FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Eliminating The Egr
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm planning on putting in a turbo by spring and was wondering if I should, eliminate the egr. Will my car be able to pass emissions with out this? Or should I be safe and hook it up anyways but disable it with a chip so I can re-enable it when It comes to do the emissions test.
Thanks
well, if you move the cat out of the stock location, you're probably not going to pass the emissions visual inspection anyways, but yes, the EGR is for both emissions (NOX) and fuel mileage.
i have no egr in the nissan....i was told by nissan that i would not need it if i was not driving my car in the winter...he said it wont make much difference....why the winter has the effect on it, thats what i dont know :blink:
Alright then, i'm just going to pull out the EGR then, i dont really care, as for the cat being in its stock location, that aint gonna happen, what i'm actually doing is welding a high flow cat underneath the car and re-wire the sensor to it. Hopefully all goes well :)
sr20det,Feb 25 2005, 04:41 PM Wrote:i have no egr in the nissan....i was told by nissan that i would not need it if i was not driving my car in the winter...he said it wont make much difference....why the winter has the effect on it, thats what i dont know :blink:
[right][snapback]89216[/snapback][/right]

Quote:

EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation

Why would anyone want to dump exhaust back into the intake of a perfectly good engine?

Unfortunately, the internal combustion engine is not `perfectly good.' The modern multi-valve, high compression engine can create NOx (Nitrous Oxide) during the high temperature combustion process. NOx reacts with sunlight to create atmospheric problems such as smog and so comes into the category of 'not a good idea'.

EGR is considered a `metered intake leak' and was developed to reduce the combustion temperatures to below 2,500 degrees, the threshold where NOx is created. Not unlike putting a brick in your lavatory to lower the volume of water used, the EGR valve meters a readily available inert gas (actually exhaust gas which contains a lot of very inert Carbon Dioxide) into the combustion chamber to effectively reduce the volume. Smaller effective displacement means less fire, and less heat and thus lower temperatures, thereby controlling NOx emissions.

tis quicker to copy and paste someone else's work.. I need a pint
darkpuppet,Feb 25 2005, 09:29 AM Wrote:well, if you move the cat out of the stock location, you're probably not going to pass the emissions visual inspection anyways, but yes, the EGR is for both emissions (NOX) and fuel mileage.
[right][snapback]89191[/snapback][/right]

i don't think there's visual inspection on emission in Ontario, at least from me and my friend's experience.
correct me if i'm wrong.
It can't be that big of a deal cause SCT chips can be programmed to bypass the EGR system.
yeloZX3,Feb 25 2005, 11:52 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Feb 25 2005, 09:29 AM Wrote:well, if you move the cat out of the stock location, you're probably not going to pass the emissions visual inspection anyways, but yes, the EGR is for both emissions (NOX) and fuel mileage.
[right][snapback]89191[/snapback][/right]

i don't think there's visual inspection on emission in Ontario, at least from me and my friend's experience.
correct me if i'm wrong.
[right][snapback]89280[/snapback][/right]

They are supposed to look for it.
I thought the EGR valve only opens after the car warms up and enters a closed loop.
ontario is not NJ but i just took my integra in for emissions a few days ago and they didn't even pop the hood.. they just put the probe into the exhaust, put the car on a dyno and checked the readouts.

that said.. if you have a 'hook up' you can pretty much get anything passed... so you shouldn't worry about emissions test too much.. i think its police and insurance co that should be your big worries.. not emissions