FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need Opinions Please - Exhaust Tip
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
ok need opinions on an exhaust tip for our Focus wagon, i cant stand the look of the stock raw looking piece of pipe, now i am not ruling out a full muffler/tip, but i dont want a rice rocket sewer pipe, or the obnoxious sound that goes with it, just want a nice clean look, so post away with your suggestions and pics if you can find them, thanks

[Image: focustailpipe01smaller.JPG]

[Image: focustailpipe02smaller.JPG]

BTW, excuss the dirty mess of the car, its our daily driver and it is winter time :)

01-yellow-ZX3

You just want looks, or a little rumble also?
I went to crappy and got a Vibrant SS (stainless steel) 3" tip that doesn't sound too ricey at all. In fact, it's almost un-noticeable. Just don't forget to cut the stock pipe back a few inches like I did, and then get too lazy to fix it :rolleyes:
I have a stock ford chrome tip thingie kicking around somewhere
01-yellow-ZX3,Feb 11 2005 Wrote:You just want looks, or a little rumble also?
[right][snapback]85131[/snapback][/right]

rumble - maybe - just dont want "obnoxious sound"

its mainly for looks - but i am not ruling out a tip/muffler combo

i am really a mustang guy - the focus is my daily driver - i came here to get input from the focus experts, thanks and keep the suggestions coming
Yeah CT would probably be your best bet. Thats where I picked my tip for the Justy.

I have a Borla Tip. I like it, its not huge and looks clean with the back end of my car.

[Image: 2a23d155.jpg]

And I dont think you get a much different sound by just changing the tip, were talking focus here, not a mustang GT with some flowmaster long pipes. :D

01-yellow-ZX3

A couple buddies of mine had their rear muffler hacked off by a local muffler shop, and had a pipe bent in its place, with their choice of chrome tip welded on for $45.

It's not too loud, since theres still 1 muffler left.
Here is mine...I think it was $19.00 at midas///

[Image: ClearFocus4.jpg]
[Image: hd-can1.jpg]

Oops thought I was on a honda site :lame:

but seriously that borla tip does look good. be careful some of those cheap tips just rust and take the rest of the exaust with them.

David
NoiSeeVT,Feb 10 2005, 08:26 PM Wrote:[Image: hd-can1.jpg]

Oops thought I was on a honda site :lame:

[right][snapback]85171[/snapback][/right]

:rolleyes:
Before installing a MBRP on my wagon, I had put on a crappy tire chrome tip. It was only held by two screws - I was afraid it would fall off. Within six months it started to rust and my worries about it falling off were no more as the rust and corrosion fused it to the tailpipe.
ZTWsugardaddy,Feb 10 2005, 08:41 PM Wrote:Before installing a MBRP on my wagon, I had put on a crappy tire chrome tip.  It was only held by two screws - I was afraid it would fall off.  Within six months it started to rust and my worries about it falling off were no more as the rust and corrosion fused it to the tailpipe.
[right][snapback]85178[/snapback][/right]

I had the same thing happen on my Sunbird back in the day.
The Ractive tips are very good quality, I think I bought the one I had (before I got the MBRP) for about $30
[Image: 100400_sm.jpg]

this is kinda what i am thinking of when mean muffler/tip combo, i am just unsure of what it will sound like

thanks for all the input
didin't 2001 ZTS have one he was trying to unload?
Send him a PM.
I have a Ractive tip I got from a local muffler shop, ovalular and it fits perfectly in the shape of the exhaust cutout. You should head to a muffler shop that has some tips on display and check some out.. if they're cool, they'll let you do a test fit (slip it over the tailpipe) so you can see what it'll look like on the car.

It's personal preference whether you want a tip with a rolled edge or cut edge, circle or oval.. Just dont go too big and dont have it sticking out too far and you'll be good. Also it's a good idea to get the shop to weld it on and cut a bit of the stock pipe off, then you'll never worry about the set-screws letting go and losing it.
S2,Feb 10 2005, 09:54 PM Wrote:The Ractive tips are very good quality, I think I bought the one I had (before I got the MBRP) for about $30
[right][snapback]85183[/snapback][/right]

I had a Vibrant chrome tip added to the tip of my stock exhaust. That's because I couldn't stand the look of the Pee-Shooter tip, especially when I switched over to the SVT Rear.

Infact, when I switched to the MBRP exhaust, my Stock exhaust is sitting in my garage and the tip is still fused to my stock muffler, The bolts got rusted and fused it together for good.
I had a big-can muffler for a while....even with no mods, it was flippin loud!!

Go for something smaller and quieter!!!

I would go with something like this then...

http://www.focussport.com/exhaust.htm

Stealth Muffler*
ANTHONYD,Feb 11 2005, 02:03 PM Wrote:didin't 2001 ZTS have one he was trying to unload?
Send him a PM.
[right][snapback]85278[/snapback][/right]

I was thinking the same thing but can't remember if I gave it to my brother in law or not?????

I'll have to dig around the garage, it is (was?) a polished Bosal Brospeed 2-1/4" in 3-1/4" out, round with rolled end. Still in box as I bought a full cat-back.

It would be the one marked "small" in this picture:

[Image: I22603.gif]

EDIT: Still have it, can be picked up in Toronto (DVP/Don Mills South), $25.
Pages: 1 2