FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Intro & Question/problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All !
Mike from NB Canada here. My wife and I have had a 2001 Ford Focus SE Wagon about 3-4 weeks now, with problem after problem (insert big sigh here).
We bought it hoping we could get away from project cars, but whatever.

Today's problem is there is no backlighting on the instrument/guages. I checked a few fuses but it's not clearly marked in the manual just which fuse it should be for dash lights. (the white backlights on everything).

Anyone know?

Would this be a "known problem" for a 01 Focus?

Thanks very much.........long day here.

Mike :(
:hi: I don't have an answer for your question but I'm sure someone will chime in soon....
There is a horizontally mounted thumbwheel* that the previous owner or cleaner has swipped too far one way. It is near the headlight switch to the left of the steering wheel. ;)

:hi:

*it is a brightness control for all dash lights
2001 ZTS,Mar 12 2005, 01:38 AM Wrote:There is a horizontally mounted thumbwheel* that the previous owner or cleaner has swipped too far one way. It is near the headlight switch to the left of the steering wheel. ;)

:hi:

*it is a brightness control for all dash lights
[right][snapback]92969[/snapback][/right]

hi guys and thanks for chiming in & the welcome :unsure: .......already checked the dimmer control.
Even the backlight on the hazard switch is out completely, so I think we have ZERO
voltage available for any of the backlights.

Anyone know which fuse controls backlighting for sure? I'd hate to have to pull ALL of them....??
:rolleyes:
fuse 32(10A) i do believe.

although, if the center console lights and are functioning you may have other problems. The instrument cluster connector could be loose or partially disconnected.
In my 2002 manual it lists which fuse is for the dash lights.. it's in the car though. It might be listed in NOS2go4me's pdf manuals, I'll have to check.
guilty,Mar 12 2005, 10:24 AM Wrote:In my 2002 manual it lists which fuse is for the dash lights.. it's in the car though.  It might be listed in NOS2go4me's pdf manuals, I'll have to check.
[right][snapback]92992[/snapback][/right]
Thanks, that would be great if you have a chance to check it.
I was gg to DL the PDF's but they're huge. I am on an extremely slow dialup and it diconnects me often, so doubt I could even DL it .

Thanks for the help :-)

Mike
Fuse 32? I'll check it.....though I think I may have checked that one last night.
Snowing to beat the band here right now.

When you say "center console lights" do you mean the dome lights above the rear view mirror? They work.

ve9aa,Mar 12 2005, 10:40 AM Wrote:Fuse 32?  I'll check it.....though I think I may have checked that one last night.
Snowing to beat the band here right now.

When you say "center console lights" do you mean the dome lights above the rear view mirror?  They work.
[right][snapback]92995[/snapback][/right]

Fuse 32 is OK....just checked it......I'd check them all, but it's cold & snowing & blowing like the dickens here. Don't mind running outside quickly but it's not really a good troubleshooting day, if you know what Imean
[Success !
In my haste earlier today, blowing winds & driving snow...I must've checkd the wrong fuse. I pushed my Mini aside on the garage and got out the multimeter again, and sure enough, fuse 32 was blown ! DOH :blink:

Thanks for everyones help........ :rolleyes:
What do I win !
Update.....Kept blowing Fuse 32

Found problem to be license plate illumination light holders & wires.
Severley corroded and the wires themselves were shorting onto the body.

A little black tape solved the problem temporarily.

Better fix coming once the weather warms up a bit.
ve9aa,Mar 26 2005, 02:32 PM Wrote:Update.....Kept blowing Fuse 32

Found problem to be license plate illumination light holders & wires.
Severley corroded and the wires themselves were shorting onto the body.

A little black tape solved the problem temporarily.

Better fix coming once the weather warms up a bit.
[right][snapback]96621[/snapback][/right]

The license lights were a problem on mine too they just crumbled away from corrosion and had to be replaced though I never had the fuse/dash problem.

By the way, there is a guy here called K-OS who had MANY Minis, at least 6 I think?
Yes, that washerfluid running into the licence plate lights is very common. I had mine replaced twice. On the second trip they made sure to seal up everything and the black trim. Im certainly i'll never be able to get it off.
Oh and the housing have water and green dust......!!