FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Projector Headlights?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

I am the newbie buying that 2001 Focus LX. Anywho, I think I may want to be the first in my area to put projector headlights on my focus. No one else in this town has done anything to a Focus yet so I figured I would be the first. I was wondering...those projectors that I see a few members have on their cars...do they throw alot of light or are they strictly for off road/show use?
MACH HID lights are like all HID lights.. great light.. well worth the price
My projectors are bright after I aligned them lol. I much rather have the HID e-code ones though.
Where would you recomend me getting a pair?
It really depends on the headlights you get.

You can get the projector-"style" (they're actually halogen reflectors) on ebay for cheap, or you can get the real-deal projector headlights that Hella makes.. You have a lot of options for headlights though, make sure you check them out before you commit to buying anything.

The 2002-04 european headlights are superior in lighting to the stock ones, include a built in signal light and the fit and finish is OEM Ford of Europe quality.. available in chrome, and dark gray (ST170) housings.

You can get dual round projector headlights from Hella or Morette (they also come in a triple round version which includes signal lights). The Hella projectors are also available with HID lowbeams.

And of course the OEM Ford HID headlights which came on the Mach audio edition sedans and the newer US SVTs are great headlights.

I think if you want superior lighting you should go with a good brand of lights, like the Hella projectors or the european headlights, and stay away from the cheap ebay or APC deals. As for where to get them, bosseuroparts.com has a variety of headlights listed on their website so check it out.
I'm quite happy with my projectors... but you have to aim the lowbeams right, or you'll never see a thing...the cutoff is super sharp.

But the highbeams.. on a straight enough stretch of highway, on a clear day will get nearly 2 km worth of visibility (well.. 2km worth of eyeshine and reflective roadsigns anyways)
I got my e-code Hella projectors from Voytek at http://www.bosseuroparts.com not sure what his status is but check with Mitch.

I have heard good and bad with the APC and ebay ones. Its pretty much 50/50. How ever with the Hella your guaranteed the quality.

LOL I remember when I got my headlights I didnt know how to install them becuase the dam manual was in German LOL
thabrat,Dec 14 2004, 03:30 AM Wrote:I got my e-code Hella projectors from Voytek at http://www.bosseuroparts.com not sure what his status is but check with Mitch.

I have heard good and bad with the APC and ebay ones. Its pretty much 50/50. How ever with the Hella your guaranteed the quality.

LOL I remember when I got my headlights I didnt know how to install them becuase the dam manual was in German LOL
[right][snapback]74410[/snapback][/right]

same for us with the hella fogs

01-yellow-ZX3

thabrat,Dec 13 2004, 09:30 PM Wrote:I got my e-code Hella projectors from Voytek at http://www.bosseuroparts.com not sure what his status is but check with Mitch.

[right][snapback]74410[/snapback][/right]

Can I ask what those were worth Jason?
01-yellow-ZX3,Dec 13 2004 Wrote:Can I ask what those were worth Jason?
[right][snapback]74423[/snapback][/right]

All the prices are advertised on bosseuroparts.com. I think Voytek is supposed to be back in Canada in January or something.. There's a note on the main page about deals on Hella products so it might be worthwhile to shoot him an email if you're interested.
Anyone can get in the north american Hella projectors.. have a chat with Anthony at PI or your ford dealership (where I got mine).

warning: ford dealership makes it very 'expensive (I kick myself)

[edit]..I'm assuming you're not in Toronto, so maybe PI can't help you out.. but most any shop should... they're easy enough to come by[/edit]
Love my Hella's. They are crazy bright with the highbeams on. Most of my driving is highway and country driving so they are put to VERY good use.
yes we can ship out of province.

We sell the Hella dual headlights [projector low beam] for $799 plus applicable taxes.

PS- Steve.....i'm starting to draw cartoons on the dust collecting on the box for your pillar pod lol
Focused,Dec 14 2004, 04:14 PM Wrote:PS- Steve.....i'm starting to draw cartoons on the dust collecting on the box for your pillar pod lol
[right][snapback]74481[/snapback][/right]

cool.. at least I know you guys are holding on to it for me :P

I should be able to pick it up sometime this week..
Focused,Dec 14 2004, 12:14 PM Wrote:yes we can ship out of province.

We sell the Hella dual headlights [projector low beam] for $799 plus applicable taxes.

PS- Steve.....i'm starting to draw cartoons on the dust collecting on the box for your pillar pod lol
[right][snapback]74481[/snapback][/right]

Actually he lives in North Bay, same place I do. That's a lot of scratch, but they seem worth it.

And very... VERY tempting.
I have the Hella's Painted to body colour on my Foci (See Pictures) and I like them over the stockers, but two down sides to them is snow builds up in them rather easy till you stop and they warm up at a red light, and the fact Everyone on the roads flash you to tell you your high beams are on.............. but their Stupid. :P

Anyways they look great painted to body colour, and cool like in this photo (#3), Most of the kits out there more or less can be painted, or left alone in that black plastic that they come in. When you do change over I'd recommend putting the driving lights on the inside rather then on the outside, they look really cool at night with the Xenon Gas bulbs I have in there with the Fog lights on. :D

On a personal note though, make sure you have them profesionally installed. I had spent over $700 to replace my wiring harnes for the headlights, back in feb due to them getting fried from use. It resulted when the prevous owner installed them himself.<_<

[Image: My_New_Focus_Sedan.jpg]

[Image: Front.jpg]

Picture #3
Frost__2001,Dec 14 2004, 03:55 PM Wrote:On a personal note though, make sure you have them profesionally installed. I had spent over $700 to replace my wiring harnes for the headlights, back in feb due to them getting fried from use. It resulted when the prevous owner installed them himself.<_<

This is one of the easiest DIY installs there is. <_<

Previous owner didnt know what they were doing then. I installed mine myself and I've had ZERO problems for the past 4 years with them on. B)
if people are flashing you their highbeams, you have a seroius misalignment, or your highbeems are on!

the cutoff is so sharp on the projectors, you should see against the wall, the flat top of the beam patterns..it should look something like this:

Code:

_____,------'

and because both lights use H9 bulbs, it's easy to accidentally plug the highbeem harness into the lowbeam, and vice versa, resulting in your highbeams being on all the time. (the tuner transformation guys did that).

just might want to doublecheck your alignment and which lamps are firing... the lowbeams are adequately bright, but they are no where near able to blind other motorists (they're more focused than most new car HIDs).
darkpuppet,Dec 14 2004, 04:10 PM Wrote:(they're more focused than most new car HIDs).
[right][snapback]74559[/snapback][/right]

And that's why they're perfectly suited for the Focus. :P
ok I think I will get that mod as my first mod then.

Thanks for all the input