FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Large Gauge Wire Stripper
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

01-yellow-ZX3

Where can I purchase a wire stripper/crimper that can do 4 gauge?

What do you guys use?

I can't find anything that will do larger than 8 gauge wire.
I just use the classic exacto knife (razor) and take my time.......
If you know someone who works for hydro they have some awesome crimpers for huge wires (larger than 0/1 gauge) they used one when ZI upgraged my hydro service to 200 amp (still less than the draw on my big amp but offcourse 12 volt). To crimp the ends onto 4 gauge and larger i use a vice, you need to take your time and squeeze pretty hard but it works great. For stripping a good old fashion really sharp knife. Again do it slow and you should be fine.

David

the best large gauge crimp tool i know of is used with a hammer. its a spring loaded tool that holds the wire when u wack it with the hammer. prefect crimp. havent seen one since mobile dynamics thou.
I saw princess auto has one that will crimp up to 4 awg. As for cutting I usually just use a sharp utility knife.
Crappy tire and Home Deephole both offer tool rentals(battlefield Etc...)
To physically crimp a 4 ga connector is almost impossible. I just put the ring terminal in a bench vise, stuck the wire trhough it and started tightening. Trust me that wire is not coming loose.

As far ast stripping just use the exacto knife like everyone has said.
S2,Mar 2 2005, 09:46 PM Wrote:I just use the classic exacto knife (razor) and take my time.......
[right][snapback]90793[/snapback][/right]
thats what i would use evan. to crimp my 2ga we beat it with a hammer so it fit in the ring terminal. haha then taped it up.