FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ignition Cylinder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone else been completely screwed by fords crap ignition cyl?. I had mine replaced a couple of yrs ago and it's starting to jam up again. I know this is a common problem, but I'm just curious to hear some stories from the more fortunate ford customers (like myself). Mine went in Aug of 2003 for the first time. lucky for me it happened on my driveway, but I still ended up with a bill for $428.22 That's including a tow ;) not bad eh? . Now that it's been more than a year the warranty is done and they want more $$$ to go at it again!. Why can't ford just suck it up and put out a recall?. It's not like it's gonna damage their reputation, they have already screwed that!. I'd love to get my hands on those recorded calls i've sent to ford, they would make for some funny audio clips :icon_mrgreen:.
2000 model focus I'm guessing?
*QUEEN singing* another one bites the dust :lol:

no serious hahahahaha
Gotta love it! :lol: :lol:
That is one problem I have yet to have (knock wood) but you definately hear about it all the time. I do get the "key won't turn/jiggle steering wheel" thing often.
I went through this once.

and it happened to me a second time, BUT I realized what I had done. I drive an automatic and I changed my shifter again, and I tried lowering it so I didn't have to depress the button as much to get it to shift. In doing so I realized that this locked my key in the ignition cylinder and wouldn't release my key. I removed the knob and I heard my ignition cylinder click and voila my key came right out. If you have played with your shifter prehaps you can try undoing what you did to it. But otherwise yeah you are sol. I got my first one done under warranty. Glad I bought the 5 year package, its more than paid for itself.
No this is a common problem on these Focus...unfortunately I never had mine go on my car...when I got rid of it the mileage was 78 000 km...
I've had my key stuck a couple of times but with some jiggling with the key it finally came out...

Vito :D
S2,Mar 16 2005, 12:36 AM Wrote:2000 model focus I'm guessing?
[right][snapback]93843[/snapback][/right]
It is infact a 2000 model, but it has happened to my buddy's 04 as well. I've been through alot of bs with this car but it's just to easy to through it out cause of this. Anyone had this problem with the svt model?.
My 2003 I've had the key stick but only related to the steering lock.
(a few hard turns to release the key)
yeah i had this 3 weeks ago.. removed the ignition.. bought a new one (140 something) .. 20$ to get the cylinder redone for my keys.. reinstalled.. done.

you should do it before its too late and you can't turn the key anymore.. caus you need to turn the key to remove it.. if not, then you need to drill through etc..etc..

oh and ask them for the NEW style.. make sure it looks different too..

just in case they are giving you the same one
Mine is a 2000 model and I've never had any issues with jiggling steering wheel/stuck keys. I do have only one key on my Focus keychain. How much weight are you putting on your key chain?
Another 2k focus here, np.

j.a.dj

ya i went through 3 on my 2000 in 1 year now i have 2002 and no probs yet...
j.a.dj,Mar 16 2005, 03:51 PM Wrote:ya i went through 3 on my 2000 in 1 year now i have 2002 and no probs yet...
[right][snapback]94075[/snapback][/right]

Classic example..... your car should have been the 'poster child' on the cover of the 2000 model recalls book. :ph34r:

j/k it wasn't bad at all but I remember you telling me about your ignition cylinder issues.
I had this happen last summer and it was bitch. It cost me something like $400 because they had to drill it, but from what I have read and hear that if you can still turn the key you can take the whole ignition out and what supposedly happens is one tumbler is bent or broken or something and if you take it out (the tumbler) you won't have any problems, a lock smith can do it or you can go at it yourself. Or else when it actually jams your up shits creek with a bill!
i just had to calll ford road side to tow me a few weeks ago mine is a 03