FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: V8 Swap
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Everyone on tempotopaz (the old forum I was on) is telling me that I should do a V8 swap into my Focus. Has anyone done this on here. Is this a kit that you can buy from FoMoCo or is this aftermarket?
no kits yet that I am aware of. No one on here either has done the swap. Well there is some guy from the states that comes on here that has done the contour v6 swap. But he is just some guy that goes onto all the focus boards too trying to make a buck selling focus parts.
Nobody here has done it or even talked serious about it. It is strictly in the domain of people with more money and less brains than anyone on here. Basicaly if you want a car that would perform like a V-8 Focus buy a (car of your choice that can do day after day and will be cheaper/better in the end all round) .
But hey, you just joined the world of the fuktards with a question like that. Congratulations!
meford4u,Dec 28 2004, 01:54 AM Wrote:But hey, you just joined the world of the fuktards with a question like that.  Congratulations!
[right][snapback]76531[/snapback][/right]

I think he likes you?

Rest assured he talks to EVEREYONE that way!

The short of it is V8 conversions, like AWD conversions, is an expensive novelty. Anyone would be better off just buying an STi or SRT-4 or whatever. If you had a sponsor, were confirmed on the show circuit, had unlimited funds or were a shop owner (access to cheap fabrication and labour) it may make sense.
If your serious the ford dealership in the gta that is a saleen dealer has put out at least one so far (as of darknights). The car is in barrie was purchased for something in the neighbourhood of 60K cdn. There is a website out there that sells all the neccesary parts to do the swap. Remember the parts cost at min. $5-8K U.S plus motor and tranny plus labour.
Oh and the fact that it is illegal in Ontario..............I won't look for a link but check out the "hot rod" excemption at DriveClean.ca(or .on?) but anyway you can't transplant a non factory production motor into a 1999 or LATER car.
EDIT: not necessarily illegal but "difficult":

What happens if I change(d) the motor in my Light-Duty vehicle?

If the vehicle is included in the program (appropriate age, registered in the program area), it will be considered a hot rod if the motor differs from the type that was originally offered by the manufacturer for that particular model year. All hot rods registered as the model year 1999 or earlier will continue to be tested according to 1980 emission standards. Vehicles registered as model year 2000 and later will be tested according to emission standards for their model year. Vehicles built to non-Canadian standards but imported into Canada will be tested similarly. Other specialty vehicles will be tested according to 1980 emission standards for an indefinite period, except for vehicles that have "kit" marked on the vehicle licence. Kit cars are exempt from the Drive Clean program

It exposes a fault with DriveClean but if you think a V8 Mustang engine can pass the standard of a ZETEC then you may try. The fault is that anyone could have bought a "stinky" V8 but test at a lower standard than someone who bought a Focus. DriveClean measures emmision instant volumes not tonnes emmsion-mile/year.
Actually the ZX3tuning car was one of the first cars with the Duratec V6 Contour SVT swap. Ask Mitch about it. Im sure he could get you in touch with the guys that helped with it. Actually Shane (the guy who does work on my car ) his brother Bron put in a lot of work into the Zx3tuning v6 swap with Shawn and another guy. I know your asking about the V8 but any one who has done a engine swap in a focus should be able to provide some helpful tips.

Any way for the V8 swap a guy In Regina, Dave Cape (does alot of hot rod stuff) is really wanting to do a V8 swap as a project last time I talked to him. He wants me to do it but Im all about the F/I LOL.
The Focus is transverse FWD and so are the V6 conversions I've seen including the Duratec ones. We are talking about a RWD V8 here to the best of my knowledge? That is a lot of work. There is the possibility of that Yamaha V8 though, it was intended and fitted in a FWD Ford (SHO) and discussed in an older thread I took part in.
The V8 conversion is available in the FastFocus catalog from Ford Racing:

link to Fast Focus Catalog

It's on the second last page of the catalog. There was a video a few months back of someone (from the states) that had done a conversion and doing some test runs on the street. It's a big job and the entire running gear has to be replaced (engine, transmission, rear diff put in, suspension, brakes, etc.)
2001 ZTS,Dec 27 2004, 10:40 PM Wrote:The Focus is transverse FWD and so are the V6 conversions I've seen including the Duratec ones. We are talking about a RWD V8 here to the best of my knowledge? That is a lot of work. There is the possibility of that Yamaha V8 though, it was intended and fitted in a FWD Ford (SHO) and discussed in an older thread I took part in.
[right][snapback]76541[/snapback][/right]

Yeah I was just curious about it..wasn't about to do it or anything. I already have my V8 car for the summer. I just wondered what the costs were. I like the 400km's I get on a tank of gas right now..doubt I will be doing anything to this engine.
Thanks for that link Dblast. There was some part numbers I was needing from that.
This is the web site for the v8 swap parts
http://www.kugelkomponents.com/focus/focus.html
doesnt ford offer the Focus RS package or something, its like $15,000 and includes the labour, for putting a V8, tranny, and everything, crate engine, all ready to go????
CraigG20,Dec 28 2004, 02:39 PM Wrote:doesnt ford offer the Focus RS package or something, its like $15,000 and includes the labour, for putting a V8, tranny, and everything, crate engine, all ready to go????
[right][snapback]76596[/snapback][/right]

I dont think so.. Ford built the RS8 which was an RS body that they put the new crate engine in, I dont think they intend on selling a kit or anything, it was just a show car/concept thing.

The Kugel people sell all the necessary stuff, and I think they have a shop and will do the labor themselves if you take it to them.

Still, it's a really expensive novelty.. but if you have the money to burn and really want a V8 Focus that's the way to go.
The Kugel kit alone costs nearly 6k USD if you get everything. Then you need everything else... motor trans diff etc etc. I looked into it.
Used fox body stangs are not that expensive... but ya .. it still adds up.
Here's a pic of a custom V8 job, I think this car was on E-bay the other week. This pic came off http://www.focusfanatics.com, so my guess is it belongs to some1 on there...

[Image: IMG_1410.jpg]
ohhh yeah, RS8, that was it.... hmm... i was positive i read in an SCC this last fall that it was..... strange.... ahh well! I like Foci, just know nothing about them :) JASON, supercharge that mofo already!
Pages: 1 2