FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Had The Car In For An Oil Change Last Week.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have something similar wrong with my ZX3. I thought is was the valve cover leaking, only a couple of bolts were tight, and some were threaded right out, and oil was leaking onto the exhaust. I haven't fully checked it out yet.

Anyway when the head gasket went did anyone have the smell of burning oil coming thru the heater vents when the blower was on or when you get out of the car after it's been running for a while and the wind hits just so? My oil level doesn't go down enough to make any difference on the stick. But like I said I haven't fully checked it out yet. It's the smell thats making me think it may be more.

Thanks

DRyanC
DRyanC,Jan 5 2005, 10:58 AM Wrote:I have something similar wrong with my ZX3. I thought is was the valve cover leaking, only a couple of bolts were tight, and some were threaded right out, and oil was leaking onto the exhaust. I haven't fully checked it out yet.

Anyway when the head gasket went did anyone have the smell of burning oil coming thru the heater vents when the blower was on or when you get out of the car after it's been running for a while and the wind hits just so? My oil level doesn't go down enough to make any difference on the stick. But like I said I haven't fully checked it out yet. It's the smell thats making me think it may be more.

Thanks

DRyanC
[right][snapback]77472[/snapback][/right]

Mine is JUST starting to do this..... I'm going to have it looked at again at my next oil change. I'll be sure to give FORD ANOTHER PHONE CALL. ;)
haha, the headgasket was going on the red one when i traded it in.... i guess i got lucky ... that was at 83000km
Well, I've got 90K + on my car, and no probs with the engine...in terms of the head gasket, yeah, get Ford to change it. If they are going to do it, let them, if it's no cost/hassle to you. Personally, if the car was almost at the end of the powertrain warranty though, I'd let it be and instead get the cylinder head milled and ported, providing the pistons and piston rings can handle it...I had the engine rebuilt in my 1st car, and had the cylinder head ported and milled...the car was a LOT more powerfull after break in than it was stock, but the extra compression made the oil rings collapse and fail in one of the cylinders, rendering my car a paperweight that never went on the road again...ok, I got off topic there...lol! I'd have Ford do the head gasket...if you want some reassurance, take it to a Blue Oval certified dealer to do the work...they seem to have a higher standard of work than the regular dealerships...well, so I've noticed on my own experience...
My car is sitting in the driveway at about 82k so I guess it's right on time.

Piece of junk. :rolleyes:
Head gasket replacements at 50,000 miles? This is not a pleasant thread and does nothing to help me "feel the love" for the Focus.
I'm officially afraid. Does Ford Canada have any comment on the matter? Better yet, has anyone contacted them?
I have rarely seen headgasket leaks on focus'. In fact I havnt seen any on zetec motors. is your motor a spi?

I would seriously checking to see if its a rocker cover gasket if it is a zetec, because that is common on the zetec motors. remember, gravity makes the oil flow down, so check how high the leak goes, it may be seeping down the head, and it may look like a head gasket leak, but it may actually just be a rocker cover leak.

my advice is get it done soon. you dont want to wait, if there is going to be a problem, you want to have time for them to correct it, as opposed to getting it done when you are almost out of warranty...and then if there was a problem, you might not have time to get it fixed under warranty.

what shop checked it out?

I work at evans...I would tell you to bring it to me, but I am swamped with transmission work right now.
boost til'bust,Jan 15 2005, 06:0 Wrote:.......... I am swamped with transmission work right now.
[right][snapback]79027[/snapback][/right]

Theres another nightmare. Good thing I've been mentally and financially prepairing myself for that time bomb.
2001 ZTS,Jan 15 2005, 06:26 PM Wrote:Theres another nightmare. Good thing I've been mentally and financially prepairing myself for that time bomb.
[right][snapback]79031[/snapback][/right]

why not just ditch it then ?
If I ditch it I'd have to replace it. I've done a CBA.
2001 ZTS,Jan 17 2005, 01:55 AM Wrote:If I ditch it I'd have to replace it. I've done a CBA.
[right][snapback]79193[/snapback][/right]

my CBA said 'hold' also.. but then the ignition lock cylinder took a dump and the POS left me stranded in the cold.. my 'hold' went to 'strong sell' pretty damn quick after that

:lol:
I reckon another year of this bullshit and then I'm done. :(

Hello Subaru? ;)

I mean who ever heard of a 3 YEAR OLD CAR costing someone money on a regular basis?
ANTHONYD,Jan 17 2005, 10:43 AM Wrote:I reckon another year of this bullshit and then I'm done. :(

Hello Subaru? ;)

I mean who ever heard of a 3 YEAR OLD CAR costing someone money on a regular basis?
[right][snapback]79236[/snapback][/right]

Just thank god your car's don't have an old quad 4 or 2.2L chevy engine, then you will hate head gaskets after that :D
i remember back in 98/99 or so GM was having a HUGE problem with leaky head gaskets on the 2.3L? motor's that came in the cav's and sunfires .. plus a few other vehicles .. atleast they saw the problem and gave every owner free head gasket replacements till 100k

i think ford needs to step up as its starting to sound like a problem
Pages: 1 2