FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: My Comments About "dyno Queen" Statements...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just have to make a point here that I couldn't get in the other thread.

Bluetoy, you have to be kidding me if you really think that a Dyno queen is a car that uses high octane fuel to get big numbers. :blink:

What do you think it takes to make big numbers? :blink:

Anyways, if I have a Mustang or a Civic, or a Focus or anycar that has 500whp using C16, and I drive the car every day, how is that a Dyno queen? Because you don't drive on C16 and you can't make that same power with 91 Octane?

That really doesn't make sense.

The Definition of a Dyno queen is "a car that can do a ~5-10 second run on a Dyno and get great top end power in 1 gear, but has NO drivability what so ever, it's a miracle it gets from shop floor to the dyno."

How is this what Tom's car is when I just watched a Vid or it at the track?

All of the High HP Civics on Honda Tech use C16 or other HIGH octane fuel, you don't see the people on Honda Tech calling them Dyno queens..why? because the people drive them everyday using high octane fuel.

There was a guy locally with a Talon, he could beat a GSXR600 from a stop. :o That's pretty damn fast, he was running C16, I don't even think it ever saw the Dyno..is that a Dyno queen because it's a high HP car using high Octane? It would be funny to hav ea Dyno Queen never see a Dyno..LOL! :lol:

I think Bluetoy has some huge issues and shouldn't be so IGNANT in your views.
WERD.

I would have to agree with Jay here....if it was a dyno queen why does he run it on the tracks and with big players.

I think it is easily summed up like this who wouldn't trade their car for Tom's.
And what I think Bluetoy is getting at, as well as others, is that at least with a 91-94 octane dependency you can drive most of the way across Canada without issues, provided you're put together and tuned properly.

Good luck buying C16 from Canadian Tire or PetroCanada.

To me, and I've been around racing in MANY forms in my life, a car/truck that depends on race-level octane in order to make its power daily is a special-purpose vehicle and nothing more. Unless you're lugging 200 gallons of C16 with you as you drive long-distance, it's not practical. Which means it's not practical to begin with. Pick another car as a daily driver.

Tom did say that he makes super power on 94 octane. I'd be shooting for a 91-based tune, but hey... at least 94 is available at some pumps in Ontario. 94 Octane does NOT a dyno queen make, but it does handicap you for gas station choices, and that's not a decision I'd like to have to make when running on vapours.

I think you need to step back a tad from your VTEC-fuelled world and understand that not everyone wants/can afford race gas for a daily driver, nor do they want the inconvenience of such. Just because a bunch of gearheads / riceboys on Honda Tech swear by C16-fuelled cars as daily drivers doesn't mean that they're all automatically excluded from the "dyno queen" definition.

Technically, my truck is a "dyno queen", because all the moving it has done in the last 6 months is up and down the driveway, and on to the back of a flatbed. Until it gets seasonal insurance, it's nothing more than a toy. The exact same, in other words, as vehicles dependent on exotic fuels in order to make it from point A to point B.

W3rd.
Tom what does your kit do on

a) 91 Octane
B) 94 Octane

Answer that and Im sure it will shut some members up.

:ph34r:

You guys sit here call Tom arrogant and whatever but he is the only one on the market with a proven street kit (Im talking Zetec).

I read a lot of his arguments on the net and never have I thought that he came across as arrogant, just really confident in his product, which he should be.

I have heard one TRUE horrow story when it came to Toms tuning, and it wasnt even related to his tuning, it was related to how the chip was installed by customer(or Tom was confused as to if their was a chip in their or not). I think that customer ended up with a new block from Tom anyways.

Tom deserves a lot of respect for what he's done with the focus community. He's finally here on our board, so let's use his knowledge and experience in a positive and contructive way.
B)
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 22 2004, 09:07 AM Wrote:And what I think Bluetoy is getting at, as well as others, is that at least with a 91-94 octane dependency you can drive most of the way across Canada without issues, provided you're put together and tuned properly.

Good luck buying C16 from Canadian Tire or PetroCanada.

To me, and I've been around racing in MANY forms in my life, a car/truck that depends on race-level octane in order to make its power daily is a special-purpose vehicle and nothing more. Unless you're lugging 200 gallons of C16 with you as you drive long-distance, it's not practical. Which means it's not practical to begin with. Pick another car as a daily driver.

Tom did say that he makes super power on 94 octane. I'd be shooting for a 91-based tune, but hey... at least 94 is available at some pumps in Ontario. 94 Octane does NOT a dyno queen make, but it does handicap you for gas station choices, and that's not a decision I'd like to have to make when running on vapours.

