FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Damaged My Foci
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well on march 1st was the winter storm as we in ontario know. So anyways, I was driving to work round 1:30 am and I drove thru a giant plowed snow drift on steels ave. they plowed out a side street into steels ave blocking all 4 lanes of the road I could not get around it and I went right thru it. <_<

I didn't think anything of it till I got to work, and low and behold I lost 3/4 of my bumper. I lost everything below the rebar to the tune of $1800 - $ 5000 in damage according to ford, when I took it in to get it inspected mechanically several hours later. The Car is Still driveable !!! :D

I checked with the police to see if I had to do an accident report and they said no, it's a city matter and I should take it up with them. So I went to city hall here in Brampton to bit@h at them about that morning and they directed me to the region of peel since it's under their plowing area. I left them my info with my story, and all that and I still have to wait to hear back from them....... I'm not happy. :angry:

So it's thursday now and I have to go to the body shop again to set up an appointment with them to fix the car. Oh joy ! :( I'm really not happy because I have to have the insurance company to pay for it. hurray for higher Insurance rates ! :angry:

I would post pic's but my camera is in Portugal at the moment. <_<
Shitty dood.

What I would recommend especially if the car is still driveable is go to the region of peel people and ask them to cut you a cheque for the damages. If they give you any hassle, just suggest them to talk to your lawyer in small claims court.

That way you can avoid going threw insurance and get your car fixed.

I had a smilar experience I had to take up with the City of Ottawe becasue I bent a rim on one of their poorly managed roads. They picked up the bill for it. B)
I did take it up with the region because Steels ave falls into their area. I have to wait for this chick that deals with this type of matter to come back from vacation next week.

The guy I talked to said it might be the city's fault because they plowed out the side street onto steels blocking all 4 lanes. So really they have to fight each other to see what either one is going to do....... :(

Either or my insurance is going to nail them both if they don't do anything because it is both of their faults for not keeping the road way clear of plow drifts on the major roads.
Frost__2001,Mar 3 2005, 03:52 PM Wrote:I did take it up with the region because Steels ave falls into their area. I have to wait for this chick that deals with this type of matter to come back from vacation next week.

The guy I talked to said it might be the city's fault because they plowed out the side street onto steels blocking all 4 lanes. So really they have to fight each other to see what either one is going to do.......  :(

Either or my insurance is going to nail them both if they don't do anything because it is both of their faults for not keeping the road way clear of plow drifts on the major roads.
[right][snapback]91014[/snapback][/right]

Asshole time.

It was your fault to drive right into a snow bank.

Thats why I love the Justy, I dont care whats under that snow, if it rips off my exhaust, meh. You should know better especially with a bodykit on, I do ;)

Sorry, just prepping you for what they're gonna turn around and say (and for next time you see 4 lanes blocked). Just stay on top of them and make sure they pay up.
I hate to say it...but I don't think they will see it your way!!

You shouldn't have driven through that s**t....not really the fault of the city!!

I hope all works out though...
the city should NOT pay for your damages.. that's the kind of behaviour that is messing up our society.. everyone tries to shift the blame on others..

i drive a lowered integra..if i go up a steep driveway and it takes off the lip on my bumper or scrapes up the oil pan and damages the motor.. why the hell should anyone else pay? its my own choice to drive a car that doesn't have much ground clearance.. its my choice to try to make it up the driveway.. its all on ME.

you should get a subaru loyale that comes stock with a bash plate if you want to drive like that

don't use other taxpayer's money to get yourself out of something YOU did
naz,Mar 4 2005, 12:08 AM Wrote:you should get a subaru loyale that comes stock with a bash plate if you want to drive like that
[right][snapback]91103[/snapback][/right]

good times :lol:
I'm with Naz and Flo on this one... you can't tell me if you were in any major city that there wasn't another route you coulda taken instead of being lazy and trying to be a snow plow.. no need to put more drain on the cities because you chose to take a chance and got burned for it
PM sent, hope it helps you. :)
Raine,Mar 4 2005, 01:24 AM Wrote:I'm with Naz and Flo on this one... you can't tell me if you were in any major city that there wasn't another route you coulda taken instead of being lazy and trying to be a snow plow.. no need to put more drain on the cities because you chose to take a chance and got burned for it
[right][snapback]91135[/snapback][/right]

Or wait for another car to go first. Even at 0130 in the morning someone else was bound to come by, it was Steeles Avenue after all.
Okay, first off the body kit is not on the front end of the car since my sister hit smack it off last month, Re: hence the pictures in the spotted category.

Second, I know I could have gone around after I went thru it, but it would have meant back tracking, by either turning around in the middle of the intersection (which I wouldn't do), to head back to hwy # 10 just to use Derry rd. which would have added an extra 45 minutes on to the drive to work, or going down McMurchy ave using all the side streets that were plowed in already from them already plowing out McMurchy ave. and running the risk of getting stuck.

Third, I'm not looking for them to pay for the full damages because I know, I made the choice at the last minute to go thru it, I just wanted them to take responsiblity for possibly causing more then mine alone (the collision). I told the all the people I talked to I'm not looking for them to pay for the damage, I just want them to know what happened so that something like this could have been avoided. And Hey, If I they do admit fault it's not a bad thing either, I'd be happy if they only paid my deductible as a result ($500).

But getting back on topic:

The side street they plowed out was McMurchy ave at a " T " intersection (soon to be a crossway into another new housing development) at Steels Ave, in Brampton.

I will state that I did talk to the Police about this, and the officer I talked to told me to take it up with the city because they did plow out McMurchy ave onto Steels blocking the road way (all 4 lanes), and they are at fault for doing so. The officer quoted me this " Mainly they are at fault, because they obstructed the road way when they plowed out, and you should talk to someone in City hall about it".

The City said because it's under the Region's roadways it's something to talk to them about, and I did and they told me that they will look into the matter. But I'm going to go back and quote my third statement there.

I'm sure though if most of you could not make a full stop in the conditions that were ongoing that night, and you only had about 20 - 30 feet in front of you and your skidding like your on black ice. I'm sure a lot of you would have chosen to go thru it with what little control you had left. :hitit:
^^^ good story dude, either way, i agreee with you i'd try and rip off the city if i could, because if you really think about it, the city is ripping off it's citizens, i had a chance to actually work for the region of peel but i declined because i know how lazy gov't workers are and that's where our tax $$$ goes, so doing this is some sort of justice on our parts which i agree with 100%
that happened to me a few years ago with my stang, tor the underside of the bumper out on a plowed snow that had frozen, i was moving at about 75-80km/hr out in the dark country roads, i didn't know what i hit till i turned around to make sure it wasn't something important. i just left it, the car was a 4 banger and had a pack of miles on it
buy an old subaru.. you'll never have this problem again
no poop