FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Humming, Droning, Generally Loud Noise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
you should hear this, it's so damn loud.
As soon as the car starts to move, it starts. It gets loudest 85-90km/h. Drops off a bit over 100km/h.
Running stock wheels/rims, lowered only 1.5, had the rear aligment TSB done, (well the equivalent, bought and installed the parts myself, had alignment and install checked by ford).

I'm guessing its a rear bearing, I hit a curb last winter on that side and destroyed the stock rim. I figure I damaged a bearing or something. Dunno how much it's going to cost, i'm worried.

I know some of you have ukered bearings from pressure washers and such, Could you describe the sound?

Can bearings be done at home or should i bite the bullet and have ford do it?
j3rt,Dec 28 2004, 10:22 AM Wrote:you should hear this, it's so damn loud.
As soon as the car starts to move, it starts.  It gets loudest 85-90km/h.  Drops off a bit over 100km/h.
Running stock wheels/rims, lowered only 1.5, had the rear aligment TSB done, (well the equivalent, bought and installed the parts myself, had alignment and install checked by ford).

I'm guessing its a rear bearing, I hit a curb last winter on that side and destroyed the stock rim.  I figure I damaged a bearing or something.  Dunno how much it's going to cost, i'm worried.

I know some of you have ukered bearings from pressure washers and such, Could you describe the sound?

Can bearings be done at home or should i bite the bullet and have ford do it?
[right][snapback]76582[/snapback][/right]

Sounds like your right, I used to go though front wheel bearings pretty quick on my Focus. I could best describe the sound as almost like a caliper is dragging, it's the same sort of low sound.
well, Ford says it's the bearing also, 238+tax to fix today.
Gonna have to do it, as I have nowhere to do it myself right now. Laying in the snow of my parking lot, changing a bearing for the first time in my life, is not something I prepared to try today.
Sorry to hear about the expense Jer. Hopefully the wagon will run like new once it's done.
$275 later no noise, it was the rear bearing.
damn cars and their bills. :angry:
I guess you had the recall from many (3?) years ago and this is 100% damage related?
Oops, sorry. I thought this was a complaint about the excessive noise from my bedroom last night. :o :lol:
I'm an '02, that recall I believe was '99-'01s.
But no, no recall letter was received. No letter and 105,000km, i'm on my own. Although thinking back, I asked the dealer about recalls. I believe he said they've already been done and/or corrected during assembly.
Anyways, based on how fubar'd the rim was, a bung'd bearing is no surprise.

Just thought I'd add that you can buy a rear wheel bearing from ford for 58 bux... Not too hard to change either... Well if you have a press it's even easier. They probably sold you a whole new brake drum assembly. Most parts guys don't even know you can just buy the bearing.
What a ridiculous amount of money to pay for something like that.

I'm sure they're a cinch to replace too.

I almost messed my pants when I heard it was going to cost 300 bux to replace a part that cost 59 dollars. :angry:
bluetoy,Dec 29 2004, 02:15 PM Wrote:Just thought I'd add that you can buy a rear wheel bearing from ford for 58 bux... Not too hard to change either... Well if you have a press it's even easier. They probably sold you a whole new brake drum assembly. Most parts guys don't even know you can just buy the bearing.
[right][snapback]76639[/snapback][/right]

true but most of the time its not worth it

you can just by the drums and have them replaced too. this way you get new studs, centre hubs and new bearings. mine is getting sort of noticeable and i will change them this spring. this way at least i will have a nice looking drums for one season before the rust kicks in.

when we replaced the gf's it cost us 210 to do it and that was just the bearings. i could of just bought the drums and have them replaced. it would of been less headache for sure.
j3rt have you seen the white sedan with the red strips here in town?

Do you know this guy?