FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: More Pics From Mosport
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So as I mentioned in the other thread, technically we weren't allowed to take pics or video at the BMW Advanced Driver Training event I attended at Mosport this weekend ... but I managed a couple with my cell phone.

The event was this:

Friday evening: dinner and a slow track ride.

Saturday: 4 classroom sessions, 4 track sessions, 2 skid pad sessions, and 2 sessions with instructor in their car - each 1/2 hour long.

Sunday: same as Saturday but faster LOL.

My car in lower paddock. LOL - the only other Ford was a 5.0 Mustang (80's vintage) owned by a local Bowmanville guy. He was all motor, no chassis and no brakes - deadly slow - I passed a lot of cars but him I was able to lap.

[Image: p_00059.jpg]

Most of the cars there were BMW 3-Series, M3s, 5-series, one older 6-series and one new 6-Series ... there was also this bad boy in my run group (one of 2).

[Image: p_00061.jpg]

In addition to the above mentioned metail there was some really interesting cars there ... a couple of plain Vettes, two Z06, two WRX, a couple of Cooper S, a number of Porsche 911 types, and a couple of Carrera S and Carrera 4 ... and this collection ...

[Image: p_00057.jpg]

Yup ... that's a GT40 and it wasn't stock - according to the owner it was up to more than 700 hp,

And if you go really fast and do it without causing the instructor to shiite his pants ... this is what they give for the final three runs on Sunday ... and yes, this is mine !!

[Image: 100_3977.jpg]
Some great pics man.
I really like the fact that there is everything from a GTR to a old fox body.

Did you pass the GTR at all?
Nice work :)

Shame I'd likely never earn that (Little thing about not being able to signal folks to pass me while holding on to the steering wheel :()

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Apr 26 2009, 07:15 PM Wrote:Nice work :)

Shame I'd likely never earn that (Little thing about not being able to signal folks to pass me while holding on to the steering wheel :()

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]285899[/snapback][/right]

I believe at Mosport you can use a blinker as to indicate for another person to pass you. Don't have to use your other hand as i remember.

That GTR looks pretty bad ass.....should have told him to do some lunch control accelerations :lol:
Canadian ST,Apr 26 2009, 07:15 PM Wrote:Some great pics man.
I really like the fact that there is everything from a GTR to a old fox body.

Did you pass the GTR at all?
[right][snapback]285898[/snapback][/right]
Honestly yes - once. The car was brand new and he'd had it for a week, and he'd never been on a track before - so he was treating it with kid gloves. I passed him in the very first session.

From the second session on he was by far the fastest in our group - and again Sunday in the rain in the morning he was amazingly fast (I had an advantage over the RWD cars and was actually pretty fast - but it seemd like I was standing still when he passed me on the back straight - I was actually doing 150 at the time) - the other GT-R was in another run group and by all accounts one of the faster cars - not surprisingly.
NikiterZTS,Apr 26 2009, 07:23 PM Wrote:I believe at Mosport you can use a blinker as to indicate for another person to pass you. Don't have to use your other hand as i remember.[right][snapback]285901[/snapback][/right]

Correct - but it takes some getting used to ... if you move to the left to allow someone to pass you on the right ... you have to use your right signal ... ie: "pass me on this side" ... typically when you move left you use your left signal.

Also forgot to post this pic ... the owner been to 3 events that I've been too and we went to lunch together - he let me drive it ... it's an M Coupe and it's amazing.

[Image: p_00060.jpg]
ZTWsquared,Apr 27 2009, 12:35 AM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Apr 26 2009, 07:23 PM Wrote:I believe at Mosport you can use a blinker as to indicate for another person to pass you. Don't have to use your other hand as i remember.[right][snapback]285901[/snapback][/right]

Correct - but it takes some getting used to ... if you move to the left to allow someone to pass you on the right ... you have to use your right signal ... ie: "pass me on this side" ... typically when you move left you use your left signal.

Also forgot to post this pic ... the owner been to 3 events that I've been too and we went to lunch together - he let me drive it ... it's an M3 Coupe and it's amazing.

[right][snapback]285904[/snapback][/right]
???? where is the M3? you mean Z4 M coupe? or just M coupe?
I like the M coupe, is it a V8 or the inline 6?
NikiterZTS,Apr 26 2009, 08:23 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Apr 26 2009, 07:15 PM Wrote:Nice work :)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]285899[/snapback][/right]

I believe at Mosport you can use a blinker as to indicate for another person to pass you. Don't have to use your other hand as i remember.

That GTR looks pretty bad ass.....should have told him to do some lunch control accelerations :lol:
[right][snapback]285901[/snapback][/right]

Here is a great pic of LUNCH control.

[Image: puke.jpg]
lol
I definitly meant launch control...but thats pretty anyway
Canadian ST,Apr 26 2009, 08:09 PM Wrote:I like the M coupe, is it a V8 or the inline 6?
[right][snapback]285906[/snapback][/right]

He seemed to control his lunch pretty good ... he also had no trouble launching his car after lunch.

Yeah, the blue one ... the BMW guys simply call it the "M Coupe" ... and yes it is based on the Z4 but it also shares a lot of components, including engine and drivetrain, with the regular M3 based on the 3-series ... so it's not a Z4 per se, it's not available as a convertible, and it's not an M3 ... hence "M Coupe"
ZTWsquared,Apr 26 2009, 07:35 PM Wrote:

Also forgot to post this pic ... the owner been to 3 events that I've been too and we went to lunch together - he let me drive it ... it's an M3 Coupe and it's amazing.

Oh I like that Bimmer, really old school look to it (Reminds me vaguely of a Datsun 240Z in how it looks)

So there is a one handed way? Interestink indeed....

NefCanuck
ZTWsquared,Apr 26 2009, 07:35 PM Wrote:

Also forgot to post this pic ... the owner been to 3 events that I've been too and we went to lunch together - he let me drive it ... it's an M Coupe and it's amazing.

Any pics of the Porsches? :(

Nice pics Ken! Congrats on getting handed your ticket to go fast by yourself! :D
why arent you alllowed to take pics?
Flofocus,Apr 29 2009, 01:51 PM Wrote:why arent you alllowed to take pics?
[right][snapback]286130[/snapback][/right]

Apparently the rationale is that they don't want any pics or videos published that might make this look like a competition - ie: a race or lapping.

These BMW Club events are a registered "school" and they issue tax receipts and everything (I'll be getting a tax break of about $200) ... and they take measures to ensure that nothing threatens their status ... and so they want control over what pics are taken and/or published.

But even though I didn't take pics I should be able to show you some once the "official" photos are published on the club's website - apparently there was two official photographers present; the club president and a journalist doing a story on the event.

BTW - same thing with any kind of timing or g-force type device - strictly verbotten.