FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What Brake Set Up Do You Guys Have?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
what brake set up do you guys have?
I'm gonna need pads, rotors, dums, and shoes.
I'm thinking of going green ebc pads for the front. but not sure what rotors and rear brakes are good for the focus. I was a toyota guy so not sure what suits the focus. help will be greatly appreciated. And don't want to spend too much. thinking of $300CAD but not a cent more. But cheaper is better too as long as doesn't compromise braking power.

thanks.
Jaspher,Apr 4 2005, 08:36 PM Wrote:............don't want to spend too much.  thinking of $300CAD but not a cent more.  [right][snapback]98983[/snapback][/right]

That's a pretty small budget. Your rears likely don't need any work. I had a shop measure mine after 30,000 of city only driving and rears were 25% worn and fronts were 25% LEFT (pads and rotors).

How many K's for for you to replace the rears? :huh:

I'm running Brembo blanks with KVR CF pads. I like em.

I will be repalcing the rears soon...they're probably gonna go soon, hitting 100K probably in the next month or so :blink:

Good thread, post some links guys! lol.
2001 ZTS,Apr 4 2005, 09:44 PM Wrote:
Jaspher,Apr 4 2005, 08:36 PM Wrote:............don't want to spend too much.  thinking of $300CAD but not a cent more.  [right][snapback]98983[/snapback][/right]

That's a pretty small budget. Your rears likely don't need any work. I had a shop measure mine after 30,000 of city only driving and rears were 25% worn and fronts were 25% LEFT (pads and rotors).
[right][snapback]98984[/snapback][/right]

this price is for parts only. I always do my own brake job.
I'm thinking I might just need shoes for the rear.
I've got brembo cross drilled rotors, cvr ceramic pads... was a good mod, and not too expensive... would like to change the shoes, brake lines, and fluid this year..
Raine,Apr 4 2005, 10:35 PM Wrote:I've got brembo cross drilled rotors, cvr ceramic pads... was a good mod, and not too expensive... would like to change the shoes, brake lines, and fluid this year..
[right][snapback]99009[/snapback][/right]

How much did you rotors and pads cost you? before tax?

If your changing brake fluid go with ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid. Pirana @ birchmount and lawrence carry this stuff. I think the're around $16/L.

ATE® Super Blue (DOT 4) has a dry boiling point of 536F and a wet boiling point of 396F. ATE Super Blue is identical in specification to the ATE TYP 200 brake fluid.
ATE Super Blue is compatible and will mix with most DOT3, DOT4, or DOT 5.1 Fluids.

more info
For the brake pads i did use the hawk hp plus they are around 140$ cdn (tirerack)they perform very well even when they are cold.

For the rear check for the genuine parts they are usually a lot better than jobber.

Focus have a very great stoping power , you dont need the use of slotted or cross drilled rotor when you use good pads.

good luck

01-yellow-ZX3

I also have the Hawk HPS pads, but they were only $100 from a local Speed Shop.

I'd recommend them, they're nice and dustless too.
01-yellow-ZX3,Apr 4 2005 Wrote:I also have the Hawk HPS pads, but they were only $100 from a local Speed Shop.

I'd recommend them, they're nice and dustless too.
[right][snapback]99027[/snapback][/right]

How are the Hawks compared to the EBC green stuff? I had EBC on the neon R/t before the were pretty good. they are also dust free.

01-yellow-ZX3

A buddy of mine has the EBC pads, he doesn't think very highly of them. He set them on fire once actually!

And they create way more dust than you'd think for a "dustless pad".
brembo blanks, hawk hps, OEM brake fluid.. worked great for the street and autoX for me in the focus, vw and honda...

also, for bragging about dry boiling point brake fluid, best bang for the buck is ford HD dot3.. 550F dry boiling point
I run EBC green stuff pads with EBC slotted / drilled rotors. I like em. I have never tried any other combo so I can't comment on how they stack up to anything other than stock and they are better for sure! :D
ZOOM,Apr 5 2005, 04:37 AM Wrote:I run EBC green stuff pads with EBC slotted / drilled rotors. I like em. I have never tried any other combo so I can't comment on how they stack up to anything other than stock and they are better for sure! :D
[right][snapback]99045[/snapback][/right]
carbo tech are the best...
I'm on 83k and I'm still sporting my stock pads and rotors.!
That's the major advantage of running ceramic/kevlar pas over semi-metallics... I'd say my brade dust has been reduced by a good 80 - 90%... not even exagerrating... even under HEAVY braking it generates hardly any dust... this is of course a serious advantage if you are considering rims in the future, as that dust is highly corrosive. Someone was trying to sell a nice set of rims a while back that had the clear coat on them just wrecked by the dust... the buyer repaired them with a little patience and elbow grease, but the point is the damage was done as a result of too much dust. Ceramic pads will chew your rotors up faster, but they certainly keep the dust down
i got replacement brembos, hps pads and ss russel brake lines.. works good compared to stock setup :P
Raine,Apr 5 2005, 11:23 AM Wrote:That's the major advantage of running ceramic/kevlar pas over semi-metallics... I'd say my brade dust has been reduced by a good 80 - 90%... not even exagerrating... even under HEAVY braking it generates hardly any dust... this is of course a serious advantage if you are considering rims in the future, as that dust is highly corrosive. Someone was trying to sell a nice set of rims a while back that had the clear coat on them just wrecked by the dust... the buyer repaired them with a little patience and elbow grease, but the point is the damage was done as a result of too much dust. Ceramic pads will chew your rotors up faster, but they certainly keep the dust down
[right][snapback]99101[/snapback][/right]

Not if you wash the car once a week! :P
hawk hps dust much less than stock, but i don't think there is really any performance advantage.. i thought the stockers were pretty good...
Brembo plain rotor w/ Wagner Thermos Quiet premium brake pads. its a bit better and more durable compare to the OEM parts.

... less costy than OEM brakes too :lol:
i've been having really good feedback from customers about Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS pads, minimal dust, great cold bite and strong performance at the autoX. and for the SVT, OEM rotors and Hawk HP+ fron pads and HPS rear pads.

i think the standard for rear shoes is Mintex still as they squeak the least!
Pages: 1 2