FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Smelly Heater
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2000 ZX3. When the car warms up and I use the heater, I get a smell of burnt oil blowing into the car, but only when the car is stopped. When the car is moving it's not there. Where does air enter the system to be heated? My valve cover was loose and I fixed that and some oil dripped down the front of the head, but not on the exhaust, my hand came up dry when I ran my hand along it. Coolant level doesn't drop. I'm confused because it dissappears when the cars moving. Any insight would be grateful. Thanks.

DRyanC
same with me.. a week after my coil wire plug fried and had to be replaced...

now it started smelling agian but the plug seemes fine so im thinking it was just a coincidence.. i have no idea why it does that.. if it was the oil on the block.. it wouldn't stop after a while
Oops sorry I corrected it.

When you're moving the air entering the engine bay dissapates the oil filled air and therefore you can't smell it. When your stopped the heater sucks up the air with the burnt oil in it. For me when I had this problem it was the valve cover gasket that needed to be replaced. I also had oil dripping down the block and a new valve cover gasket got rid of it.
head gasket? you sure? not valve cover?

mine doesn't always smell at red lights.. only smells now and then and after it disappears.. its mostly when i back up from my driveway.. then start rolling, then it smells.. but doesnt after some time.. stopped or rolling
Thanks. Where does the heater draw air in?

DRyanC
i can sometimes smell exhaust fumes from my air vents, would this be because the air gets sucked in somewhere near the flex pipe flange?
Going to the dealer on Monday to get that problem fixed. I'll tell you what it ends up being. From what I can see it looks like the valve cover gasket is leaking oil on the exhaust manifold. I smell it the burnt oil after I have been driving for a while and I stop at a light, then it seems to dissapates as I get up to speed again. But I can really smell it after getting out of my car from inside of my garage. I'll report Monday night.
Also see if it is under warrenty. I would like to se what they say. I don't trust the guys here at Concept

DRyanC
This happened to me a little while ago, what happened with mine was there is a seal/gasket under the valve cover (Called valve cover gasket) that is bad and needs to be replaced. Oil will leak out in small amounts and it get's on the heat shield covering the header. The gasket is cheap something like $30-40 and can be replaced easily by yourself. Like I said this was my problem and it may be different for you.
I have hte same problem. I changed my valve cover to a magensium one. Didn't like it. went back to stock, and now my interior stinks like burnt oil. Pissing the fack outta me. Car is going to the dealership on Monday, I will report this back.
I've never had anything like this, but I'm waiting to see exactly what it is, in case I see this down the road.
I'm getting that problem again too actually. Last time I cleaned out my air Filter and the problem went away, course now it's 4 months later and I got the smell again. Maybe it's the air filter ?

and DRyanC, Don't trust Concept for repairs, they screwed up my car last time it was in there for repairs. Not to mention they screwed me over several times with my warentee issues I've been having since I've been taking my car in for servcing at Colony Ford, here in Brampton.
Just a bump. Any word from the guys who took there cars to the dealer for this problem?

DRyanC
Brought it in on Monday, they said the valve cover gasket was leaking, but they did not have any in stock. So I am bringing it in on Thursday to have it done. Won't be able to tell if the smell goes away until Thursday night.

Warranty: apparently the 2000 focus did not come with a power train warranty that exceeded the basic 3yr 60K warranty :angry: my car: 65K 4.5yrs

Cost: about $130 with labour.
Smell is gone. :) It was the valve cover gasket.
dBlast,Jan 13 2005, 07:39 PM Wrote:Smell is gone. :)   It was the valve cover gasket.
[right][snapback]78824[/snapback][/right]

nice.. that was 130$ including labor? at Ford or another shop? i think i might just bring it in another shop to have it done..

don't have the tool to torque it back to spec.. or do you need to?
BerinG,Jan 17 2005, 01:59 PM Wrote:
dBlast,Jan 13 2005, 07:39 PM Wrote:Smell is gone. :)   It was the valve cover gasket.
[right][snapback]78824[/snapback][/right]

nice.. that was 130$ including labor? at Ford or another shop? i think i might just bring it in another shop to have it done..

don't have the tool to torque it back to spec.. or do you need to?
[right][snapback]79266[/snapback][/right]

yup, at Ford dealer. The part was about $48 (less 10% discount?) if you want to do it yourself or have someone else do it.