FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Bought Some Focus Books.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just bought 2 covers from Amazon.ca I think I got a dam good deal.

Crappy Tire wanted $60 for the Haynes repair book and I couldnt find it any where else.

So on Amazon.ca I actually got both these books for $36.48 CDN. After shipping and taxes it came to $47 Canadian. I know the Haynes one lists as 2000-2001 but I dont think there is a newer version out yet. Im sure alot of it is the same.

[Image: 1563924544.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg] [Image: 1884089895.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]
As for the 2nd book some of us might not have heard of it..

Quote:At a price of around $14, this book is the second-best bargain I've ever seen (the #1 bargain was when I bought my Focus below invoice).

Now the long version:

This is a really cool book. The author takes a very methodical and systematic approach in order to find out where the Zetec engine is restricted, and where the stock components will suffice. Throughout the book, the engine modifications are tested on the dyno in order to tell what works and what doesn't. Case in point: the stock throttle body looks like a bottleneck, but the author made well over 200 wheel horsepower using it on a turbocharged Zetec. On a supercharged Zetec, however, the author shows that the stock throttle body is indeed a restriction. While other guys are wasting their time with mods that won't make any noticeable difference, Holdener is actually testing all of the changes he makes and passing on what he has learned. If you're a beginner, this book will save you a lot of money. If you're experienced, this book will save you a lot of time.

This book was clearly rushed into print, as there are a LOT of typos and mislabeled graphs - you've got to pay careful attention to the text. In one case, it appears that the graphs were put on the wrong pages entirely, as the numbers on the graph are nowhere near what they should be. The quantitative value of the graphs is limited, but the qualitative value is enormous. The reader can see just where a given configuration makes its power, which is crucial for both off-road and street use. I, for instance, have no use for some wild engine that makes peak power between 7,000 and 8,000 rpm's. On the other hand, I fell in love with the power curve of Pectel's turbo - it looks absolutely perfect for street use (which is ironic given that I'm pretty sure it's not street-legal - I guess it's designed for rally cars). Unfortunately, this brings us to the biggest problem with this book - it's not appropriate for street cars.

This book is definitely aimed at off-road use. There is very little discussion of emissions - in fact, I can't recall any of the turbo setups being street-legal. I would've liked to see a catalytic converter squeezed in for a few of the tests, especially since the cat can be such a restriction under the right conditions. That is, I'd like to see a comparison of the stock cat to a high-flow aftermarket cat. That would be VERY helpful.

This book focuses (no pun intended) almost entirely on the [Zetec] engine, with turbocharging receiving the most attention. Supercharging and normally aspirated mods are covered pretty thoroughly, but nitrous, sadly, is almost ignored. There is only one dyno test on a nitrous setup, which is unfortunate given nitrous' affordability. Ironically, nitrous is probably the most likely mod for a novice to make, yet this book leaves us flying blind in terms of the fuel requirements (how many beginners have the equipment to measure air/fuel ratios?). It would've been nice to see a couple more dyno runs so that I can tell how large my injectors need to be. Of course, the reader can use the other tests in the book to get a rough idea of what injector size is required for a given power output, but nothing compares to the usefulness of one of Holdener's tests.

As I said earlier, this book is almost exclusively about upgrading the Zetec engine. It touches briefly on suspension mods, and very briefly on the drivetrain and brakes. There are no dyno tests to show the effect of the aluminum flywheel vs. stock. Nor are there any scientific tests on the torque-biasing differential, the upgraded brakes, or the effect of the new final drive ratio (again, it appears that the book was rushed into print). This doesn't seem like a terrible shortcoming, except that I think a discussion of rotating mass would be a great addition to this book. For example, the lighter flywheel should've made a noticeable difference off the line, and the up-sized wheel/tire package would obviously place more demands on the brakes.

Overall, this book is awesome! Just keep in mind that the text is STRONGLY biased toward racing. In fact, Holdener used Union 76 118 Pro Stock race fuel for one of the tests (last time I checked, that wasn't one of the choices on the pump at my local Hess station). A word of warning for beginners: after reading this book, you're going to want all the stuff you've seen in Holdener's cars. If you're poor (like me), either start looking for a second job or get ready to be extremely envious!
wouldn't mind getting my hands on that Focus Builders book. already have the haynes manual.
You got Riped off then for paying that much,

IF you went to Parts Source, they sell the Hanes repair books for $15.95 - $18.99... after taxes it's just under $ 23

I paid $17.95 for the Focus book after taxes it was $ 21.68
I got the Haynes manual for 17.99 :)
Focus Builder's book eh? Looks sweet!
ZX3TUNR,Feb 12 2005, 10:48 PM Wrote:So on Amazon.ca I actually got both these books for $36.48 CDN. After shipping and taxes it came to $47 Canadian.
[right][snapback]85644[/snapback][/right]

Man, you should have bought something else for another $2.52+ you wouldnt have had to pay shipping at all. Amazon.ca has their free "super saver shipping" on orders over $39..
Couldnt find anything ont here for $3 :(
Got the books today.

WoW!!! Im so stoked. So much info. The Focus builders hand book is really good. For sure something good for any one modding there focus to read.
I got mine for 17.99 at Canadiantire. They are not the brightest people, especially at the parts counter everyone I've encountered must have been retarded.

DRyanC
Most of the testing on the turbo projects is on race gas and what about that last project I don't think you can even close the hood . When you try to show people how to make big power from the zetec engine you should spend some time to clean out your work. B)
is there lots of pics
Ya tuns of pics. Sort of confusing at times. Specially when hes showing the Vortech after cooler. Its like sitting right on top of the valve cover? I got a chance to read the Focus Builders one and I dunno. You could easily get all the info from the net.

The Haynes thow is super good thow :D
DRyanC,Feb 17 2005, 02:33 PM Wrote:I got mine for 17.99 at Canadiantire. They are not the brightest people, especially at the parts counter everyone I've encountered must have been retarded.

DRyanC
[right][snapback]87134[/snapback][/right]

yeah I agree with you. most of them are retards. I went to get a battery for my brother's car. I ask for a battery for 98 A6(audi) and the retard gave me a battery for an 86 ninety eight(oldsmobile). What a damn retard. Then I have to come back and line up to get it exchanged. they wasted 1 1/2 hours of my time.
i jstu watch 2 gusy and a garage and they taught me how to change a timing belt add an intake and put in some gauges