FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Costco & Tires
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I went into Costco's Tire store yesterday to get a quote on a set of four (205/55/R16's) tires for my Foci. I was told that the price for balance, recycle of the old tires, installment, etc, etc.... was all included in the price of the tires, Including filling the tires with nitrogen instead of air.

I'm kinda interested in their methods of filling their tires with nitrogen instead of air, I'm wondering if anyone else has had their tires installed this way from Costco before, and the benefits / or disadvantages of it, before I decide to go ahead and invest in new tires next month at Costco.
Wallmart this guy wanted to fill my tires with hellium!

http://www.milotclown.com/images/img49.gif
Bought tires for the wife's van @ costco and yes they filled them with the nitrogen from their tank. Nitrogen (supposedly) will help the tire last longer since there will be less moisture inside the tire when compared to using air from an air compressor. Also tire pressure fluctuation as a result of heat/cold will (supposedly) be reduced when using nitrogen. As far as adjusting the tire pressure afterwards, you are fine just using air (according to them). So far so good with the tires...haven't needed to adjust pressure since the install about 4 months ago.
Wouldn't a simple 40dollar vapour filter on theier air tanks remove the vapour from the air.

I use one on my tanks for my airbrush and they work great.
Nitrogen is better for all the reasons meantioned according to everything I have heard but air itself is 78% Nitrogen to begin with. Since it costs no more or no less I say sure why not.
Lets try hydrogen

[Image: S.jpg]

But now thinking about it.. we don't need Hydrogen to explode a Focus.
my buddy has had nitro in his tires since around september, and his pressure hasn't changed at all, we even checked it on a -30 day just to see if it was to change, and it didn't, so i say go for it!
Nitrogen is a lighter gas then Hydrogen, long time ago i had done some calculations for this and it comes to saving weight as well, bc the rotational mass would be less. this was the same for helium as well.

http://www.parker.com/balston/OEM/cat/engl...ParkerTSN2A.pdf
mo_focus,Feb 25 2005, 12:36 PM Wrote:Nitrogen is a lighter gas then Hydrogen, long time ago i had done some calculations for this and it comes to saving weight as well, bc the rotational mass would be less.  this was the same for helium as well.

http://www.parker.com/balston/OEM/cat/engl...ParkerTSN2A.pdf
[right][snapback]89215[/snapback][/right]

Doesn't Hydrogen have a lighter atomic mass than any other element?
Penwraith,Feb 25 2005, 07:18 AM Wrote:Wallmart this guy wanted to fill my tires with hellium!

Ah yes...racing air.
go for it man... just curious
what brand and model tires are you installing?
what price did costco give you?
Its funny but third world countries use nitrogen everywhere...and so far the climate/heat/cold... temp on the tires, always the same .
All I've heard ..its great.
What brand and model tires are you installing?
What price did costco give you?

The only brand they had in stock in my tires size was from Michelin, and they have BFGoodrich, and Bridgestone on order.

Michelin's are $158.69 each plus tax, including everything to install them.
BFGoodrich I was quoted $162.37 each when they get them, and Bridgestone was the middle of the two $159.79.
i havce kmart tires :lol:
Yeah, they match your Wal-Mart wing on that thing! :D :rofl:
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 27 2005, 12:10 AM Wrote:Yeah, they match your Wal-Mart wing on that thing! :D :rofl:
[right][snapback]89705[/snapback][/right]

ur trying to be funny :lol: its there for functuion after 240 km's can your car even go 240??