FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Mushy Brakes..?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

01-yellow-ZX3

My brakes have gotten really mushy lately.

What could the problem be? Needs a brake fluid flush/change? Master cylinder?

My pads are new, and the OEM rotors are still well within good specs.

Can somebody give me a heads up here...

My car is a '01 with 80k on it, is it a bit early to change the fluid?

P.S. Would it be worthwhile to cheap out and get a ghetto place like Midas/Jiffy Lube to do the brake fluid? The Stealership wants $90 including the DOT 3 fluid. What do ya think? Get it done the right way? I just don't want to waste $90 if its not the fluid thats the problem.
I used to change brake fluid on the motorcycle every year. I've done the Focus at least once. It breaks down over time. Level OK?

01-yellow-ZX3

Level is okay yup.

I think I'll get the Dealer to do it.
Probably an air bubble.
have you had it since new?

changing the brake fluid should cure that problem.

01-yellow-ZX3

Yup, I've had it new since 2001, so I'm sure the fluid is due by now. I can't really see it being a brake line problem this early, they all check out visually.

Thanks guys, just needed some advice.
Do it all in one big upgrade, do a set of stainless steel brake lines then go to the dealership and re-do your brake fluid.
ZOOM,Mar 14 2005, 01:21 AM Wrote:Do it all in one big upgrade, do a set of stainless steel brake lines then go to the dealership and re-do your brake fluid.
[right][snapback]93375[/snapback][/right]

Yes, stainless steel braided lines are sexy AND useful. A very good, cost-effective upgrade.
NOS2Go4Me,Mar 15 2005, 04:04 PM Wrote:Yes, stainless steel braided lines are sexy [right][snapback]93740[/snapback][/right]

They are hardly sexy, especially when the good ones have black rubber over the braid. ;)

I've never had ANYONE ever go: "Oh nice brake lines........sexy"

01-yellow-ZX3

I drove a Focus with braided lines, the difference was minimal, so I opted out.
2001 ZTS,Mar 15 2005, 11:44 AM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Mar 15 2005, 04:04 PM Wrote:Yes, stainless steel braided lines are sexy [right][snapback]93740[/snapback][/right]

They are hardly sexy, especially when the good ones have black rubber over the braid. ;)

I've never had ANYONE ever go: "Oh nice brake lines........sexy"
[right][snapback]93748[/snapback][/right]

But but... they look sexy on the website!

So... brake upgrades are like mail-order Russian brides? :ph34r: