FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What If I.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been toying with the idea of an aftermarket sunroof.
After seeing the backseat map light mod I had another idea. Well an extensionof the first one.
Would 2 sunroofs be weird? It's a wagon so there's plenty of roof.
I can't seem to find any pics on my ford cd for the roof. Not sure how many 'vital' cross members there are.

Thoughts?
j3rt,Mar 19 2005, 02:27 AM Wrote:I've been toying with the idea of an aftermarket sunroof.
After seeing the backseat map light mod I had another idea.  Well an extensionof the first one.
Would 2 sunroofs be weird?  It's a wagon so there's plenty of roof.
I can't seem to find any pics on my ford cd for the roof.  Not sure how many 'vital' cross members there are.

Thoughts?
[right][snapback]94663[/snapback][/right]

Subaru Outback (or Forester?) comes with two from the factory, go for it.

EDIT: The 2004 and earlier Outback had two, the 2005 now has one big one with two panels. There is a GM product with a sunroof that has four "leaves" BTW, cant remeber which one. Pontiac I think?
Pontiac G6 has the 3 or 4 pannel roof, kinda cool.

Toyota Matrix concept at the auto show one year had 2 sunroofs, looked real good you should go for it! B)
while were on the subject of sunroofs, how simple are they to add one to a, let's say, sedan, that doesn't already have one?
The roof in most Fords have, for better lack of words, splines that attach themselves to the bodysides every 8-10 inches. I think they take out 1 spline to install the sunroof. The only problem I could see is where you intend to put the 2nd rear sunroof, the spline above the rear seat, where the rear of the back door meets the rear window, is integral to the body shape and construction of the car to alow for some flex, but at the same time stiffening the structure of the body sides and roof. I'm not the engineer here, but I think that any 2nd sunroof would cause a structure problem because of the removal of that spline.
Sunroof group buy? I'd definately be up for it. always wanted one
I dont think 2 would / should effect the car at all. If you are that worried, reinforce inbetween them. When the headliner is off and your looking at raw metal .. this is easy.
meford4u,Mar 19 2005, 12:46 AM Wrote:The roof in most Fords have, for better lack of words, splines that attach themselves to the bodysides every 8-10 inches.  I think they take out 1 spline to install the sunroof.  The only problem I could see is where you intend to put the 2nd rear sunroof, the spline above the rear seat, where the rear of the back door meets the rear window, is integral to the body shape and construction of the car to alow for some flex, but at the same time stiffening the structure of the body sides and roof.  I'm not the engineer here, but I think that any 2nd sunroof would cause a structure problem because of the removal of that spline.
[right][snapback]94700[/snapback][/right]

I was going to suggest the same comment.

I think the structural integrety of your car would go for a s**t.
Heaven forbid you roll the wagon in a ditch. I would hate to see something horrific happen because of a mod.

If you could get a stiff bar welded in by a shop to ensure you don's screw witht he integrity of the structure.... I say go for it. It certainly would be a Focus first.... Something that happens few and far between these days!
With my Karma, the day i roll the wagon, is the day it lands ontop of a spike or tree trunk and skewers my brain. (less resistance if there's a sunroof i guess).

I guess i'll truck down to the dealership, they have a body shop/aftermarket blah blah in the back of the lot. Get their professional opinion.

I was thinking of something similar but instead of 2 sunroofs i was thinking of putting in one of those sliding ragtops. Has anyone ever tried to put one in a focus? Just wondering if it's possible.
habmann,Mar 19 2005, 12:33 PM Wrote:I was thinking of something similar but instead of 2 sunroofs i was thinking of putting in one of those sliding ragtops. Has anyone ever tried to put one in a focus? Just wondering if it's possible.
[right][snapback]94806[/snapback][/right]

I've seen it done on show cars(focus wagon) and they had a surf board sticking out the roof. Looked really sweet, just not sure how safe it would be for a daily driver??

You guys could also throw in a roll cage if you're worried that much about it! :lol:
The prob i'm having with it is that i've got a ZX3 and the rag tops look fairly flat and i'm not sure if it would work with the curved roof line. I think it would be pretty sweet to have a sliding ragtop that ran almost the length of the car.
habmann,Mar 19 2005, 06:00 PM Wrote:The prob i'm having with it is that i've got a ZX3 and the rag tops look fairly flat and i'm not sure if it would work with the curved roof line. [right][snapback]94812[/snapback][/right]

The wasn't ever a curvier roofed car than the 2CV and it had that.
it would look cool.. go for it.. personally i wouldn't trust anyone hacking up the roof of my vehicle so i'd never do it

oh and forget glass.. be MadD TitE and get a CF roof
A CF roof eh? could be interesting, lil too much bling for me, but i'm definately considering do the the sliding rag top if i can get the money for it. I figure its the closest i can get to having a convertable with my focus.
i don't like rag tops because of the increased risk of vandalism and decreased safety

with a convertible you can put the hard top on for the winter.. what would you do with a rag top? put a metal panel back in place?
I'd like to get a ZX3 and targa top it.
This has gone Wayyyyy off topic. Don't make me get a moderator!!!!
j3rt,Mar 20 2005, 11:49 PM Wrote:This has gone Wayyyyy off topic.  Don't make me get a moderator!!!!
[right][snapback]95081[/snapback][/right]

Ok so to get back on topic, I think a sliding rag top would look better than 2 sunroof's personally.

:P