FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Coolant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My coolant level is well below MIN.
My question is: can i just top it off or do i have to FLUSH it all out and refill?

Where do i get the same coolant? The label i says NO to PINK colour and YES to Yellow colour.
There is no need to flush your coolant. And you can just top it up. i would match the coolant colour in the car with some brand of the same colour. Red with red green with green extra.. but if your coolant keeps getting low it could mean a bigger problem and i would get it looked at.
You can get the universal coolant that mixes with any colour fluid. That way you are safe no matter what.
Focus man, Focus.,Apr 18 2009, 07:43 PM Wrote:You can get the universal coolant that mixes with any colour fluid.  That way you are safe no matter what.
[right][snapback]285301[/snapback][/right]

I'd be wary of that, esp. if your Focus is one of the newer ones with the gold Ford long life coolant.

Ford has denied warranty claims where it was proven that another coolant type was mixed in with theirs when there was a cooling system failure (This includes "universal" coolant not meeting Ford specs)

NefCanuck
cornflakes,Apr 18 2009, 05:06 PM Wrote:My coolant level is well below MIN.
My question is: can i just top it off or do i have to FLUSH it all out and refill?

Where do i get the same coolant?  The label i says NO to PINK colour and YES to Yellow colour.
[right][snapback]285296[/snapback][/right]
Canadian Tire sells pre-mixed coolant in small containers - both Prestone and they're own brand IIRC - just read the labels to find the one compatible with what you need and top up - and yeah, to what Daniel said I think you should forego the universal one unless you absolutely can't find the right specification.
the manual says not to mix any of these universal coolants with the motorcraft premium gold coolant in our focus.

I've been searching and can't find where to buy our motorcraft premium gold coolant?? Where can you buy it?

i hope it's not one of these s***ty PROPRIETARY techniques where we cannot buy or use anything other than motorcraft premium gold which is only available at the dealership.
I bought the jug of Ford stuff, I think it was $25 (This was a few years ago now 'cause it was after I bought the Focus)

I've hardly used any of it (and you shouldn't have to) if the coolant is dissapearing, its going somewhere :ph34r:

But AFAIK as long as what you use meets the Ford specs and can prove that it does (Believe me, Ford WILL deny a cooling system related warranty claim without you having thsi proof) it can be plaid for all it matters.

NefCanuck
Well i went to the dealership and bought a bottle of Motorcraft Premium Gold engine coolant. I thought it came mixed 50/50 already but i realized after i have to go out now and buy distilled water and an empty jug so i can pre-mix a perfect 50/50 engine coolant and distilled water.

I also bought a bottle of MERCON V for the power steering fluid. Apparently they said FORD has stopped making MERCON ATF power steering fluid but they said MERCON V is what we use so it's the same thing.

I topped it off...surprisingly i only poured in a bit and the fluid level rose quickly from way below MIN to now at MAX. I thought i would have to use at least a quarter of the bottle but i seriously only poured it in for a couple gulps.