FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Castrol Synthetic Oil
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Maybe it's just me and I'm a little slow but the last couple of weeks I have seen various advertisements for Castrol Syntec 5W20 oil! Today a Parts Source flyer is selling a 4l jug for $16.99, a great deal? Finally an OEM spec oil for our cars made by someone else besides Ford! :)
just want to let u know that Amsoil has 5w-20 synthetic long long long time ago :P i've been using it for long time already! :D
There is absolutely nothing wrong with using 5w-30 BTW.
What about 10W-30 Synthetic Mobile One? My auto teacher uses it on all his cars and hes got a Neon, Jeep TJ, Jeep Laredo, and an 67' Vette.......do you think that motor oil is any good for the Foci?
i always use 0w20 Mobil 1 .. $33 for 4.4L
what would be recommended for FI foci?
Flofocus,Mar 3 2005, 11:47 PM Wrote:what would be recommended for FI foci?
[right][snapback]91098[/snapback][/right]

that all depends.

I'm runnin 0W20 in my supercharged focus for the winter, but normally run 5w20.

But you'll probably want to go higher if you're turbocharged. I think I recall people mentioning turbo tom runs a 50W ( :blink: )
Quaker State makes 5w20 as well, i just use the good old motorcraft ford oil, and filter seeing that my car i brand new. i have no need for anything else. Using 5W30 synthetic or not is fine, it won't hurt the engine.
5w-30 is fine, it was recommanded on the 2000 model with the same engine.
ford changed to 5w-20 because it gives better mileage from fuel.

I've tried both 5w-30 and 5w-20 full synthetic, i like 5w-20 more, quieter and better mileage. (but it supposed to be less protection with the 5w-20 especially at high RPM because is thinner)
i'd say go with the 5w-20 in the winter because it will also help with the starting of the car, but switch to the 5w-30 in the summer for better protection. anyways, i'm only using Royal Purple cause i like it's performance over any other brand that i've tried.
ive been using royal purple since my first oilchange. Lucas makes a 5w20 synthetic race oil i may try for this summer :)
Though I don't drive a Focus, my car also takes 5W20 - I guess it uses a Ford block after all.

Mobil1 0W20 (what I'm running) is approved for 5W20 Ford/Honda applications. One thing that annoys me though is that I can't seem to find it in the big 4.4l jugs - I end up having to buy 5 small bottles each time.
AutoExe,Mar 4 2005, 10:56 PM Wrote:Thought I don't drive a Focus, my car also takes 5W20 - I guess it uses a Ford block after all.

Mobil1 0W20 (what I'm running) is approved for 5W20 Ford/Honda applications. One thing that annoys me though is that I can't seem to find it in the big 4.4l jugs - I end up having to buy 5 small bottles each time.
[right][snapback]91371[/snapback][/right]

Try Walmart. sometimes they sell 5 quart jug.
Crappy Tire sells all grades of Mobil1 in the 4.4l jug apart from 0W20! :angry:
Parts Source has them in the 4.4L jug
Flofocus,Mar 3 2005, 06:47 PM Wrote:what would be recommended for FI foci?
[right][snapback]91098[/snapback][/right]

OEM options for FI engines (like the Ford GT) run 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motorcraft Oil.

FYI - Motorcraft Oil = Conoco Phillips

I run 15W-50 in my DSM (because I have access to a 55 Gallon drum of the stuff), but you should be OK with any synthetic oil (20 Weight to 50 Weight) in a FI engine.

Hope that helps...

~ Clutch
AutoExe,Mar 4 2005, 09:56 PM Wrote:Though I don't drive a Focus, my car also takes 5W20 - I guess it uses a Ford block after all.

my amsoil 5w-20 my friend, is very good, better than mobil 1 in my opinion =)

btw i saw u parked beside me last week in UT :D
yeloZX3,Mar 6 2005, 03:05 PM Wrote:
AutoExe,Mar 4 2005, 09:56 PM Wrote:Though I don't drive a Focus, my car also takes 5W20 - I guess it uses a Ford block after all.

my amsoil 5w-20 my friend, is very good, better than mobil 1 in my opinion =)

btw i saw u parked beside me last week in UT :D
[right][snapback]91693[/snapback][/right]

Ya that was me, and my car was hella dirty too! :lol:

My 32k (damn I drive a lot) oil change is due in about 2 weeks and I'll be using Mobil1 again
I think I might try Royal Purple sometime...