I think you need to step back a tad from your VTEC-fuelled world and understand that not everyone wants/can afford race gas for a daily driver, nor do they want the inconvenience of such. Just because a bunch of gearheads / riceboys on Honda Tech swear by C16-fuelled cars as daily drivers doesn't mean that they're all automatically excluded from the "dyno queen" definition.

Technically, my truck is a "dyno queen", because all the moving it has done in the last 6 months is up and down the driveway, and on to the back of a flatbed. Until it gets seasonal insurance, it's nothing more than a toy. The exact same, in other words, as vehicles dependent on exotic fuels in order to make it from point A to point B.

W3rd.
[right][snapback]75934[/snapback][/right]

Listen, I'm getting sick and tired of your comments about other cars other the Focus/Ford. There is life after/other then Ford, you don't like it, fine, but don't call someone who's car is worth more then your house, and it's all in the motor, a riceboy. Just because 90% of Civics out there are ghetto doesn't mean that all of them are. You have to come to realize one day that there are some SICK honda's out there.

Anyways.

The argument here is not Daily driver..it's DYNO QUEEN. If Tom makes 350whp on 110octane, but makes 280whp on 94 Octane and 240 on 91 Octane...he can still drive accross the country, change the program in the chip for 91 Octane, drive 2000miles to the track with 240whp, change it to 110 Octane program and fill it with 110 octane at the track and do his runs with 350whp and drive back home on 91 octane...

I still don't see how this is a Dyno queen. A Dyno Queen would not be able to RUN anywhere out of the shop let alone on different Octane Gas.

He even said he's filled up with 87 Octane to get back home before....how the hell is this a DYNO QUEEN?

How can anyone honestly argu against the above statements?

BTW, I think it's weird that I am defending Tom..lol
And, I'm getting sick and tired of you coming onto a Ford Focus forum and shooting members down. I don't care how many people you know here, or how many Foci you owned in the past.

You're touting facts from a forum that a lot of us could care less about. I stated gearhead / riceboy, so that implies both ends of the scale. Do you really think I care if someone is stupid enough to spend more on their car, especially an economy car like the Focus or Civic? I really don't. There are many better ways to spend your cash than on one single car... but enlightening you as to that sort of financial awareness will probably draw yet more childish comments.

I appreciate tuner vehicles from all backgrounds. A personal friend has a very sweet RSX that is tastefully done. Another has a very quick Talon. My point is that you don't need to be a Ford to be liked here, but it doesn't hurt to have one. However, your anti-Ford comments only mean you don't think much outside the box yourself.

But really, whatever. I'm done with you. My comments were directed to the "daily driver" tag you were sticking on a car fuelled by C16. It's impractical, and if you can't see that, well, there's nothing I can do to change that.

Merry Christmas everyone!
For some people, it's very feasible to drive on High Octane gas daily.

Daily driver is a car that will get you to where you want to go "DAILY" So going on a once a year cross country trip, is not in a "Daily drivers" definition. If I have a 5km drive in to work and that's what I do every day, maybe 100km a week of "Daily Driving" and I put in 2$ a liter gas..I'm using what, 20$ of gas assuming 10L/100km gas consumption (keep in mind we aren't racing, just driving to work)

This seems very feasable to me. Now of course if you live in North Bay, or Timmins this wouldn't work, but that's life. We can't expect people to "dumb it down" because of the less fortunate..that doesn't make sense at all.

Fact is Tom's car is NOT A DYNO QUEEN.

**EDIT** by "Dumb it down" I meant "Tune it down" or "adjust the numbers for the high octane deficient places"
I think Jay is being pretty honest:

There are other cars out there other than the Focus and for the most part they are better more reliable cars.

Jay also is not a big fan of Tom so when he is sticking up for him it isn't because it is a loyalty thing.

Jay has been there done it....more than most of us can say. If there is someone you should listen to....maybe just maybe it might be him.

Guess what guys for the most part the Focus is an unreliable POS...sorry but it is the truth. I had my car for two years and it saw the shop too many times for my liking.

Is Tom's a dyno queen.....no but everyone sees the numbers he throws up with high octane and thinks it is a hoax because we can not get it at the pumps. But to run that kind of horsepower without detonation you need it. He has the ability to tune the car for lesser octane...will it throw out the same numbers hell no but it is all about reliability....remember the pick two theory.
I said it in the other post and i try it differant here

I could leave here today (93)and drive to GA , Race (110) ,leave there drive to TX (93) Race (110) ,leave there drive to CA (93) Race (110) ,drive to NH(93) Race (110), then drive back home

I could do this with either my white car or the SVT

Like "J" said a dyno queen is something that makes big numbers on the dyno but you never see it doing anything at the track

Im out there year after year, My white car has over 500drag passes and about 650 miles Road tracks and MANY miles on the street

blue , any time you want to find out i will do this , drain out tanks , fill with the same fuel and go to any type track and i will still ware your jrsc out (no parking lot racing)

I have MANY kits out there doing STD pump gas and loving them , Never said it couldnt be done , never said i couldnt tune for 91/93 , I ME just dont want to use it because i like the BIG POWER that high octane affords me

Tom
And folks, how can we argue with that?

