FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Which Short Shifter Is Better
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm looking for a new short shifter. So far I've found 3 of them and don't know which one to get:

From ZX3Tuning:

RACE SHORT THROW SHIFTER.........................................................135Cdn

From Steeda.ca:

Tri-ax Shifter................................$165 Cdn

From B&M:

The B&M Short Shifter...........................$???Cdn

Now which one would be the best bang for the buck? I'm leaning towards either the Steeda or Mitch's Race Short Throw Shifter because I've heard B&M shifters break also and they aren't cheap. let me know ur input!
I have the B&M. Bought it used, and I havent had any problems with it. I think it was a revised version that shouldnt break. I shift hard, and it takes every shift no problems. Its tight, not as tight as an svt, but a def improvement over stock. I like the lower position on the shifter also, something you wont get with the Steeda shifter. I've tried both the Steeda and B&M, and I like the B&m more, only because of the height position. Other than that, I say they both had the same 'throw'. :huh:
Not really applicable, but I have a B+M Z-Gate shifter in the truck, and it slamshifts the A4OD without grief 24/7.

Very nice workmanship, very good feel, positive locks where they're
the steeda tri-ax shifter looks like a great piece of hardware. If I had money, I'd get one myself.
darkpuppet,Jan 31 2005, 12:14 PM Wrote:the steeda tri-ax shifter looks like a great piece of hardware.  If I had money, I'd get one myself.
[right][snapback]82232[/snapback][/right]

What's the height difference between the stock shifter the steeda shifter and the B&M shifter. Flofocus (aka Nate) told me that the B&M is the shortest which I have seen and it's pretty short. Is the steeda one at all shorter than stock?
Do we get a discount from Steeda from being members of focuscanada or OFOC?
MAlby7,Jan 31 2005, 04:18 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Jan 31 2005, 12:14 PM Wrote:the steeda tri-ax shifter looks like a great piece of hardware.  If I had money, I'd get one myself.
[right][snapback]82232[/snapback][/right]

What's the height difference between the stock shifter the steeda shifter and the B&M shifter. Flofocus (aka Nate) told me that the B&M is the shortest which I have seen and it's pretty short. Is the steeda one at all shorter than stock?
[right][snapback]82233[/snapback][/right]

you'd have to ask steeda to be sure, but I don't think the tri-ax is much, if any shorter than the stock shifter.

They change the pivot to get you the short shifting without moving the shifter further away from your hands... that's the one thing I really liked about it. Anyone can make a 'short' shifter, not everyone offers a true 'short throw' shifter.
B&M is s**t.....

STEEDA or FC are very good choices, I know MARCY MOTORSPORTS has a STS out for the focus also. The only aftermarket one I know of that keeps the reverse lockout (if you want that) is the STEEDA.
B&M was amazing on my Focus.
I have the Steeda tri-ax shifter. It retains the reverse lockout ring. No complaints here.

[Image: focusInterior.jpg]
For the difference in size:

[Image: shifter.jpg]

Steeda Tri-Ax on the top, stock on the bottom. You'll notice that below the ball is slightly longer, and of course above is a lot shorter. I love it but I've never tried any of the other ones.
Ebay one, $45cdn shipped. have it for more than a yr no problem. :P
Focus Is Art,Jan 31 2005, 01:43 PM Wrote:Ebay one, $45cdn shipped.  have it for more than a yr no problem. :P
[right][snapback]82264[/snapback][/right]

That's the thing I broke my ebay one this morning!

It would be great if we could get a pic of a B&M beside a Tri-Ax beside Stock!
This was my B&M..looks VERY similar to the Tri ax

[Image: shifter.jpg]

[Image: shifter1.jpg]
I've been running the steeda sts for just over a year now, and have no complaints at all.
skifreak69,Jan 31 2005, 08:13 PM Wrote:I've been running the steeda sts for just over a year now, and have no complaints at all.
[right][snapback]82333[/snapback][/right]

Was the height reduced at all? By how much?
Jays2000ZX3,Jan 31 2005, 02:53 PM Wrote:This was my B&M..looks VERY similar to the Tri ax
[right][snapback]82307[/snapback][/right]

Well Steeda does like to rebadge other people's products as their own, so it wouldnt be a surprise.
Can anyone confirm this? B&M/STEEDA the same.... wow, I want to know if this is true.....
pretty certain the Tri/Ax isn't rebadged... and the pivot point is changed by a quarter inch plate that is inserted during instal... I have no pics, but surely someone does. I have the SVT Tri/Ax and it's pretty sic, great feel.
Steeda is the manufacturer of the tri-ax. I have pictures I have to dig up of all the CAD of them designing it.

Does B&M use a tri-ax...I doubt it, but you never know

Could be more cost effective for them to have one made for them
Pages: 1 2