FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: So Who's Been Almost Trouble Free?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, after reading a lot of posts on here about the various problems with the Foci's, I'm wondering if I'm the only person on here who's had almost nothing go wrong with his car? :ph34r:

I Have only replaced the front swaybar links, and gotten a leak in the AC lines repaired, but other than that, I've had nothing go wrong with my car. I'd even say that the swaybar links could be due to high milage and rough roads over a short period of time. I've replaced the links, the front rotors and pads (once), the tires (once), and the exhaust (by choice, not because of need).

There only a couple little gripes I have with the car,including aftermarket light bulbs (like the Silverstars) don't last in the extreme cold...I was replacing them once per month last winter. Also, I hate how fast the foglamps leaked or got discoloured, the fuel guage NEVER goes to full (even if I put gas in until it streams down the side of the car), and the hatch release button (and the one on the keyfob) won't open the hatch with the car running 50-75% of the time (wonder if that's a safety feature that can be disabled like the seatbelt alarm).

Those things aside, I've had nothing substantial go wrong with the car (knocking on the wood desk as I type that...lol :P )...

Anyone else in the same scenario as me? Just seemed to have picked a good solid car, possibly built on a tues/wed/thurs? Lol! :lol:
Drivesthebeast,Jan 18 2005, 10:25 AM Wrote:Anyone else in the same scenario as me?  Just seemed to have picked a good solid car, possibly built on a tues/wed/thurs? Lol! :lol:
[right][snapback]79407[/snapback][/right]

I havent had any problems with mine either. Aside from the stock headlight fogging up and replaced under warranty and a piece of trim that goes along the drivers door window lifting up that was fixed for free. But then mine is a 2002, most of the problems are on the 2000 and some 2001s.
I had the classic EGR (DPFE), replaced under warranty.
Couple sensors went, replaced under warranty.
Belt tensioner, belt replaced under warranty.
Driver's seat replaced, under warranty.
Armrest replaced, under warranty.

Stabilizer links replaced.
Hood release cable replaced.
Pads and rotors replaced.

That's it for me......
Other than pain in the ass numerous recalls, my car has been flawless.

"Less Ford parts on your car, the better" ;)

My car was pretty good as well... I had no complaints.
i had only the intake manifold replaced on mine.
had the fuel pump recall done, and coil wire plug replaced.. that is pretty much it..

oh yeah i broke a bolt for my shifter but that is caused by me hehe.. besides that, everything's been ok.. oh yeah valve cover gasket leaking (but at 130000km, you can expect stuff like that)
Nothing too serious!

Heated seat recall
Belt tensioner replaced, it's squeaking again!
Headliner kept falling down by rear hatch, fixed

Other than that, its been a great car! :)
I had my ZTS for 2 years...wheel bearing recall...one other recall...and a sensor replacement (DPFE, i think).

other than that...trouble free. The car was great. The only reason I ditched it when I did was because of the buyout being exhorbitently more than the value of the car.

my mistake was in modding it...either lease, leave it stock, and walk away...or finance, do what you want, and drive it until it dies ;)
The only problems I ever had was the hazard flasher switch that burnt out and took my dash cluster with it.

Every other problem was my fault or related to something I changed.
The only thing that I had to pay for on my 2000 was the valve cover gasket, a battery and wiper blades (all in the last 6 months.) I had some front end suspension noise that the dealer could not resolve, but that dissappeared when I installed my Eibachs. I've done all the recall stuff except the fuel pump. That's still working fine.

Not bad for a 5 year old domestic vehicle.
Yeah, mine being a 01, I'm lucky that it's come back with ZERO recalls...I asked about that before I bought it actually, and DeWildt Chrysler said they got it's history before they bought it, and apparently my particualr car was one of few without any recalls...only had the TSB from Ford regarding the springs... which won't bother me coz I'm replacing the entire suspension this year anyways.

The car is still a blast to drive, and though I've aged it by 2 years in the last 14 months, it's still running strong (or even stronger) than when I first got it. I just wish it didn't have that stupid windage noise in the tranny...ah well...my MBRP and my stereo drown that noise out anyways...lol!

I'd buy my car again, and actually consider having a 2nd one too...They have better interiors, more hp and tq than an equivalent civic, corolla, cavalier, neon, etc...cost less than them (except the cavi), I mean c'mon...for what the Focus is, and what it costs to buy, it's gotta be the best compact out there in it's pricerange...
Drivesthebeast,Jan 18 2005, 03:41 PM Wrote:Yeah, mine being a 01, I'm lucky that it's come back with ZERO recalls...I asked about that before I bought it actually, and DeWildt Chrysler said they got it's history before they bought it, and apparently my particualr car was one of few without any recalls...only had the TSB from Ford regarding the springs... which won't bother me coz I'm replacing the entire suspension this year anyways.

The car is still a blast to drive, and though I've aged it by 2 years in the last 14 months, it's still running strong (or even stronger) than when I first got it.  I just wish it didn't have that stupid windage noise in the tranny...ah well...my MBRP and my stereo drown that noise out anyways...lol!

I'd buy my car again, and actually consider having a 2nd one too...They have better interiors, more hp and tq than an equivalent civic, corolla, cavalier, neon, etc...cost less than them (except the cavi), I mean c'mon...for what the Focus is, and what it costs to buy, it's gotta be the best compact out there in it's pricerange...
[right][snapback]79430[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, unfortunately I have an 04 or 05 Sunfart as a rental now while Im in London. The 2.2 Ecotec engine does have some balls, but the rest of the car is absolute crap. I kept on comparing it to the focus, and the focus DID have better handing, better ride comfort (even with my lowered car, the ride in the focus was better than the stock Sunfire), soooooooooooooooooo much sweeter interior, and the focus just looks wayyyyyy better than anything else out there IMHO.

Just a qucik note on the material used in different cars. I brought my dog to London, and he likes jumping back and forth in the car and he managed to scratch the s**t out of the Sunfires interior. In my focus, the dog could put up his paws on the dask, slide, scratch, whatever, and he never damaged the focus's interior. It seems like Ford uses a real good "Scratch resistant" material in the interior, cuz I couldnt beleive how much scratches the dog did in a 5.5 hour trip on the sunfag.
But best bang for buck imho for sport compacts would be the Mazda 3 sport. Last year, I'd say it was the focus, but Mazda did real good with their 3.
my '02 which is approaching 45k's has had no problems at all ... the passanger door handle is starting to stick now ... but other than that .. its been a dream

and as off the 21st i well have officially had my car for 1 year ... let's just see what year 2 brings
No problems really, besides a stupid oil filter leak that Ford messed up on......besides that I can't really complain. But then again, I drive a 2004 lol.
i haven't have many problems, just one, and that would be my automatic tranny slipping, think they replace just about every sensor on my zx3 before fixing the problem. thankfully it was all under warenty.

i almost didn't have a car last summer cause the dealership was doing the battery cable recall when the wiring harness caught fire!!! good thing it was in their shop.
I've had these problems in this order:

Waterpump, security/alarm module, and dpfe.

It's been 3 years now, and the car is still trouble free.
4-1/2 years and 55,000 km without a catastrophic explosion! What other car can make that claim? Ford rules! Whooooo!

my focus had problems with interior trim not staying in place.. the usual recalls to the wheel bearing, fuel sender, wiper motor.. the ignition lock cylinder seized on me and left me out in the cold.. i guess i was pretty lucky too.. i was even luckier i found a buyer for it though

for comparison... my brother's toyota hasn't been in the shop for anything other than regularly scheduled maintenance in 7 yrs..

if i could do it all over again i'd have picked up a civic hatch or a corolla
Pages: 1 2