FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Removing Swirl Marks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
i like to DIY .. but really cant afford/justify spending the $ for a porter cable buffer. anyone have any other tips/suggestions?
Princess Auto or XSCargo find yourself a a Orbital. Don't get one thats above 3200 RPM or you'll have to watch burning the paint.

Find some of this;
[Image: MIRM0916sm.jpg]
Swirl Remover
A cleaner and a polish in one bottle. If, much to your dismay, you notice swirl marks, tiny scratches or other mild defects, you'll appreciate Meguiar's ultra-safe Swirl Remover. This amazing product will carefully eliminate those annoying problems-whether applied by hand, or using a machine buffer/polisher. While Swirl Remover is gently cleaning, it's also polishing, leaving a dramatic, high-gloss shine. It's even formulated to reduce splatter and make application and wipe-down easier. For use by hand, orbital buffer, dual action polisher or rotary buffer.
MIR M0916 - Swirl Remover - 16 oz.

And then some of this and you should be good.
[Image: MIRM8232sm.jpg]
Body Shop Professional Swirl Free Polish
Eliminates light scratches as well as swirl marks. The next step up in aggressiveness from Meguiar's Hand Polish, Swirl Free Polish has the enhanced cutting power to tackle fine scratches, as well as more rapidly erase swirls. It's formulated to apply smoothly-and wipe off with ease. Use it to safely restore a glistening reflective shine to all types of paint, including clear coats.
MIR M8232 - Body Shop Professional Swirl Free Polish - 32 oz.

You should be able to find this stuff anywhere but I found it the cheapest at Parts Source and this website I order from in Cali.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/detailsupplydepot/dsd29.aspx
Scorcher000,Apr 22 2009, 08:49 AM Wrote:Princess Auto or XSCargo find yourself a a Orbital. Don't get one thats above 3200 RPM or you'll have to watch burning the paint.

You mean rotary, right?
No Random Orbital. The Buffery or "Rotary" is only for ppl that know what they are doing or ppl that don't care to see swirl marks or burn marks.
Take a look at these how to videos on these sites:

http://www.eshine.ca

http://www.autogeek.net/

great forum to learn all about proper paint care:

http://www.autopia.org/

These sites will tell you exactly what you need to do to have a swirl free car.
Yep and you can also just go to Youtube and type in Meguairs detailing or something along those lines.
Scorcher000,Apr 22 2009, 10:13 AM Wrote:No Random Orbital. The Buffery or "Rotary" is only for ppl that know what they are doing or ppl that don't care to see swirl marks or burn marks.
[right][snapback]285588[/snapback][/right]

Ok, I'll check Princess Auto next time I'm there for an orbital! :)
buck up and get the porter cable. Great machine, speeds 1-6 for different types of work.. get it online, the best price I could get at Canadian tire was 190+. You can use it for sanding to...great for fiberglass jobs.
I'll check the next time I'm at Lowe's in Ogdensburg. I think its around $100 US...
reldridge,Apr 22 2009, 12:47 PM Wrote:I'll check the next time I'm at Lowe's in Ogdensburg. I think its around $100 US...
[right][snapback]285613[/snapback][/right]

I know you pros will cringe at the thought - but there's a 10" 120v random orbital polisher by Bonaire at Costco for 37 bucks ... it's only got one speed (3200 rpm) but I figure if you need it to go slower you just push down harder (j/k) ... obviously not a premium machine but it's also a far cry from the $ above.

[Image: 337f_1_sbl.JPG]

It's ok buddy I have a 14.99 from Princess Auto lol. Does the same thing just you can't push on them or you'll cook the motor.
I have a random orbital I got a number of years back. I wish I had it out of storage when I was doing my clay bar a couple weeks back. It would have saved me at least an hour when I was doing the final wax.
Scorcher000,Apr 22 2009, 06:35 PM Wrote:Does the same thing [right][snapback]285636[/snapback][/right]

doubt that.
That 'polisher' is just a waxer. It won't do any paint correction, not enough HP.

I have the little Simoniz cordless one, and it does a fine job for waxes or glazes. It won't touch swirls though. I have it teamed with Meguiar's pads currently. Meguiar's sells the same unit, rebranded of course.

