FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Brake Fluid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can I get brake fluid from Crappy Tire for my ZX3 or do I need something special?

What do you guys recommend?
Where can I get it?
How much does it cost?
How much do I need?
Whatever spec the manual says..................don't make me go out to the car to get mine. Canadian Tire is as good a place as any to get it.

I don't think anyone here needs hardcore stuff, "Redline", I believe is a popular 'racing' brand but likely that is at the expense of fluid longevity.
any dot 3 or 4 fluid will work.

I run ATE Super Racing Blue or Gold fluids in my cars.
it's a DOT4 with the highest dry and wet boiling points. it's even higher than many dot5.1 anddot6 fluids. it is the factory fluid that comes in the Porsche 911 Turbo's and RUF TurboR's.
the difference between the 2 fluids is the color which assist in flushing/bleeding of the brake system. Switch from OEM to blue to the gold and back to blue and so on, so you always know when the new fluidis coming out the bleeder.

it's not that expensive, about $30-40cnd for a 1L.
i just put together a brake package that includes it, check my products section for more info.
ZX3TUNING,Mar 19 2005, 01:55 AM Wrote:it's not that expensive, about $30-40cnd for a 1L.
[right][snapback]94641[/snapback][/right]

:blink:

2001 ZTS,Mar 19 2005, 02:14 AM Wrote:
ZX3TUNING,Mar 19 2005, 01:55 AM Wrote:it's not that expensive, about $30-40cnd for a 1L.
[right][snapback]94641[/snapback][/right]

:blink:
[right][snapback]94652[/snapback][/right]

You know I've bought perfume for various women in my life for less than thattre and as an added bonus got laid too.
bah, i'm sure people have paid less than $30 for a woman and gotten more in return! ;)

$30/L for perfume and gotten laid because of it??
the cologne i wear is $100 for a 75ml bottle... i cannot imagine what the $30/L bottle of perfume smells like.

and $30-40cnd/L for brake fluid with a 536°F dry boiling point is actually really good. Motul, ELF, and other "racing" brake fluids will run you about $30-50 for 500ml if not more for the really good stuff and they have between a 500-550°F dry boiling point.
granted it's not your $5.95 300ml bottle of dot3 but then again our cars take dot4.
I get it.

This is why you were mad at me in the other thread.

LADIES & GENTLEMEN: WHATEVER FORD, CRAPPY TIRE, MIDAS, K-MART, WALLMART ETC SELLS IS 100% "MEGA SIC" FOR YOUR FOCUS.

If anyone here can tell me what the boiling point of stock brake fluid is and tell me why 99% of people here should care please reply.
He got upset with you too?

Must be the fact overpriced cologne doesn't get you laid.
Mitch,

My car is too damn slow to reach those braking temperatures. I could almost use water but then the only problem I'd have is not the temperatures but rather the lines corroding!
2001 ZTS,Mar 18 2005, 08:42 PM Wrote:I get it.

This is why you were mad at me in the other thread.

LADIES & GENTLEMEN: WHATEVER FORD, CRAPPY TIRE, MIDAS, K-MART, WALLMART ETC SELLS IS 100% "MEGA SIC" FOR YOUR FOCUS.

If anyone here can tell me what the boiling point of stock brake fluid is and tell me why 99% of people here should care please reply.
[right][snapback]94698[/snapback][/right]

i never got mad with you, i just find your opinions to be very skewed, not fact based and i find you come off as a bit of a jack-ass once in a while. but that might be because i don't know your form of humor yet.... i dunno.

like i said in my first post, any Dot3 or dot4 will work.

i just gave another option to mike or anyone who read this thread as a cheap high-test brake fluid suitable for track days, AutoX or to make DIY system flushing easier.

and the boiling point of the stock fluid is about 395°F dry and about 262°F wet.
i taxed my stock brakes to the point of boiling the fluid a few times and at that point i completely lost the brakes. higher boiling points simply mean a larger margin for error. brake fade on the focus can be found as quickly as 3 hard stops from highways speeds in decently quick succession of each other or a couple of laps on a track day, or a few mins of hard driving on a fast and twisty road or a long AutoX course with decently long high speed sections before low speed turns. granted most "people" (meaning joe and jill commuter) will not ever have to do that which is, once again, why i stated that any dot3 or dot4 will work in my first post. but then again many of the people on this site, like any other car enthusiast site, are concerned with a little something called "performance" which is why i suggested the ATE stuff. it has the boiling point of extremely expensive race fluids without the price tag.

sorry for trying to help and giving people options they would otherwise not hear.

