FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: For Those With Adjustable Timing Gears
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, we need a hand here. WIth the install underway, we were looking at the upper timing belt cover, which has tabs that fit into the lower timing belt cover. The upper is plastic, the lower aluminum or soft metal alloy.
Anyway, it seems impossible to remove the upper cover to adjust the cam gears. It looks like we have to break two tabs at the bottom of the cover to remove it from the lower to make the two of them separate pieces in order to get the upper off.

Anyone worked around this problem?

Is there an aftermarket timing gear cover that allows for easy access to the cam gears?

On a side not, the install is going well. We did find oil in the intake manifold, caused by the blow-by i have brought up several times. I love being right and the kid was wrong. It should be a simple fix of changing the PCV valve.
We did find a cracked valve stem. Not overly harmful yet, but a good thing we caught it before it became pieces in the engine.
lol, your talking about breaking the gear cover off, then oil in intake, and all of a suddent your into the valvetrain.... :huh:

btw, you can remove the plastic crap without breaking it. :lol:

and I dont know of anyone making an aftermarket one. :)
For those of you, like MARC, who don't know what were doing, we are putting on a new racing head, shaved, from Ford Racing, parts of a new exhaust, cams--Stge 2, cam gears adjustable, MAF upgrade to SVT, injectors upgraded to 38lb, and a few cosmetic things.
The upper timing cover cannot come off MArc without removing the lower timing cover, which is a bitch to get off. There are tabs on the upper timing cover that link the two together. I am talking about breaking the tabs to separate the two.
meford4u,Mar 22 2005, 12:11 AM Wrote:.......we were looking at the upper timing belt cover, which has tabs that fit into the lower timing belt cover.  The upper is plastic, the lower aluminum or soft metal alloy.
[right][snapback]95451[/snapback][/right]

I'm confused? I thought the lower cover was plastic too? Jay did the work for me but we had to cut away a segment of the lower when we put on the UDP and I'm sure it was plastic. I dont remember how the upper portion was attached but thought it was just a couple screws and on and off in seconds?
It isn't plastic on ours. The two units are seemed at the bottom of the upper and top of the lower. It looks from the onset that it's just a couple of screws, but there are studs coming from the bottom cover that attach to the upper, and in that area is where the two are seemed.
meford4u,Mar 22 2005, 01:52 AM Wrote:It isn't plastic on ours.  The two units are seemed at the bottom of the upper and top of the lower.  It looks from the onset that it's just a couple of screws, but there are studs coming from the bottom cover that attach to the upper, and in that area is where the two are seemed.
[right][snapback]95485[/snapback][/right]

What year? Does engine VIN match the body VIN?

Maybe they swapped engines and you have a supercharged 1.4L ZETEC? :lol:

EDIT: yours is a regular ZETEC and not a SVT correct? If it is a very early 2000 it may be one of the minor irregularities that happened when they rushed it over here (ex/ same as situation with intake manifold)?
I glanced over the Ford Racing catalogue at the dealer today and noticed an aftermarket lower timing chain cover that was metal. I don't remember if it was for the Focus or the Mustang, but it looked like what we have.

Maybe they put on the aftermarket.

regular zetec non svt early 2000 model
meford4u,Mar 22 2005, 03:03 AM Wrote:I glanced over the Ford Racing catalogue at the dealer today and noticed an aftermarket lower timing chain cover that was metal.  I don't remember if it was for the Focus or the Mustang, but it looked like what we have.

Maybe they put on the aftermarket.

regular zetec non svt early 2000 model
[right][snapback]95518[/snapback][/right]

Maybe the Ford dealer out west (and now yourself) because of unknown connections the first owners had are the proud owner of an authentic European production model but something that wasn't available here?

Go to the Ford.ca site find "search" and enter "recall" then press "go". From there you should be able to find a link to a recall info page enter your VIN. If it doesn't accept then you are the owner of a foreign engine 2.0L ZETEC most likely???????????????
I've got recall!!!!!!!!!!!

01S24 WIPER MOTOR GEAR COVER
02S42 PINCH BOLT TORQUE AND ZETEC ENGINE BATTERY CABLE ROUTING

They did all kinds of tricked out s**t to this car that we are now figuring out. I would have been happy if they just put all the bolts back.

Fuktards

If someone has the PDF for the Ford Racing cat., I could find it again and see if it's for the Focus or the Mustang.
meford4u,Mar 22 2005, 03:43 AM Wrote:I've got recall!!!!!!!!!!!

[right][snapback]95535[/snapback][/right]
Now you truly belong, :(
Ok, I found a pic on eBay of what I am talking about. Look at the pic on the upper RHS. See the numbers on the upper timing belt cover. Right below it is the middle timing/ camshaft cover. Where the middl set of pullies are. That piece is metal and if you look at the bottom of the plastic piece you can see the two of them are seemed together. not permanently seemed, you have to take off the lower part before the upper timing belt cover.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW
Just so I am clear, if you are talking about the black plastic piece that covers the cam gears..that just come off, better when hot so it don't break but it comes off without removing the engine mount..not according to the Ford Manual..but it does. Most times if done when cold it breaks.

There should be 4 bolts holding that cover on and it just slides up afterwards.

If you are talking about below that like on the actual motor, never took mine apart.

And P.S. i suggest running without it till the gears are tuned then just putting it back on.
Meford, their is no way you need to remove the metal bottom part to pull of the plastic cam gear cover.

Just remove the bolts then pull on the sucker.

:)
Ok, so a little tug never hurt anyone.

Except Peewee herman

Thanks guys.
Not a good day. Just got a call from the boy at work on the car. They put the new head on, had it installed and everything was going well until they turned the motor over, by hand, to check for fitment.

SNAP

Camshaft broke in two.

I guess the old cams are going back in for now until we settle the cam issue and no timing gears for now.

Thats shitty. <_<
Ouch..........what cams were they? what grind?

Stage 2 Ford Racing

Apparently, after speaking with Ford, in order you put these cams in, you need to put in Crowler springs and lifters to allow for the enlarged cams. I thought we had done that but I'll have to go back and see where we went wrong.

I'm freaking out right now. I told the boy to do what he can without putting the old cams in, we will send out the head for re-work and worry about it after the trip. He wants to put the old cams back in and I am afraid that the setup with the lifters, valves and stems is not setup for the old cams we have and will cause further complications.

What a friggin mess. I need a beer.
Want a little more drama?
After looking at the cat, what cat?
completely hollowed out.
Oh well, now that i have settled down a little, the best thing to do is have another beer. If the car doesn't run tomorrow, i told him not to worry, bring it home and we'll fix it after the trip.

I'm picturing you coming home with a SVT crate engine.

Is there much difference between a SVT JRSC and a ZX JRSC? could it be swapped with just a few odds and ends? the "guts" are the same are they not?
Pages: 1 2