FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Serpentine Belt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So about a year ago I had my alternator replaced under warranty, and they had to replace my belt as well, but didn't have any in stock so they brought one in from an outside source. Well last summer I had a set of Focus central pullies installed (two piece, retaining factory belt) And from day one the belt squeeled with the pullies. The mechanic said it was likely a coating on the pullies that just needed to wear off. Well the noise remained, and we figured I might need to go to a slightly smaller belt. I dealt with the squeeling for awhile, but not too long ago I finally got around to picking up a smaller belt and installed. It was an extremely tight fit, and got me thinking it's too small. So today I searched around on the internet, found the one i just put on is the next smaller belt, but the numbers on the belt ford put on don't match what the stock replacement belt should be. Should I go back to the dealer and try and get the proper belt? They charged me $80 for this belt, I bought the smaller one from the same place they brought it in from (Lordco) and only cost me $36. I've never left the dealership without feeling ripped off, and now I'm possibly finding out more problems that have already happened.
skifreak69,Mar 26 2005, 11:46 PM Wrote:So about a year ago I had my alternator replaced under warranty, and they had to replace my belt as well, but didn't have any in stock so they brought one in from an outside source.  Well last summer I had a set of Focus central pullies installed (two piece, retaining factory belt) And from day one the belt squeeled with the pullies.  The mechanic said it was likely a coating on the pullies that just needed to wear off.  Well the noise remained, and we figured I might need to go to a slightly smaller belt.  I dealt with the squeeling for awhile, but not too long ago I finally got around to picking up a smaller belt and installed.  It was an extremely tight fit, and got me thinking it's too small.  So today I searched around on the internet, found the one i just put on is the next smaller belt, but the numbers on the belt ford put on don't match what the stock replacement belt should be.  Should I go back to the dealer and try and get the proper belt?  They charged me $80 for this belt, I bought the smaller one from the same place they brought it in from (Lordco) and only cost me $36.  I've never left the dealership without feeling ripped off, and now I'm possibly finding out more problems that have already happened.
[right][snapback]96712[/snapback][/right]

If you have the old belt, and the receipt from the original workorder showing they used the wrong belt... go straight to head office. Keep EVERYTHING documented if you're having more problems with the engine since they did that. If FoMoCoCan won't be agreeable, and you're pissed (and rightfully so), look into getting a lawyer or hitting small claims at least.

Don't take that kind of s**t from anyone, least of all your dealer.
If you can show that the belt they put on your car is the wrong belt and caused problems because of being the wrong size then you should probably get compensated. If it's a belt that is similar enough to not make any difference in the operation of your car then I doubt they'll care enough to talk to you.

Also, how is your relationship with your service advisors at your dealership? That can make all the difference, if they actually care about keeping you happy or just want you out of the building.
skifreak69,Mar 27 2005, 12:46 AM Wrote:So about a year ago I had my alternator replaced under warranty, and they had to replace my belt as well, but didn't have any in stock so they brought one in from an outside source.  Well last summer I had a set of Focus central pullies installed (two piece, retaining factory belt) And from day one the belt squeeled with the pullies.  The mechanic said it was likely a coating on the pullies that just needed to wear off.  Well the noise remained, and we figured I might need to go to a slightly smaller belt.  I dealt with the squeeling for awhile, but not too long ago I finally got around to picking up a smaller belt and installed.  It was an extremely tight fit, and got me thinking it's too small.  So today I searched around on the internet, found the one i just put on is the next smaller belt, but the numbers on the belt ford put on don't match what the stock replacement belt should be.  Should I go back to the dealer and try and get the proper belt?  They charged me $80 for this belt, I bought the smaller one from the same place they brought it in from (Lordco) and only cost me $36.  I've never left the dealership without feeling ripped off, and now I'm possibly finding out more problems that have already happened.

It's hard to say...mainly because you waited this long before noticing.

Most likely, the technician may have improperly adjusted the belt tensioner. Then again, keep in mind the belt tensioner has been going on Focus models (based on my readings from other Focus forums, including mine).

You got charged $80 because the dealer had to source this part out. They had to do a markup on the part they obtained (they got it at their cost, and they are re-selling a good). Also, you will now most likely need to run a different sized belt because of the changed pulley dimensions. I know when I received my Ford Racing UDP, Ford Racing included a new Goodyear belt with the order.

I would just keep quiet, and actually look at replacing your belt tensioner. The last thing you want is that thing to go on you while doing 100 km/h in the left lane of a major highway :rolleyes: The stock serpentine belt was about $50, from my recollection two months ago. I'd personally say it's not worth the hassle, unless you really know the dealership staff well.

Yeah I realize the time is the problem, and because of that I likely won't bother doing anything. As for the pullies, the 2 piece focus central kit utilizes the stock belt size.
NOS2Go4Me,Mar 27 2005, 04:58 PM Wrote:
skifreak69,Mar 26 2005, 11:46 PM Wrote:So about a year ago I had my alternator replaced under warranty, and they had to replace my belt as well, but didn't have any in stock so they brought one in from an outside source.  Well last summer I had a set of Focus central pullies installed (two piece, retaining factory belt) And from day one the belt squeeled with the pullies.  The mechanic said it was likely a coating on the pullies that just needed to wear off.  Well the noise remained, and we figured I might need to go to a slightly smaller belt.  I dealt with the squeeling for awhile, but not too long ago I finally got around to picking up a smaller belt and installed.  It was an extremely tight fit, and got me thinking it's too small.  So today I searched around on the internet, found the one i just put on is the next smaller belt, but the numbers on the belt ford put on don't match what the stock replacement belt should be.  Should I go back to the dealer and try and get the proper belt?  They charged me $80 for this belt, I bought the smaller one from the same place they brought it in from (Lordco) and only cost me $36.  I've never left the dealership without feeling ripped off, and now I'm possibly finding out more problems that have already happened.

If you have the old belt, and the receipt from the original workorder showing they used the wrong belt... go straight to head office. Keep EVERYTHING documented if you're having more problems with the engine since they did that. If FoMoCoCan won't be agreeable, and you're pissed (and rightfully so), look into getting a lawyer or hitting small claims at least.

Don't take that kind of s**t from anyone, least of all your dealer.
[right][snapback]96773[/snapback][/right]

you know, since they ordered the belt from an outside source, its that company that sent the dealer the wrong belt, and the fact that they put that belt on and charged you, means that you agreed for an aftermarket belt. so now to try and go after ford motor company for putting on a belt that they dont make or supply would be stupid in my estimation.

ford motor company has nothing to do with installing aftermarket products on their cars, and the fact that you have an aftermarrket belt, and aftermarket pullies on your car doesnt help the situation any.

on another side note, sometimes there are change up in part numbers, and the belt sizes vary slightly from the stock belt size. I have come accross this several times.
GapBoyPCS,Mar 27 2005, 10:24 PM Wrote:Most likely, the technician may have improperly adjusted the belt tensioner. Then again, keep in mind the belt tensioner has been going on Focus models (based on my readings from other Focus forums, including mine).

[right][snapback]96810[/snapback][/right]

the tensioners are not adjustable on the focus. They are spring loaded, as long as the pulley moves freely, and the tensioner is not seized, then there is nothing you can do to screw it up
You put underdrive pullies on. They are going to say that's why it's squeeling. You had it on for a year with no problems. It's to late to do anything even if you did not put on pullies.
Yeah I'm not going to bother doing anything. Went and picked up the proper size belt today. I was just frustrated when i realized that I had the wrong size belt.