FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Who Has A Tach?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Gonna get an autometer tach from my cousin and wanted to know if anybody in here has one and where did they put it... pics would be sweet
Mine is where some guy on the assembly line in Michigan put it.
2001 ZTS,Apr 4 2005, 08:06 PM Wrote:Mine is where some guy on the assembly line in Michigan put it.
[right][snapback]98966[/snapback][/right]

I knew I was gonna get one of those replies... didn't expect it to be so soon.
most cars i have seen with an aftermarket tach have it mounted between the the A pillar and the slope that covers the gauges.

if i was going to do it, i'd try to mount it on the steering column to mimic a factory install, and to avoid the MaDD titE look of a monster-size tach on the dash
If you have a tach already why not just a shift light? They are programable these days.
2001 ZTS,Apr 4 2005, 08:17 PM Wrote:If you have a tach already why not just a shift light? They are programable these days.
[right][snapback]98974[/snapback][/right]

Well I'm gettin tach free so why not a tach? :D
If your getting them free Why not hook a member up here :)
Chromey,Apr 4 2005, 08:23 PM Wrote:If your getting them free Why not hook a member up here :)
[right][snapback]98976[/snapback][/right]

Im only gettin one of em.... cousin got a white faced one and is giving me the black faced one he had on his talon.
dabigmandan,Apr 4 2005, 08:20 PM Wrote:Well I'm gettin tach free so why not a tach? :D
[right][snapback]98975[/snapback][/right]

Free is good, I don't know what this unit looks like but it is my duty around here to discourage "m0nst3r r1c3 t4ch" look. It is a burden I must carry, people around here expect it. I have a rep, like "naz" does and I am role playing for lack of a better description. ;)

2001 ZTS,Apr 4 2005, 08:29 PM Wrote:
dabigmandan,Apr 4 2005, 08:20 PM Wrote:Well I'm gettin tach free so why not a tach? :D
[right][snapback]98975[/snapback][/right]

Free is good, I don't know what this unit looks like but it is my duty around here to discourage "m0nst3r r1c3 t4ch" look. It is a burden I must carry, people around here expect it. I have a rep, like "naz" does and I am role playing for lack of a better description. ;)
[right][snapback]98979[/snapback][/right]

LOL... actually I think it is a monster tach... but if i dont think it looks good then I just wont put it on... simple as that

and we appreciate your watchful eye.
you need a tach adaptor from what understand for our car.
ZOOM,Apr 4 2005, 09:02 PM Wrote:you need a tach adaptor from what understand for our car.
[right][snapback]98992[/snapback][/right]

i see, and where abouts would i get one and where does it hook up to?
You can pipe the signal wire directly into pin...

one sec.

*ahem* Pin #48 coming out of the ECU. Apparently they're all labelled.

And as for my tach, it's shy. It makes me hold down the trip odometer button before I start the car, and then press the button 8 times after I start the engine. :P

01-yellow-ZX3

You'll need a tach adapter, I think Ford Racing makes one.
2001 ZTS,Apr 5 2005, 01:17 AM Wrote:If you have a tach already why not just a shift light? They are programable these days.
[right][snapback]98974[/snapback][/right]

maybe his new engine makes power past the 8000rpm mark where the stock tach finishes and so his stock tach is useless.

oh wait.. i'm not on a honda board anymore :ph34r:

my friend just got out of a ford mechanics course - and ya - hold down the odometer turn the key forward, it will do a full gauge check and then start your car and click over to the tach.

see ya :ph34r:
focusnme,Apr 5 2005, 08:07 AM Wrote:my friend just got out of a ford mechanics course - and ya - hold down the odometer turn the key forward, it will do a full gauge check and then start your car and click over to the  tach.

see ya :ph34r:
[right][snapback]99076[/snapback][/right]

That is just the tip of the iceberg.

It's somewhere in the Focus hacks section if you want to see everything it does.
Make sure you get one of those ones as big as your head...

those look cool. B)
ANTHONYD,Apr 5 2005, 08:47 AM Wrote:Make sure you get one of those ones as big as your head...

those look cool. B)
[right][snapback]99082[/snapback][/right]

sheesh... you can almost cut the sarcasm with a knife :blink:
One thing I still dont understand.... if I do this:

Drop down the glove box (if you don't know how to do that, don't bother modding).
Pull off panels that run just to the right of that (along your door jamb).
Locate ECU behind/to the right of the glovebox and trace the wires down to the the black harness.
Wiggle some [censored] around until you can see where all the wires go in; you'll notice numbers at either side of each set of wires.
Find the number that is close to 48 and count backwards (or maybe if was forwards). It'll be vacant.
Strip your wire off enough and jam it in there.
Zip tie it in place.
Reassemble.
(compliments of focaljet)

do I still need the tach driver/adapter?
Pages: 1 2