FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Timing Belt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

01-yellow-ZX3

Whats the cost on the timing belt from Ford?

How many hours labor is it to install? Should a professional mechanic be able to do it in an hour?

When should they be replaced? When did everybody else replace theirs?

I'm at low 80's kms and mine is starting to show some wear. Like the teeth and all look fine, but the non-teeth side of the belt has some small cracks. Isn't 80,000kms a bit early to be showing wear?

Because we are putting on a new head, cams and gears, the boy felt it was prudent just to do the timing belt at the same time.
Part number F8CZ 6268 AA $59.73

I think he mentioned that he is going to drop part of the engine to do this work. So it sounds like something to leave to the pro's. But I'll double check with him when he gets home.

Ok, he came home. He said do the water pump at the same time. No more labour involved, just the cost of the part.
He is raising the motor, not lowering it.
About 6 hours at a shop.

01-yellow-ZX3

Sweet, a part # and a price, what more could I ask for! Thanks meford4u.

Replace the water pump at the same time eh? I'll have to check to see if its covered under my extended warranty first I guess.
Richard (gapboypcs) just had his timing belt done recently...ask him what it ended up costing..

Vito :)

01-yellow-ZX3

Does gapboy frequent these boards anymore?
i really have to stress this to anyone who is not aware... the timing belt is one of the most important maintenence jobs to do!. it should be done every 80,000kms on all cars. some cars like honda's say every 100,000 but i have seen honda's snap belts at 70,000kms. if you are running stock cams and stock internals the worst that should happen if the timing belt snaps on your focus, is the best snaps and needs to be replaced. the car is "supposed" to be a "non-interfearnce" (SP?)however there have been people who say they have bent valves or worse from a timing belt snapping in their Focus

6 hours to do a water pump and timing belt????
WOW?! :blink:

it shouldn't take a mechanic more than 4 hours to do such an easy job.

i had the timing belt changed last year, mechanic said it was an easy job and he has done it in around an hour!

6 hours? i guess he was not a mechanic :P :D or was enjoying his beer :lol:
doesn't it say to replace camshaft belt every 200000km ?

Same for accessory belt

01-yellow-ZX3

The 6 hours meford4U was talking about was for the head install etc.
ZX3TUNING,Mar 21 2005, 04:48 AM Wrote:i really have to stress this to anyone who is not aware... the timing belt is one of the most important maintenence jobs to do!. it should be done every 80,000kms on all cars. some cars like honda's say every 100,000 but i have seen honda's snap belts at 70,000kms.

And if you drive the snot out of your car, like WE ALL SHOULD, downshifting in the upper rev range all the time wears the belt out faster. Gapboys is an auto, so I figure his must have lasted over 140,000 :rolleyes:

Any experienced mechanic (Ford,Honda,whatever) should have this and the waterpump done in less than an hour, and then add an other hour adjusting the valves while you're there.
01-yellow-ZX3,Mar 21 2005 Wrote:The 6 hours meford4U was talking about was for the head install etc.
[right][snapback]95292[/snapback][/right]

This is true. Sorry for the overestimation.
I'm at 76K and have all my belts, yadda yadda inspected every time I have the car in for service. I also poke my head in there every week or two the if weather permits and have a peek.

So far as I know my timing belt hasn't been replaced. I'll keep an eye on it a little more now, though.
Trust me on this one....from personal experience, my Focus engine was non-interference...THANK GOD! ;)

CanadaSVT,Mar 21 2005, 07:57 AM Wrote:and then add an other hour adjusting the valves while you're there.
[right][snapback]95294[/snapback][/right]

Solid buckets in the Zetec make it impossible to adjust the valves, just FYI.
ZX3TUNING,Mar 21 2005, 11:33 PM Wrote:
CanadaSVT,Mar 21 2005, 07:57 AM Wrote:and then add an other hour adjusting the valves while you're there.

[right][snapback]95531[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for letting me learn something today :) Ahh, makes me miss my 89 Si even more.
01-yellow-ZX3,Mar 21 2005 Wrote:Does gapboy frequent these boards anymore?
[right][snapback]95238[/snapback][/right]

I'm still around...just it's coming around fiscal year end and HQ needs some of my work :)

Cost of a timing belt replacement from a Ford dealer: Under $350

Part# 988Z*6268*B2A $49.01 (somehow, I got a different part number than meford4u)
Labour came to under 3 hours

Ford recommends the timing belt be replaced at 200,000 km. My dealership downgraded that to 160,000 km. In any case, everyone's personal driving is different, so it pays to take a looksie. For the SPI engine, Ford recommends 100,000 km intervals.

I will recommend that people do their serpentine belts at the same time. It makes life a LOT easier. Also, replace the belt tensioner because they are getting known for failing.

I replaced my belt at 192,000 km. Actually, I think the replacement HELPED my fuel economy :D
ZX3TUNING,Mar 22 2005, 03:33 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]95531[/snapback][/right]

the caps are changeable. You change the cap size to adjust the valve clearance. So technically they are adjustable.

I would say it would probably cost around 3 hours labour to change the timing belt. I am not a fan of replacing compnents that dont have problems, so I personally would not replace the waterpump at the same time, but thats all a matter of preferance. ive probably only seen one focus at my shop with a waterpump problem. ive seen more problems with timing belt tensioner pulleys, than I have from waterpumps.
I've replaced water pumps on power boats often, is it the water pump or just the rubber impellor belonging to the water p/p? The impellor is a $15 part in most cases.