FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Let's Talk Lowering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey All

I'm considering lowering my 06 ZX5 (about 50K) with the GFX kit. I'm a little confused with my "options" ...

Lets first start with the basics.. my car is my daily driver and I am not planning on doing autoX or track stuff. I am currently rolling on stock 16in wheels. I am also using the stock tire size.

I dont want a super low drop, so right now I am looking at the Eibach Pro-Kit.

What else do I *need* to do? Do I need new shocks/struts? What about dampers?

:huh:

Thanks,
I just installed the FRPP suspension kit on my 2007 ZX3 with GFX. It's a great kit, handles awesome but not too harsh. It feels very similar under normal driving, maybe a little harsher when you hit a bump/pothole at speed but other than that it's fine. Cornering is great, nice and flat with little to no body roll. Lower's it about 1 1/2", maybe a shade more but looks great. I use a hitch mounted bike rack on the back so I didn't want to lower it too much for risk of scraping. Little to none so far.
Well on my 02 I installed the Eibach Pro Kit spring only. I am running the stock struts as well. The drop is 1.5" and the handling is far superior to the stock set up. I have around 160K on the car. I also have the stock rims and tire size. It did tighten the feel of the car and I have only had a couple problems with bottoming durring exiting the local Tim Hortons with a steep driveway. It damaged my heat shield for the exhaust.
So none of you guys replaced the shocks/struts/dampers? What about camber issues?
StreetEdition,Apr 30 2009, 06:29 AM Wrote:So none of you guys replaced the shocks/struts/dampers?  What about camber issues?
[right][snapback]286174[/snapback][/right]

I had the Eibach pro-kit on the late wagon ... I used the rear camber kit and it worked fine ... I also installed the front camber kit and had nothing but problems with it (spring kept slipping off strut bearing because the cheapo camber kit doesn't adjust the seat angle) ... so eventually we just took them off. As it turns out the front camber was just within specs anyway - it certainly drove good and after 50k with the pro-kit on I saw no strange tire wear.

I also stayed with the stock dampers (wagon comes with h/d to begin with) for about 20k - - they worked very well IMO but I eventually replaced them with Euro-spec Ford (ST-170) on the front and KYB on the rear just because I was beginning to track the car.
By the sounds of it, Krusty above put in the complete FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts) suspension kit. To me that is the springs and dampers.

Since it's an 06, I'd go with the M-5560-ZX3B springs and the M-18000-ZX3B dampers. You could go with the Dynamic dampers (M-18000-ZXM1), but they are more aggressive...

Do you have a rear sway bar already?

Ryan
Focus man, Focus.,Apr 30 2009, 06:41 AM Wrote:Well on my 02 I installed the Eibach Pro Kit spring only. I am running the stock struts as well. The drop is 1.5" and the handling is far superior to the stock set up. I have around 160K on the car. I also have the stock rims and tire size. It did tighten the feel of the car and I have only had a couple problems with bottoming durring exiting the local Tim Hortons with a steep driveway. It damaged my heat shield for the exhaust.
[right][snapback]286170[/snapback][/right]

This is what happens when you drink double-double , you damage your car . Try McDonalds , they have better coffee and it comes without the addictive s@#t. :lol:
StreetEdition,Apr 30 2009, 12:31 AM Wrote:Hey All

I'm considering lowering my 06 ZX5 (about 50K) with the GFX kit.  I'm a little confused with my "options" ...

Lets first start with the basics.. my car is my daily driver and I am not planning on doing autoX or track stuff.  I am currently rolling on stock 16in wheels.  I am also using the stock tire size.

I dont want a super low drop, so right now I am looking at the Eibach Pro-Kit.

What else do I *need* to do?  Do I need new shocks/struts?  What about dampers?

:huh:

Thanks,
[right][snapback]286168[/snapback][/right]

Have you considered a Focus SVT kit ? http://steeda.ca/_M-18000-ZX3_SVT_Focus_Damper_Kit.asp . They are pretty cheap and I saw US sites where the kit had springs also for around $ 200 US
Check this one out : http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageActio...PROD&ProdID=477
I know this kit works for Focus 00-05 , not sure about the difference for 06
Gabriel,Apr 30 2009, 11:19 AM Wrote:
Focus man, Focus.,Apr 30 2009, 06:41 AM Wrote:Well on my 02 I installed the Eibach Pro Kit spring only. I am running the stock struts as well. The drop is 1.5" and the handling is far superior to the stock set up. I have around 160K on the car. I also have the stock rims and tire size. It did tighten the feel of the car and I have only had a couple problems with bottoming durring exiting the local Tim Hortons with a steep driveway. It damaged my heat shield for the exhaust.

