FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What's The Best Way To Really Clean Your Engine?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a gameplan in mind for the next couple of days, but I want to hear from the detailing pros here :)

I did a pretty good job washing the car yesterday, it looks like the day I got it (pretty much), but now I want to do a good job under the hood as well.

Do it by hand....Thats the best way....

also the longest way!!!!
[Image: simple-green.gif]
Crappy Tire for that?
2001 ZTS has the winner. It works great and isn't going to harm anything. just spray and wipe. And yes you can buy it from Canadian Tire
FINE...BE LAZY....ALL OF YOU... :angry:
[Image: toothbrush.jpg]

+

[Image: 01photo.gif]

and time.

Go slow and use a flathead screwdriver over a rag to get into the tight spots.

Then coat the engine in some tire spray.

Works wonders.
Drive through a puddle really fast!

My Micra the day I bought it...

[Image: picture.JPG]

After several hours, toothbrushes, and towels...

Foamy engine bright, let it sink in, hose off, then see what stayed behind... then you start in with the triigeer bottle of simple green and a toothbrush... this car was the grimeyest thing I've ever cleaned both inside and out.

Did the same thing to the outside too

Nice work.

It's funny too because I find my car runs nicer after I've detailed the engine.
so when you use the simple green, do you spray it on a towel and than wipe it on the engine or do you just spray the engine directly with the simple green and than wipe off? also are there parts to watch out for that shouldn't have any simple green on it? like the maf or battery terminals and such?
SLIP STREAM SVT,Mar 28 2005, 01:07 PM Wrote:so when you use the simple green, do you spray it on a towel and than wipe it on the engine or do you just spray the engine directly with the simple green and than wipe off? also are there parts to watch out for that shouldn't have any simple green on it? like the maf or battery terminals and such?
[right][snapback]97027[/snapback][/right]

Simple Green is a degreaser. It will clean off a lot of things, including the painted Zetec on the valve cover and other protective grease on things like battery terminals.

Wet down the engine first (I usually use a spray bottle). Then spray Simple Green onto the engine. Wait. Then use the rags to clean, clean, clean. Follow up with another thorough rinse of water.
SLIP STREAM SVT,Mar 28 2005, 01:07 PM Wrote:so when you use the simple green, do you spray it on a towel and than wipe it on the engine or do you just spray the engine directly with the simple green and than wipe off? also are there parts to watch out for that shouldn't have any simple green on it? like the maf or battery terminals and such?
[right][snapback]97027[/snapback][/right]

I just spray it right on the top of the motor, and then use the damp rag to touch up the electrical areas.

DO NOT LEAVE SIMPLE GREEN ON THE SURFACE TOO LONG.

It wiped off my Ztec and Ford logo clean off the engine!
wll it eat through gasket material? i've heard that washing the engine bay isnt' always that good/safe because it will expose the gaskets and may cause a leak.
SLIP STREAM SVT,Mar 28 2005, 08:50 PM Wrote:wll it eat through gasket material? i've heard that washing the engine bay isnt' always that good/safe because it will expose the gaskets and may cause a leak.
[right][snapback]97150[/snapback][/right]

They are probably refering to pressure washers. Using Simple Green (Automotive*) and following directions and warnings has not harmed any vehicle of mine and I started using it on my bike in the 80's.

*Be sure to buy Automotive (black bottle) , there are other "grades" of Simple Green".
SLIP STREAM SVT,Mar 28 2005, 08:50 PM Wrote:wll it eat through gasket material? i've heard that washing the engine bay isnt' always that good/safe because it will expose the gaskets and may cause a leak.

I've also seen people blast out there engines with pressure washers...hammering everything with excessive amounts of water....

I dunno...seems like it could be risky
microbunny,Mar 28 2005, 09:11 PM Wrote:

I've also seen people blast out there engines with pressure washers...hammering everything with excessive amounts of water....

I dunno...seems like it could be risky
[right][snapback]97157[/snapback][/right]

I have heard the same and it also includes wheel bearing seals. When I refer to Simple Green I'm just using a garden hose on "shower" and nothing else, that is how good it is. Plus the stuff is "environmentally friendly" too.

Buy one spray bottle and then a 5L refill (also at Crappy Tire) and you will rock!
Can't wait to clean it up on Saturday! Thanks for all the help guys :D
on the other hand....
pressure cleaners...good ones...they dont use thaaaaat amounts of water..just like 5% of a regular gardening hose...also..remember the degreasers always leave a white residue after using them ....so black plastic can become whiter...be careful.
Also dont use the black magic-like product you use on the tires, on your engine...!!! or on any black plastic...on the long run it will become whiter also...
(and it will get dusty really easy..)...and also its not to safe.
instead of that ..spray on some armor all...dont touch it or wipe it..let it dry..close the engine, drive the car or whatever...and in a couple of hours open it up and see what Im telling you..it will shine like no other thing...

Also if you have a lot of black "mouldings" or black plastic on your car...not only the focus...spray on the armor all (not toooo much) and let it dry...dont wipe
it, let it dry..the excess will dry also, but leave it under the sunlight.(just to get it dry)..then you'll tell me..dont know if you guys like it..but it works great.......just on the outside!!!!
I dont use armor all on the leather seats or dashboard.... :blink:

Another one..if you spray the black magic directly on the tires....after you do it...check your windows.....!!!!

just to share some hints.
delete
I found in the past armour all can leave runs or drips hard to remove! Don't over do the armour all and not in direct sunlight or a "hot" car.