Mike, then go with normal Dot4 as that is what ford recommends. Dot3 will also work if you are completely flushing your system and cannot find dot4 where you are or are in a pinch.
my car is not that fast either yet i still have the TCE big brakes and run that fluid! ;)
I did it with Dot 4 fluid from Crappy tire!
I'm thinking of replacing my brake fluid, any tricks or probs i should know about before i attempt this? Thanx
ZX3TUNING,Mar 19 2005, 04:20 AM Wrote:bah, i'm sure people have paid less than $30 for a woman and gotten more in return! ;)

$30/L for perfume and gotten laid because of it??
the cologne i wear is $100 for a 75ml bottle... i cannot imagine what the $30/L bottle of perfume smells like.

and $30-40cnd/L for brake fluid with a 536°F dry boiling point is actually really good. Motul, ELF, and other "racing" brake fluids will run you about $30-50 for 500ml if not more for the really good stuff and they have between a 500-550°F dry boiling point.
granted it's not your $5.95 300ml bottle of dot3 but then again our cars take dot4.
[right][snapback]94692[/snapback][/right]

whoa.. you are way overpaying dude

the stuff i have in my closet.. ford heavy duty DOT 3 brake fluid.. has a dry boiling point of 550F.. and if i remember correct it was around 5usd per 12 oz (355mL) bottle.. its pretty much on par with most of the 'racing' brake fluids out there..

i guess the down side is the lack of a MaDD TitE brand on the bottle
the ford Dot4 HD stuff is way over rated.
also, i was unaware of any dot3 that were "HD" let alone rated at 550°F. the dot system of brake fluid relates to it's wet and dry boiling points, what it's made from and if it is able to be used with ABS or not. most dot3s are not recommended or should not be used at all in ABS equiped cars, that is why dot4 was made which typically has a fairly higher wet and dry boiling point aswell. dot5 is silicone based, extreme duty fluid and not really suited for anything but race brake systems as the silicone fluid is not good for the rubber seals in a standard barke system. dot5.1 and the new dot6 stuff are extreme high temp fluids designed with racing in mind but to be usable on street cars aswell, Dot6 is ABS safe in certain cars, not all i believe. the dot5.1 and dot 6 also come with very high price tags.

i have boiled the Ford Dot4 HD fluid as have most of the people i raced with, running the same setups that are doing fine witht he ATE stuff. infact the time i lost my brakes from boiling the fluid was with the ford HD fluid which was only 4 weeks old after i did the TCE big brake upgrade.

the Ford dot4 HD fluid out here is like $12-15cnd for a 12oz bottle... for a full brake flush which requires about 600-850mls, it's up in the same price range. out here the ATE fluid can be found in certain places like $24-30cnd...
ZX3TUNING,Mar 19 2005, 04:20 AM Wrote:... i cannot imagine what the $30/L bottle of perfume smells like.

It smells like a French whorehouse at low tide.
2001 ZTS,Mar 19 2005, 05:37 PM Wrote:
ZX3TUNING,Mar 19 2005, 04:20 AM Wrote:... i cannot imagine what the $30/L bottle of perfume smells like.

It smells like a French whorehouse at low tide.
[right][snapback]94898[/snapback][/right]

if that is the case i would hate to see the girl that put out for the wonderful smell you gave her? :blink:
ZX3TUNING,Mar 20 2005, 12:58 AM Wrote:the ford Dot4 HD stuff is way over rated.
also, i was unaware of any dot3 that were "HD" let alone rated at 550°F.
[right][snapback]94882[/snapback][/right]

well the can i have in my hand says DOT3 and on the back it says the minimum dry boiling point is 550F. it is a motorcraft product and i bought it at the parts counter of my local ford dealer. i'm looking through my notes and i think the part number is C6AZ-19542-AA. i don't have the invoice so i can't double check. on the bottle it says PM-1. this stuff definitely exists and i'm definitely not the only one who knows about it or uses it

i guess the autoX courses where you live are a lot faster than the ones i go to because i've never come close to boiling stock dot4 or the HD dot3 brake fluid or making the pads fade.. and i guess your definition of highway speeds is a lot faster than 70mph because i've broken in my hawk brake pads by doing several hard stops from that speed in quick succession and again, never experienced anything close to fade

i second that.. i have used some 550 dot3 before myself.. pretty sure it was the Ford Fluid at canadian tire.. then switched to dot4.. but now ill probably get some motul or something with higher temps..

on the track, the fluid can easily boil and screw up your braking, and braking more just doesn't help to cool it down..
odd, could have sworn the Ford HD stuff was Dot4 for ABS systems....?
BerinG,Mar 21 2005, 12:54 PM Wrote:on the track, the fluid can easily boil and screw up your braking, and braking more just doesn't help to cool it down..
[right][snapback]95254[/snapback][/right]

did you flush it out right before hand?
Pages: 1 2