . The smell of gas  :huh: maybe the tune is on the rich side,what's the reading from the dyno(a/f ratio) at part throttle,and full throttle? B)
[right][snapback]99351[/snapback][/right]

When Jay welded that flange, the turbo was still attached to it. Bolted down, nice and tight. The turbo is used, so maybe that is why its not nice and flat. What part would I get machined, the Turbo or the header or both? :huh:

Im guessing its running rich, cant really tell with this rice guauge...lol.

I have not gone to the dyno as Im still trying to figure out my STFT for Tom.

Do you know where I could get those readings around here in Ottawa cool?

EDIT: He would like to see part throttle and full throttle data.

I have not gone to the dyno as Im still trying to figure out my STFT for Tom.

*what's STFT?is it short trim,full trim fuel,if so than your transfer function needs some tuning,what MAF your using OEM or aftermarket?

*There is only one place for tuning I think in Ottawa tapp auto try to contact him and see, he can tune with superchip software.

Your friend did a mistake when he welded the flange of the exhaust manifold while the flange of the turbine inlet is still bolted,anyway if your going to take off the header then take the turbo with you for resurfacing(you don't want to do something twice).Also for a gasket use stainless steel. B)
coolsvt,Apr 6 2005, 02:03 PM Wrote:I have not gone to the dyno as Im still trying to figure out my STFT for Tom. 

*what's STFT?is it short trim,full trim fuel,if so than your transfer function needs some  tuning,what MAF your using OEM or aftermarket?

*There is only one place for tuning I think in Ottawa tapp auto try to contact him and see, he can tune with superchip software.

Your friend did a mistake when he welded the flange of the exhaust manifold while the flange of the turbine inlet is still bolted,anyway if your going to take off the header then take the turbo with you for resurfacing(you don't want to do something twice).Also for a gasket use stainless steel. B)
[right][snapback]99386[/snapback][/right]

short term fuel trim..

i think there are other dynos in ottawa, maybe not as good though.. hmmm man if i can get my hands on a damn raptor ill log your car for free, just NO ONE HAS ONE FOR SALE..

go on local boards and ask for a datalogger.. any datalogger.. at least if you can get some nunmbers even if they aren't the greatest.. well you'll have that..
coolsvt,Apr 6 2005, 03:03 PM Wrote:I have not gone to the dyno as Im still trying to figure out my STFT for Tom. 

*what's STFT?is it short trim,full trim fuel,if so than your transfer function needs some  tuning,what MAF your using OEM or aftermarket?

[right][snapback]99386[/snapback][/right]

I've gone there, Chris hooked up a Ford Snap on tool scanner. I dont think he can help me uness Im using his software (Sct, superchips), I have Diablo, and Tom is the tuner for it. I have a Pro-M MAF. Yes Tom wants to adjust the MAF transfer function...
the datalogger should work whatever chip you have.. since its on the obdii port.. it just reads what the ecu has..

i think there are different choices for stft and ltft .. maybe he just didn't pick the right oen.. or he picked the static one or something.. caus its suppose to change constantly when you drive.. should not be just one value..
Are your injectors seated correctly? Is your fuel rail leaking?
Ask your gf to atleast roll down the window when she let's one rip :lol:

I know we had a gas problem of smell and we thought the car was running rich, which it wasn't. Turned out to be blow by.
meford4u,Apr 6 2005, 04:20 PM Wrote:Ask your gf to atleast roll down the window when she let's one rip :lol:

I know we had a gas problem of smell and we thought the car was running rich, which it wasn't.  Turned out to be blow by.
[right][snapback]99415[/snapback][/right]

That would suck. :unsure:
Jays2000ZX3,Apr 6 2005, 09:25 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Apr 6 2005, 04:20 PM Wrote:Ask your gf to atleast roll down the window when she let's one rip :lol:

I know we had a gas problem of smell and we thought the car was running rich, which it wasn't.  Turned out to be blow by.

[right][snapback]99416[/snapback][/right]

It's all fixed and running like a top. Coming home tonight. Just a few more little things to do and it's off to the dyno and tuning. Sorry to hog your thread flo.
meford4u,Apr 6 2005, 05:42 PM Wrote:
Jays2000ZX3,Apr 6 2005, 09:25 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]99416[/snapback][/right]

It's all fixed and running like a top. Coming home tonight. Just a few more little things to do and it's off to the dyno and tuning. Sorry to hog your thread flo.
[right][snapback]99420[/snapback][/right]

Whats blow by?

Jay you put that fuel rail back in properly? :lol:
yeah, lol, it doesn't leak fuel.

Blow by is when you are getting oil etc. passed the piston rings...not good.
Maybe I called it the wrong thing. We didn't have a problem with the rings. We were getting oil into the SC from a faulty PCV valve the was stuck open and allowing the air pressure from the SC to either push oil into the unit or suck it into the unit.
It sounds alot worse than it was. Only a small amount of oil and no harm done. The car now hows a little more grumble to it. Not much, just a little. The boy wants a break in period for the new cams on the car, so I can't tell you how hard the engine is pulling. But up to 4000 rpm it was pulling harder than it ever has.

Now back to your problem Flo. From our experience with the Sc and other mods, the car always smells like high octane fuel because we use high octane fuel. I hadn't noticed the smell around a non-fi Focus before, so i assume it is because the car was boosted.
maybe try venting the pcv to atmosphere.....might make it smell more like gas tho :)
Actually, that's technically what mine is doing... I have a separate PCV filter on the end of the factory tubing... it doesn't route into my intake. I've never noticed anything similar to that in terms of smell yet. In fact, it hasn't smelt any different at all compared to stock.
hardk0re,Apr 7 2005, 09:29 AM Wrote:maybe try venting the pcv to atmosphere.....might make it smell more like gas tho :)
[right][snapback]99580[/snapback][/right]

Make me a catch can. :)
Pages: 1 2