FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Wtb: Catch Can For Air Breather
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking for a simple catchcan to put on my air breather. Easy enough to make one, but if someone has one their not using then just let me know how much you want for it.

What do you mean by catch can. Do you have a pic of it?
Just to connect to my valve cover breather, durring some hard pulls the valve cover tends to seap oil out on FI engies. The catch can will keep the oil from making a mess and clogging the filter.

Like something like these:
[Image: product_cusco_oilcatch.jpg]
[Image: product_srr_oilcatchcan.jpg]
[Image: product_greddy_oilcatch.jpg][Image: alta_catchcan.jpg]

My local car store has that greddy one. So let me get this straight, the can has two thingies coming off it, one is an incoming, from the valve cover, where does the other end go to? From the catchcan to where?
ZOOM,Mar 12 2005, 03:51 AM Wrote:My local car store has that greddy one. So let me get this straight, the can has two thingies coming off it, one is an incoming, from the valve cover, where does the other end go to? From the catchcan to where?
[right][snapback]92983[/snapback][/right]

it goes from the catch can back onto the intake which cuases a vacuum and sucks the dirty oily air from the valve cover into the catch can instead of back into the clean air in the intake.

You know when you change your stock air filter you'd have that black spot on it, well it would all collect in the can. Then there's a clear tube on the side of most cans so you can see how full it is. once it starts getting full you remove tha can and there is a drain screw on the bottom to emty it.

It's the same idea as putting those little air breathers on, one on the valve cover an one on the intake tube. BUT it's illeagal to do it that way and i've heard if caught is a $300 fine.

I've been think about getting one myself since last year, so i'd be in for a group buy if they're not too expensive. I've seen them going for like $50-$100 on eBay

I've had a breather on my intake for 2 years now. I've also heard they were illegal but I've never actually talked to anyone who was busted for it. I can't understand why they are illegal though. Can someone explain why?
MAlby7,Mar 12 2005, 11:28 AM Wrote:I've had a breather on my intake for 2 years now.  I've also heard they were illegal but I've never actually talked to anyone who was busted for it.  I can't understand why they are illegal though.  Can someone explain why?
[right][snapback]93009[/snapback][/right]

has something to do with emissions

I had 'em on mine for 2 years too, but lots of people kept telling me they were illegal too :rolleyes:
Not sure how a cop is supposed to tell if something is illegal. Even still, I have bigger emissions issues by moving the cat location, modifying the pcv setup and removing the egr.

The last thing their going to bust me on is a breather filter :P
if the cop opens ur hood, the first thing they look for usually is this breather filter. because that's easiest to look for haha :D

anyways, for it being illegal, because u are actually spreading exhaust gas (coz that "air" is produced from the engine) under the hood.

if you just don't want the engine putting air back into the intake tube, u can just seal both sides (both intake tube and the breather hole from the valve cover)

that's what i heard tho and it sounds reasonable.

correct me if i'm wrong :)

as from my knowledge, moving the cat is not illegal in Ontario, as long as u pass emissions.
I've got an easy idea, now I just need to find somewhere I can get two round pieces of aluminum. 3" diameter and 1/2" Thick.

Anybody here know where I could get something like that for relativly low cost?
hardk0re,Mar 14 2005, 10:09 AM Wrote:I've got an easy idea, now I just need to find somewhere I can get two round pieces of aluminum.  3" diameter and 1/2" Thick. 

Anybody here know where I could get something like that for relativly low cost?
[right][snapback]93421[/snapback][/right]

metal supermarket

canada411