FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Valve Cover Gasket
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got 2 issues solved on the Focus. One was slow heat and that just took a
thermostat and the other was the valve cover gasket. I was noticing a burning smell coming through the vents and took it to the garage where thay replaced the gasket.
Anyone else replaced theirs yet ? I have 103,000 km on the car...

Thanks.
Medicman,Jan 1 2005, 01:41 PM Wrote:Anyone else replaced theirs yet ? [right][snapback]76975[/snapback][/right]
..I replaced mine each time I crack open the valve cover.

By experience, I've learned that the rubber gasket is not reusable for long. If you plan on doing any cam gear/ camshaft swap, make sure you buy a new valve cover gasket.

Good to know you resolved the smell.

Peace...
How much was the valve cover gasket to replace? Is it covered under the power train warranty? I am starting to smell that burning oil through the vents and it looks like the gasket has a slight leak with the drippage aimed for the header. :(
Werid. I dont even have a seperate gasket for my vavle cover. Its built right into the cover....
ZX3TUNR,Jan 1 2005, 08:09 PM Wrote:Werid. I dont even have a seperate gasket for my vavle cover. Its built right into the cover....
[right][snapback]76988[/snapback][/right]

Same here. You got an 02 right Jason?
ZX3TUNR,Jan 1 2005, 04:09 PM Wrote:Werid. I dont even have a seperate gasket for my vavle cover. Its built right into the cover....
..euh OK....?!?

It's a rubber gasket. It is molded inside the bottom part that makes contact with your head.

It is removeable and the same for any Focus from 2000 to 2004. Go and check...:)

Peace...
I did check when i removed my cover and painted it. Its built right in and does not come off.. At least mine wasnt coming off...
Vassili95,Jan 1 2005, 08:50 PM Wrote:
ZX3TUNR,Jan 1 2005, 04:09 PM Wrote:Werid. I dont even have a seperate gasket for my vavle cover. Its built right into the cover....
..euh OK....?!?

It's a rubber gasket. It is molded inside the bottom part that makes contact with your head.

It is removeable and the same for any Focus from 2000 to 2004. Go and check...:)

Peace...
[right][snapback]77043[/snapback][/right]

Not true, some very early 2000 Foci had magnesium valve covers and use a different gasket than the plastic valve covers that followed.
ZX3 Canuck,Jan 2 2005, 05:57 AM Wrote:
Vassili95,Jan 1 2005, 08:50 PM Wrote:
..euh OK....?!?

Peace...
[right][snapback]77043[/snapback][/right]

Not true, some very early 2000 Foci had magnesium valve covers and use a different gasket than the plastic valve covers that followed.
[right][snapback]77067[/snapback][/right]

I agree, I have the seperate gasket for my 2000 magnesium valve cover, and on my 2002, the gasket seems to be pushed into a groove that is on the valve cover itself.