FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Broke A Front Wheel Stud!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
damn.. I broke one of the front wheel stud when I was replacing the regular acorn nut with a lock nut. this sucks.. looks like i have to get my hands dirty to fix this.

has this happened to anyone here?

I'm just gonna follow this.
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=44
Stripped or broke as in snapped the stud itself? I would have thought that practically impossible. What were you torquing them to?
2001 ZTS,Mar 6 2005, 07:50 PM Wrote:Stripped or broke as in snapped the stud itself? I would have thought that practically impossible. What were you torquing them to?
[right][snapback]91716[/snapback][/right]

it actually broke off. this happened when I was removing the nut.
looks like its flush with the disc brake hub. so all i have to do is remove the disc brake and hammer it out. I might put an open ended nut and hammer on it.
I'd be having a chat with whoever rotated your wheels last. They obviously leaned on it with the airtools a bit too long.
2001 ZTS,Mar 6 2005, 08:03 PM Wrote:I'd be having a chat with whoever rotated your wheels last. They obviously leaned on it with the airtools a bit too long.
[right][snapback]91726[/snapback][/right]

that's probably what happened.. hopefully the other ones are ok. I usually install my own wheels for spring and summer change but I bought new tires for winter. Oh well..
Any one know the specs for the focus wheels studs.

I found these stronger studs.

ARP Wheel Studs

Moroso Wheel Studs

but don't know which one is for the focus.
After some research, this is what I found out.

The knurl size for the wheel stud for the front hub of focus is .625"; tread size is 12mm x 1.5

looks like the closest aftermarket stud that can be used is the ARP .625" knurl; 1/2''-20 tread size. part# 070-100-7703 $9.99US per set of 5 from Jeg's. hole for the disc brake hub probably needs to be enlarged a little bit and new set of bolts with 1/2"-20 tread measurement is required.

As for my solution, I'll probably just go to the dealer and grab 2-3 wheel studs and replace the broken one and keep the other 2 in case I break some more.
when i was working on a honda, i snapped 4 of the 16 wheel studs on the car...honda = poor quality bolts...very easy to fix that problem though
Problem fixed.

I went to Ford and bought 3 wheel studs thinking that I will probably need it in the future. they only cost $5.70 each so it's no biggy. I went to my shop, remove my wheel and replace the broken stud and also replaced another one that has 1/4" of the tip broken off. Good thing I got extras. Labour only cost me $20 cash, which is very cheap.