FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need A Quick Lesson On Skateboard Tech
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So my 10 year old got a skateboard for Christmas and has really taken to it. The problem is that "Santa" got her a cheap one from Walmart and apparently it sucks.

I want to get her a new and much better one for her birthday but don't know the first thing about them.

Her instructor tells me hers is much too heavy (she only weighs 60 lbs) ... the trucks are crap and the wheels don't cut it ... but I also don't want to spend 250 bones at The Rail for a new one.

What are my best options for a high-quality, reasonably priced skateboard.

TIA - Ken.
honestly, the stuff doesnt come cheap, boards start at like $50, trucks are like $50 - 60, wheels are another $40 - 60.

For a beginner try to find an ATM or a Mini Logo Board, they are blank board which are and still build very well.

Royal trucks or Krux trucks are good for beginners and they are average in price.

You can get a good set of blank wheels and bearing fairly cheap, for bearing you only need abec 3 or 5. and some cheap hardware and you are golden.

If you have any questions Pm me, i used to be hardore into the skate scene and actually worked at a warehouse that the rail buys their product from.
i think west49 sells blank completes for $130
which the only difference is theres no graphics on anything
yeah, I was going to suggest West 49 as well. I'm sure they have a line for beginners there. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts, they get kid after kid coming in there with Dad in tow wanting to be the next Tony Hawk.
I used to be heavy intoskateboarding. Went into a couple competitions.
For me it would be Element deck, Independent trucks, Bones bearings, some very small wheels, DC or Emerica shoes.

And ofcourse for her get her complete safety gear if you haven't already. I've seen guys open their heads against the curb.

I haven't been in the scean since grade 11 though.

Skate or die dude!!
NikiterZTS,Apr 18 2009, 08:43 AM Wrote:I used to be heavy intoskateboarding. Went into a couple competitions.
For me it would be Element deck, Independent trucks, Bones bearings, some very small wheels, DC or Emerica shoes.

And ofcourse for her get her complete safety gear if you haven't already. I've seen guys open their heads against the curb.

I haven't been in the scean since grade 11 though. 

Skate or die dude!!
[right][snapback]285255[/snapback][/right]

Thanks Nik (and thanks Oldeguy for the PM) ... I'm totally pre-occupied with my kids' safety and the safety stuff is the first thing that gets taken care of - she's got the gloves, knee and shin pads, helmet of course and wrist guards, so I think she's covered.

Just need a decent board know and with the info you guys are giving I should be able to take care of that too ... thanks everyone for your input - helps me a lot.

Oldeguy - I tried sending you a PM back, but something's wierd with my PMs today - so you either got nothing from me or there's 3 PMs waiting for you. In any event, I very much appreciate what you wrote. Cheers - Ken.
West 49 does indeed have good deals. Just remind her that if she decides to get brave as she gets better, cars give no quarter on the roads eh?

I speak to that as a driver (skateboards do NOT belong on main arteries and heavy secondary roads, I don't really care what any of you say) and as an inline blader who tries to get a bit more exercise.

Skate parks, parking lots, cul-de-sacs, there's a world out there just waiting for them. :)