This is what happens when you drink double-double , you damage your car . Try McDonalds , they have better coffee and it comes without the addictive s@#t. :lol:
[right][snapback]286211[/snapback][/right]

I blamed the wife. :rolleyes:
Focus man, Focus.,Apr 30 2009, 01:39 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]286226[/snapback][/right]

In a woman's world ? Good luck ! :D
Gabriel,Apr 30 2009, 12:54 PM Wrote:

I am woman's world ? Good luck ! :D
[right][snapback]286227[/snapback][/right]

She wasn't even in the car, she sent me to get a can of coffee at 11:30 at night.

But I don't understand what you were trying to say in your post.
Focus man, Focus.,Apr 30 2009, 02:11 PM Wrote:
Gabriel,Apr 30 2009, 12:54 PM Wrote:

I am woman's world ? Good luck ! :D
[right][snapback]286227[/snapback][/right]

She wasn't even in the car, she sent me to get a can of coffee at 11:30 at night.

But I don't understand what you were trying to say in your post.
[right][snapback]286233[/snapback][/right]

God damn ! I must be losing my mind , I meant to say IN A WOMAN'S WORLD , sorry :ph34r:
I cleaned up the mess in the previous post , sorry , I was in a hurry to go to the gym and I didn't pay proper attention
SVT kit only works up to mid 2005 models unfortunately. But if that were an option i'd definitely recommend it, this setup made my car come to life! Only option would be (as posted above) the Ford Racing (FRPP) setup, which is just as good and an even lower drop.
euro_zx5,Apr 30 2009, 06:24 PM Wrote:SVT kit only works up to mid 2005 models unfortunately. But if that were an option i'd definitely recommend it, this setup made my car come to life! Only option would be (as posted above) the Ford Racing (FRPP) setup, which is just as good and an even lower drop.
[right][snapback]286262[/snapback][/right]

AFAIK it will work ... the only difference between a 00-e05 suspension and the 05+ is the narrower spring at the bottom (and accordingly the spring mount on the strut) ... but if you are replacing both strut and spring at the same time, as long as the spring and the spring mount match, the whole assembly should otherwise fit fine.
ZTWsquared,Apr 30 2009, 08:28 PM Wrote:
euro_zx5,Apr 30 2009, 06:24 PM Wrote:SVT kit only works up to mid 2005 models unfortunately. But if that were an option i'd definitely recommend it, this setup made my car come to life! Only option would be (as posted above) the Ford Racing (FRPP) setup, which is just as good and an even lower drop.
[right][snapback]286262[/snapback][/right]

AFAIK it will work ... the only difference between a 00-e05 suspension and the 05+ is the narrower spring at the bottom (and accordingly the spring mount on the strut) ... but if you are replacing both strut and spring at the same time, as long as the spring and the spring mount match, the whole assembly should otherwise fit fine.
[right][snapback]286264[/snapback][/right]

If that's the case , then for that price (from CFM ) it can't get any better . I would check with the guys from CFM , they're pretty good ,I bought rims from there last year . Where can you get a full set of suspension for about $400 CAD (conversion and shipping included) . Just ship to a US address close to the border , go pick it up and you're in da house ! Screw taxes !
Gabriel,Apr 30 2009, 09:15 PM Wrote:If that's the case , then for that price (from CFM ) it can't get any better  . I would check with the guys from CFM , they're pretty good ,I bought rims from there last year . Where can you get a full set of suspension for about $400 CAD (conversion and shipping included) . Just ship to a US address close to the border , go pick it up and you're in da house ! Screw taxes !
[right][snapback]286266[/snapback][/right]

I ordered mine last year from Steve@Tousley Ford (via FJ). Went off without a hitch, and installed it in my driveway over a weekend!

I used the M-3000-ZX3A, which has the pre-assembled front struts, but no rear sway bar.

If what Ken is saying above is correct, that would be the ideal solution. It would be under $400 shipped and converted currently.

Ryan
A little update..

I ended up getting the Eibach Sportline springs for 165 USD shipped.. So, I think I'll just shop around for the M-18000-ZX3B kit. It will end up costing me much more to get the Omni kit plus another spring/damper kit.

Correct me if I am wrong (I am pretty sure that I am) but wasn't there someone on THIS forum who had hookups for FRPP parts? (I know of Steve @ Tousley Ford)
no steve @ tousley ford is focaljet thing..
talk to Ken, ZTWsquared, he can get you pretty much anything
If you're doing sportline, make sure you get camber adjustability. I have a prokit spring setup on my car and decided to go with Tokico Adjustable Shocks, CFM Front Arms (camber adjustable), SPC Rear Arms (Camber Adjustable). I don't think camber bolts or SPC camber plates will give you enough adjustability.
(05-13-2010, 02:52 AM)Oscar The Grouch Wrote: [ -> ]If you're doing sportline, make sure you get camber adjustability. I have a prokit spring setup on my car and decided to go with Tokico Adjustable Shocks, CFM Front Arms (camber adjustable), SPC Rear Arms (Camber Adjustable). I don't think camber bolts or SPC camber plates will give you enough adjustability.

So you dont think the FRPP shocks/dampers kit would be a good idea?
Pages: 1 2