Dyno Queen...?? NO
Normally I don't get riled up about things like this, but I've seen enough. Just because we live in the north doesn't mean we're broke. If anything, our quality of life, all things considered, is quite a bit better. You can shove your "less fortunate" and "Now of course if you live in North Bay, or Timmins this wouldn't work, but that's life" comments up your ass. :angry:

I see discrimination is very much in your vocabulary.
1turbofocus,Dec 22 2004, 11:26 AM Wrote:I said it in the other post and i try it differant here

I could leave here today (93)and drive to GA , Race (110) ,leave there drive to TX (93) Race (110) ,leave there drive to CA (93) Race (110) ,drive to NH(93) Race (110), then drive back home

I could do this with either my white car or the SVT

Like "J" said a dyno queen is something that makes big numbers on the dyno but you never see it doing anything at the track

Im out there year after year, My white car has over 500drag passes and about 650 miles Road tracks and MANY miles on the street

blue , any time you want to find out i will do this , drain out tanks , fill with the same fuel and go to any type track and i will still ware your jrsc out (no parking lot racing)

I have MANY kits out there doing STD pump gas and loving them , Never said it couldnt be done , never said i couldnt tune for 91/93 , I ME just dont want to use it because i like the BIG POWER that high octane affords me

Tom
[right][snapback]75959[/snapback][/right]

Tom

I wasn't knocking the multi-fuel capabilities of any of your tunes, I was addressing the labelling of ultra-octane dependent vehicles as "daily drivers". Apparently in "Jay"'s world, we all have immediate access to race-gas for fill-ups.

Just so everyone knows, we have plenty of race gas here in North Bay as well... we just don't decide to make "daily drivers" dependent on it.
post #1 and post #9...are the only posts that i think are worth being on this thread, everything else seems stupid...
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 22 2004, 10:45 AM Wrote:Normally I don't get riled up about things like this, but I've seen enough. Just because we live in the north doesn't mean we're broke. If anything, our quality of life, all things considered, is quite a bit better. You can shove your "less fortunate" and "Now of course if you live in North Bay, or Timmins this wouldn't work, but that's life" comments up your ass.  :angry:

I see discrimination is very much in your vocabulary.
[right][snapback]75974[/snapback][/right]

The Comments about it not working if you live in North Bay or Timmins or "Less Fortunate" was meant because of the fact that you cannot go to the pump and buy 110 Octane gas not because you can't afford it. Who's the tool?

You get it? I meant you are less fortunate to not have 110 Octane gas at the pump compared to people who can get it at the pump.

Ease up a little bit.

My Dad lives in North Bay and I lived in Timmins for 21 years...why would I be dissing the place or the quality of life or the economy there? :rolleyes:
Me and Jay are northern homies....or hicks whatever you want to call us. :lol:
WE probably have the same grandma! lol
Holy crap. Look what I miss when Im at work. LOL

I dont want to say to anything. I think what was said above finishes it all off and I dont want to start any more war.
My points were ignored, as always. Whatever.
no...you seem to be simply confusing a car DEPENDENT on high octane to run properly with cars that BENEFITS from high octane. Neither of those scenarios has anything to do with the term "dyno queen" anyway. Many people build a track-only car that can only run on race gas or that sucks ass on the street. So what? That's STILL not a "dyno queen".

Jay and Tom are right on here.

Dyno Queen = high #s on the dyno that don't play out accordingly in performance on the track/strip.

eg. 500whp Mustang running similar times to a 700whp Mustang...great...700whp is impressive...but it means virtually nothing other than to produce impressive #s on a dyno and demonstrate some engineering/tuning cleverness to squeeze out more power. That would be a dyno queen, IMHO.

The type of fuel used is pretty much irrelevant. All anyone should really do, for comparitive purposes, is post the fuel they used when they did their dyno run.
Marction,Dec 22 2004, 03:18 PM Wrote:The type of fuel used is pretty much irrelevant.  All anyone should really do, for comparitive purposes, is post the fuel they used when they did their dyno run.
[right][snapback]76016[/snapback][/right]

Thats what I wanna see.
Pages: 1 2