FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Newbie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey whats up?
im new to the site and to focus ownership. i picked up fully loaded 2002 zx5. i live just south of windsor ontario (anyone around?). im trying to figure out where to start the modification process on my zx5 and im looking for some suggestions. i know winter isnt the best time to be modding so im not sure what to do now and what to hold off on. im thinking about going with an intake and some sort of suspension drop. im not sure whats best suspension wise and was looking for suggestion on the best type. the only problem is money, i have limited supply with paying for the car and going to school. so im looking for the more economical options.
thanks
and great site btw
WELL COME aboard and to the board.....
about your modding...wait till spring..!!

welcome again!
welcome to the site man.. :D
ZX5focused,Dec 12 2004, 11:27 PM Wrote:Hey whats up?
im new to the site and to focus ownership.  i picked up fully loaded 2002 zx5.  i live just south of windsor ontario (anyone around?).  im trying to figure out where to start the modification process on my zx5 and im looking for some suggestions.  i know winter isnt the best time to be modding so im not sure what to do now and what to hold off on.  im thinking about going with an intake and some sort of suspension drop.  im not sure whats best suspension wise and was looking for suggestion on the best type.  the only problem is money, i have limited supply with paying for the car and going to school.  so im looking for the more economical options.
thanks
and great site btw
[right][snapback]74130[/snapback][/right]

Intake? AEM is nice. I got one, 2 years no problems, some guys swear by volant, but that is a little pricey.

Suspension? Eibach pro kit gives you a 1.5 drop, sportlines give you 2.25. The shocks and dampers will blow on the sportlines before long, you might wanna do it all at once.
you should go for an MBRP Exhaust, I'm selling mine. contact me via PM if interested.
paolo u have a pm
I have an auto, but I'm always hearing the guys with manual transmissions raving about short-throw shifters. Might be a good investment. Also, upgraded spark plug wires would be an idea, maybe some suspension upgrades as well.

Also, an upgraded throttle body is a must if you want to go down the "more power" road.
http://www.zx3tuning.com

There should be a price list on there of many parts. If you dont see something there ask Mitch aka ZX3tuning.

#1 Tip I can give you. Dont buy anything from Ebay.
Hey Man, Welcome to the Board! There are a lot of great people from the community from all over Canada! :D
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 13 2004, 10:03 AM Wrote:I have an auto, but I'm always hearing the guys with manual transmissions raving about short-throw shifters. Might be a good investment. Also, upgraded spark plug wires would be an idea, maybe some suspension upgrades as well.

Also, an upgraded throttle body is a must if you want to go down the "more power" road.
[right][snapback]74235[/snapback][/right]

Good call on the shifter... it's so sweet. Common first upgrades are intake, headers, exhaust, throttle body, chip/tune, springs, tires/wheels etc...

Welcome aboard... from London.
tires

and go autoX
naz,Dec 13 2004, 03:19 PM Wrote:tires

and go autoX
[right][snapback]74301[/snapback][/right]

HERE HERE! Now that's what I'm talkin' bout :ph34r:
naz,Dec 13 2004, 02:19 PM Wrote:tires

and go autoX

AutoX will be fun, once i get a decent suspension set up and a little more power. problem is im a student whos working weekends to pay for the car so mods are gonna be few and far between til the spring.
ZX5focused,Dec 13 2004, 05:27 PM Wrote:
naz,Dec 13 2004, 02:19 PM Wrote:tires

and go autoX

AutoX will be fun, once i get a decent suspension set up and a little more power. problem is im a student whos working weekends to pay for the car so mods are gonna be few and far between til the spring.
[right][snapback]74343[/snapback][/right]

IMHO, you don't need anything to autoX... in fact you'd become a better driver by running a 'lesser modified' car if you are an amateur... learn car control first then progress thru mods to understand and relate to the differences.

One thing... tires become a normal consumeable expense like oil and fuel :P :D
Welcome to the site.
First few mods id go with are:
Tires and 16+inch rims
CAI (AEM is really good and decently priced)
For suspension most ppl just do springs but i think its worth the extra money to do it all dampers and shocks too.. I got the H&R Cup Kit and its amazing...i know a few guys have gone threw a few sets of springs and spent more then i have for just 1 Cup kit.
Exhaust is good too; i like Magnaflow for the price and quality.
Chip
short throw

That should get you started but wait till spring save up the money. And do Auto X sooooo much fun!!!
any autoX in or near windsor, i know its winter now, but does anyone organize around here?
ZX5focused,Dec 13 2004, 09:27 PM Wrote:AutoX will be fun, once i get a decent suspension set up and a little more power.  problem is im a student whos working weekends to pay for the car so mods are gonna be few and far between til the spring.
[right][snapback]74343[/snapback][/right]

that's not true, you don't need $$ into the suspension or more power to have fun and learn. besides, no matter what we do to our cars we still get schooled by some old guy in an old stock car with way less power

ultimate proof that you don't need a nice car to autoX.. i ran my $300 beater.. a 1990 fox GL (2200lb) with a motor from a 'fox sport' (100hp), 4spd with stupid long gearing, no name brand dampers, no name brand all season tires, OEM compound brake pads.. i got a better raw time than a 2gen integra with Rcomps, a MX3 V6, and a lowered civic or two. and i suck.

a good driver in a stock focus can be really competitive in the stock class
Guys how come you never mentioned the tornado.

Simply put this thing is awesome and cost effective you will notice a power increase immediately. Hell even just owning it will result in a power increase.

Also while you are here I can interest you in a flo-bee? Easy and cheap home hair cuts.
Don't listen to papa. He's our No. 1 Fuktard.
meford4u,Dec 16 2004, 09:41 PM Wrote:Don't listen to papa.  He's our No. 1 Fuktard.
[right][snapback]74972[/snapback][/right]

Fuktard that hurts buddy.....I always thought of you as the Captain and I was Gilligan...but oh well :(
Pages: 1 2