FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Guages Have A Mind Of Their Own
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok Im kinda new to the focus community heres my problem sometimes when I start my 2000 focus zx3 all of the guages will peg and then return to there normal positions ,the car starts fine Ive noticed it does it more often when the car is cold I was thinking it was the battery but the car seems to start fine . Anyone have similar problems?? Thanks in advance.
how long does it do it for?
Fuel sending unit. A common problem.
2001 ZTS,Feb 26 2005, 08:31 PM Wrote:Fuel sending unit. A common problem.
[right][snapback]89592[/snapback][/right]

yep...I'm having the same problem with my gas gauge in the 03'
Its not a problem, they all do it. It is a self test. It only lasts a few seconds
the promblem is that you own a '00 focus :lol:
They do "sweep" once at start and cold may slow it down but if things go "crazy" that is not right. The "sweep" is mentioned in the owners manual if you have one, if not a dealer could get one for you, probably twenty well spent dollars.

Welcome and don't mind us we are sort of nuts, especially "en weekend"
They're supposed to do a full sweep... let's you know they're working :P a lot of car manufacturers make a big deal out of the fact that their cars do that. My girlfriend only noticed mine do that this weekend and she freaked out... thought the car was gonna blow up or something... I told her only Jay's cars do that kinda thing... the gauges were okay...
Do they do that each time? I'd swear mine doesn't. The only time I've seen my gauge cluster do that is when I reset the ECU last week.
bad moon is raising
Someone post a link to that Odometer ECU monitor trick.
hold the reset then turn the car to accel but not on and do some other things and then your gauges go carazy
[Image: caution.jpg]
DD1,Feb 26 2005, 09:55 PM Wrote:hold the reset then turn the car to accel but not on and do some other things and then your gauges go carazy
[right][snapback]89674[/snapback][/right]

:twak:

Hold the trip odo button down with the key in the OFF positon. Start the car normally while still holding down the button. Release only AFTER the LCD display flashes at you.

Full list of functions:

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=37
Wow you guys respond quick It only does it when I start it for a few seconds Ive read up on the guage testing but I wasnt sure if this was the same thing it only does it sometimes . One more thing Ive already got the fule pump and sending unit replaced under warranty It never did this before??
Your ECU may have reset itself. Of course, the important question is why did it?

You can force a reset by taking your negative battery cable off for 10 minutes or more, reconnecting it, and starting the car completely at that time. Other causes can trigger a reset, but they're neither as benign or pleasant.
lintlars,Feb 27 2005, 04:20 AM Wrote:Wow you guys respond quick It only does it when I start it for a few seconds Ive read up on the guage testing but I wasnt sure if this was the same thing it only does it sometimes . One more thing Ive already got the fule pump and sending unit replaced under warranty It never did this before??
[right][snapback]89707[/snapback][/right]
:lol: as I said "common problems" How many DPFE/EGR fixes have you had?