[Image: B0009IQZ3E.01-A1AAVMCHPGGK33._SS500_SCLZ...00737_.jpg]

This be a polisher to do some paint correction... Porter Cable 7424

[Image: Porter-Cable-7424-rw-76929-21380.JPG]

Or this... A Cyclo... :)

[Image: Cyclo1.22681056_std.jpg]

If you want to see some crazy stuff and awesome paint correction, troll the forums on http://autopia.org/
Flofocus,Apr 22 2009, 09:12 PM Wrote:
Scorcher000,Apr 22 2009, 06:35 PM Wrote:Does the same thing [right][snapback]285636[/snapback][/right]

doubt that.
[right][snapback]285650[/snapback][/right]

Well they move in the same direction and in the same way in a random orbit. (Random Circluar Motion). They move at the same speed.
They do correct paint you just have to know how to use them and upgrade your waxes and compounds.
Either way everyone uses what they have and you can all get the same finish with what ever products and machines you have, you just use them correctly.
Scorcher000,Apr 23 2009, 08:52 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Apr 22 2009, 09:12 PM Wrote:

doubt that.
[right][snapback]285650[/snapback][/right]

Well they move in the same direction and in the same way in a random orbit. (Random Circluar Motion). They move at the same speed.
They do correct paint you just have to know how to use them and upgrade your waxes and compounds.
Either way everyone uses what they have and you can all get the same finish with what ever products and machines you have, you just use them correctly.
[right][snapback]285660[/snapback][/right]

Why do you think I moved up to the mikita & porter cable? Like it was mentioned, those $20 machiens are good to apply wax and thats about it, you will not get the same results as using a mikita and porter cable with the right cutting pads & compounds.

You run a detaling business? I sure hope you're not compounding with that machine. :ph34r:
The Makita and Porter Cable machines, been there done that. They cost a stupid amount and they last a short life span. To replace the brushes or service them is pretty much half the cost of a new one. My $45 dollar Power Fist from Princess Auto does me find. Any problems with it I stand in a 5 minute line up and wait to exchange it.
By the way the Blue Simoniz Polisher from C-Tire is the same thing as the Power Fist one. So don't waste your money on that one ppl.
Back to the matter, I don't just use the machines to polish paint. I polish All types of Metal, Plastic and Paint. So the machines get a s*** kicking anyways, so why would I waste my money on buying something that would cost a 3X-6X the amount of a new cheaper machine to buy.
Like I said they do the same result deppend on how you use them.
The wax/compounds depend too, try looking into Malco. If you find some in canada let me know.
I cant speak to the reliability of the porter as I just got it last year, but I've had the mikita for over 4 years and haven;t had any problems whatsoever with it. Its not like I use it for buffing only to, I use it for fiberglass sanding, and wood sanding also. Take a s*** kickin and keeps on tickin, I would assume the porter will do the same.

It must take you 4 days to compound a car with that buffer man, Trust me, Ive used those also, and they dont even come close to comparing with a proper buffer.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I strongly beleive in using the right tools, and a $20 buffer just cannot be compered to the porter or mikita with the proper cutting pads.
I mostly use the Orbital to do big flat surfaces that why you would have no swirl marks from the buffer. It does take a little longer but You would have to use a more liquid compound instead of a paste.
I do have a Orbital that cost me about $280 3 years ago and it's a 2 stage motor but I rarely use it. I have about 5 Buffers 2 for Metal, 2 Paint and 1 for other/Back up.
Using the right tools will get the job done quicker but you can use what ever you got to get it done. Just like the term/saying "Get er Done".
Scorcher000,Apr 23 2009, 01:52 PM Wrote:I mostly use the Orbital to do big flat surfaces that why you would have no swirl marks from the buffer. It does take a little longer but You would have to use a more liquid compound instead of a paste.
I do have a Orbital that cost me about $280 3 years ago and it's a 2 stage motor but I rarely use it. I have about 5 Buffers 2 for Metal, 2 Paint and 1 for other/Back up.
Using the right tools will get the job done quicker but you can use what ever you got to get it done. Just like the term/saying "Get er Done".
[right][snapback]285675[/snapback][/right]

its good to see lively discussion on the subject... im not really convinced that i *need* a porter cable (or makita).. isn't it the product that i am applying that makes the difference?
Pages: 1 2 3