FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 359,000 Focus' Being Recalled
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just heard on the news..(u.s. news) that Ford is recalling 359,000 Focus' models because of faulty rear door latches on the zx5 and sedans....

...apparently they could 'release at an undesirable time'..

:huh:
Linkage?
This is from the NHTSA

Quote:Make:  FORD 
Model:  FOCUS 
Type:  ANY 
Year:  2000 
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 358857

Recall Date : JAN 31, 2005
Recall Number:  05V030000 

Summary:  
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES WITH FOUR OR FIVE DOORS AND ORIGINALLY SOLD OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, A BUILD-UP OF CORROSION AT THE PAWL PIVOT AREA OF THE REAR DOOR LATCH CAN CAUSE A BINDING CONDITION OF THE PAWL THAT MAY AFFECT PROPER ENGAGEMENT OF THE PAWL INTO THE CATCH. THE OCCUPANT MAY EXPERIENCE DIFFICULTY OPENING OR CLOSING A REAR DOOR, AND EVENTUALLY THE REAR DOOR MAY NOT LATCH PROPERLY. 
Consequence:  
IF NOT LATCHED PROPERLY, THE DOOR MAY OPEN WHILE THE VEHICLE IS IN MOTION. IF AN OCCUPANT FELL OUT OF THE VEHICLE, PERSONAL INJURIES COULD OCCUR. 
Remedy:  
DEALERS WILL HAVE A LOWER ROCKER SEAL ADDED TO THE DOOR AND HAVE THE REAR DOOR LATCHES EVALUATED. A LATCH THAT PASSES THE EVALUATION WILL BE LUBRICATED TO PREVENT FUTURE CORROSION. A LATCH THAT DOES NOT PASS THE EVALUATION WILL BE REPLACED. IN ADDITION, A STICKER WILL BE AFFIXED TO THE REAR DOORS ADVISING THE OWNERS TO USE THE RECOMMENDED LUBRICANT. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON MARCH 1, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673. 
Notes:  
FORD RECALL NO. 05S27. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION?S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236.
I alays have to close my back doors twice. They never close on the first try.
Never had that yet. Had one incident last month with my front driver's door cause it was -35 out before windchill and there was some accumulation on the door latch mechanism, but hey... that's just physics :)

Worked fine ever since.
It;s funny because the last time I washed the car.... I noticed a buch of reddish rusty coloured crap in the rear door mechanics. I just blast it with WD-40 everytime I wash the car.
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 7 2005, 05:41 PM Wrote:Never had that yet. Had one incident last month with my front driver's door cause it was -35 out before windchill and there was some accumulation on the door latch mechanism, but hey... that's just physics :)

Worked fine ever since.
[right][snapback]84008[/snapback][/right]

I get that quite a bit when it is really cold so I guess it is too be expected however funny how it doesn't happen on any other car I've owned.
2001 ZTS,Feb 7 2005, 02:40 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 7 2005, 05:41 PM Wrote:Never had that yet. Had one incident last month with my front driver's door cause it was -35 out before windchill and there was some accumulation on the door latch mechanism, but hey... that's just physics :)

Worked fine ever since.
[right][snapback]84008[/snapback][/right]

I get that quite a bit when it is really cold so I guess it is too be expected however funny how it doesn't happen on any other car I've owned.
[right][snapback]84035[/snapback][/right]

I wouldn't expect ANY car to work right in -40 weather.
It worked fine in all the other cold weather, especially the -2 one day, -22 the next with plenty of freezing all around. Just a bad spot of frozen water in the door latch mechanism, and I've had that happen in my Ranger and the Celebrity wagon I had before.
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 7 2005, 03:41 PM Wrote:It worked fine in all the other cold weather, especially the -2 one day, -22 the next with plenty of freezing all around. Just a bad spot of frozen water in the door latch mechanism, and I've had that happen in my Ranger and the Celebrity wagon I had before.
[right][snapback]84062[/snapback][/right]

I used to drive an old 85 celebrity.

Man! That car was the bomb... you couldn't get the doors open on a cold day if you tried.
Woo-Hoo!

I GOT RECALL!

I just ran my VIN through the website and it does apply to me. This is one problem I have not experienced though. May be due to the fact that I rust check every year? We'll see what happens when they decide to replace altogther or just lube.
2001 ZTS,Feb 7 2005, 05:04 PM Wrote:Woo-Hoo!

I GOT RECALL!

I just ran my VIN through the website and it does apply to me. This is one problem I have not experienced though. May be due to the fact that I rust check every year? We'll see what happens when they decide to replace altogther or just lube.
[right][snapback]84101[/snapback][/right]

Can you post the website?
YEAH!

Recalls Listed

Affected Vehicle VIN

wouldn't you like to know

Recall

05S27
REAR DOOR LATCH CORROSION

What Should I Do Next?

- Locate your local dealership

- Advise the service department of the open recall on your vehicle

- Setup an appointment to have the recall completed

Locate a Ford or Ford/Lincoln dealership
They forgot:

"Place call to AutoTrader"
2001 ZTS,Feb 7 2005, 05:28 PM Wrote:They forgot:

"Place call to AutoTrader"
[right][snapback]84126[/snapback][/right]
:lol: :lol:

Or a couple of these.

[Image: w_mototov.jpg]
Woohoo!

I'll have to place a call to service shortly. And maybe I can finally get my damn window trim fixed! :angry:
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 7 2005, 11:13 PM Wrote:........And maybe I can finally get my damn window trim fixed!  :angry:
[right][snapback]84162[/snapback][/right]

Rear door opening at the rear end from the waistline up?

It's pressure fit and can be squeezed back in by hand, till the next time a fly lands on it. It's not in there very well, just another petty anoyance.
Driver's front door at the rear, waist-high... but yeah. Some guys on here have had theirs "fixed" at the dealer. Not sure how tho. :angry:
WOW 359,000 potential forum members LOL :D LOL :D LOL :D LOL :D LOL
Pages: 1 2