FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Potholes!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so i get the car back from the dealerhsip saturday to put the sensor back in that they forgot, got a white 05 wagon for a loaner...i was impressed...

any ways come out of the dealership and heading home, coming across Idylwyld and all of a sudden WHAM!! its like i hit a curb going 60...i was like FVCKING POTHOLES...keep driving and then the vibrating kicks in...so i see a crappy tire and pull in...tire is dead flat...fahq!

so i run into crappy tire at 6 on the nose...they cant help me becuase they close at 6. So it's frezzing steven outside and i phone CAA to put the donut on...take it into tire craft down the street this morning, yah, the rim is BENT TO s**t!!!

so he is gonna repair it hopefully and i might be abale to save the tire...

can i hit up the town of saskatoon on this one??
FociPhil,Mar 21 2005, 11:06 AM Wrote:can i hit up the town of saskatoon on this one??
[right][snapback]95311[/snapback][/right]

Good luck.. with all the pothole complaints and other people in the same boat as you I'm sure it'll be a fight to get any money out of them. This time of year is really bad for SK roads and our clay soil content helps make the potholes even bigger.
I dunno, probably not Phil.... it sucks.

BTW, DO NOT take the Circle Drive exit onto Idylwyld heading NORTH. The pothole there is a couple feet deep, no s**t. I hit the edge with my car and damn near lauched it.

Amazingly I didn't get any damage or the car.

I've never seen it this bad before. It's very common here in Saskatoon (Saskatchewan) so I doubt they will do a damn thing about it.

OT - just found out that the City Police hiring is on hold cause of lack of funds which absolutely sucks for me since I had one more step into getting hired for this August.

I swear, don't be shocked if I am in Edmonton living there by the end of the year.
driving in sask requires a skill. soon you will figure what roads to take and what ones not to. Driving in sask with a kit and 35 series rubber can be really tricky at time but me and jarrod seem to manage it no problem...
You drive 2km's a week. No wonder you can manage it. :P
Jeez, at least someone has it worse than North Bay for a change. Potholes are so bad here in the truck lanes... I'm just glad the Focus handles as well as it does. Sara tends to either enjoy or hate my driving depending on how full her stomach is with the potholes being as bad as they are this year. :P

well i just got off the phone with the tire shop, 130 to repair the rim and 250 for a new tire!! :blink: final total 410!!! thats bullshit, i told the guy, hey man i give this car back on lease in 10 months, just give me a used one or cheap one...he gives me some speech about, i dont wanna give you something that is different from the other 4 tires, blah blah...so i called some small shop and they have like 6 used ones, same tire for 40-100 bucks...

so instead of 410, im looking at 250 probly...

FociPhil,Mar 21 2005, 02:27 PM Wrote:well i just got off the phone with the tire shop, 130 to repair the rim and 250 for a new tire!!  :blink:  final total 410!!! thats bullshit, i told the guy, hey man i give this car back on lease in 10 months, just give me a used one or cheap one...he gives me some speech about, i dont wanna give you something that is different from the other 4 tires, blah blah...so i called some small shop and they have like 6 used ones, same tire for 40-100 bucks...

[right][snapback]95387[/snapback][/right]

Is this your car or a rental Phil? From Discount?
S2,Mar 21 2005, 04:31 PM Wrote:
FociPhil,Mar 21 2005, 02:27 PM Wrote:well i just got off the phone with the tire shop, 130 to repair the rim and 250 for a new tire!!  :blink:  final total 410!!! thats bullshit, i told the guy, hey man i give this car back on lease in 10 months, just give me a used one or cheap one...he gives me some speech about, i dont wanna give you something that is different from the other 4 tires, blah blah...so i called some small shop and they have like 6 used ones, same tire for 40-100 bucks...

[right][snapback]95387[/snapback][/right]

Is this your car or a rental Phil? From Discount?
[right][snapback]95389[/snapback][/right]

yeah, dont you get some sort of insurance with the rental???
no my ZTS....i gave back the rental/ courtesy car back to the dealership, picked up the ZTS, and on the way home hit the pothole....NICE HEY!?!?
FociPhil,Mar 21 2005, 03:06 PM Wrote:no my ZTS....i gave back the rental/ courtesy car back to the dealership, picked up the ZTS, and on the way home hit the pothole....NICE HEY!?!?
[right][snapback]95400[/snapback][/right]

Figures Phil.... just figures.....

On a side note, when's the next round of wings/brew?
hahah i was just thinking about that (heard a commercial on the radio for joe dogg's 15 cent wings....mmmm)

maybe mid april???i think we said when it was warmwer we would, but looks like spring is a while away... :angry:
Flofocus,Mar 21 2005, 11:54 AM Wrote:You drive 2km's a week.  No wonder you can manage it.  :P
[right][snapback]95359[/snapback][/right]

sshhhh :P

phil do u have a package policy? I know my insurance covers my rims in case I hit a pothole. Only thing they dont cover is curbing witch I found out lol
guilty,Mar 21 2005, 11:11 AM Wrote:
FociPhil,Mar 21 2005, 11:06 AM Wrote:can i hit up the town of saskatoon on this one??
[right][snapback]95311[/snapback][/right]

This time of year is really bad for SK roads and our clay soil content helps make the potholes even bigger.
[right][snapback]95313[/snapback][/right]

I think Winnipeg is the pothole capital of Canada and the city always gets claims for damage. I don't think they payout too many though. Potholes are caused by the freeze/thaw cycle in poor condition asphalt. Water in crack freezes and expands overnight allowing the next days water to get that much further, repeating until the patching truck gets there or a hole one foot deep tears off your passenger side wheels as I seen on the news today. Also, not spending money on road maintenance helps. Poor provinces I guess.
winnipegkevin,Mar 21 2005, 09:22 PM Wrote:Potholes are caused by the freeze/thaw cycle in poor condition asphalt.  Water in crack freezes and expands overnight allowing the next days water to get that much further, repeating until the patching truck gets there or a hole one foot deep tears off your passenger side wheels as I seen on the news today.  Also, not spending money on road maintenance helps.  Poor provinces I guess.
[right][snapback]95526[/snapback][/right]

The roads here deteriorate fairly fast also, since the high clay content in the soil soaks up water and expands, dries out and contracts and cracks the roads. It's a good way to speed up the pothole process. Same reason why a lot of older properties have houses on a mean slant.
[/quote]

The roads here deteriorate fairly fast also, since the high clay content in the soil soaks up water and expands, dries out and contracts and cracks the roads. It's a good way to speed up the pothole process. Same reason why a lot of older properties have houses on a mean slant.
[right][snapback]95554[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It is somewhat true about older houses, my house is 80 years old and does move due to freezing of the perimeter walls while remaining warm around the interior pads in the winter. Most roads that I have investigated have 1' to 4' of granular base materials underneath them and the clay has very minimal effect under typical conditions. The service life of roads being exceeded by ten years is usaully a good reason they fail. My wife is a soils engineer and ok'd this post.
The worst roads for potholes is PEI, though that may have changed now that the bridge is there.

There is no natural source of gravel on the island so the road beds were always very poorly (thinly) constructed if gravel was used at all.
No gravel is very bad for building roads.