FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Winter Wheels...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
anyone know if these are any good....i read the reviews and all but i stil am looking for more opinions since i cant really afford the awesome winter wheels....my car doesnt have abs and hte stock tires are pooped out. im getting stuck in slush..... :blink:
winterforce m+s
PDW,Dec 12 2004, 05:57 PM Wrote:anyone know if these are any good....i read the reviews and all but i stil am looking for more opinions since i cant really afford the awesome winter wheels....my car doesnt have abs and hte stock tires are pooped out. im getting stuck in slush..... :blink:
winterforce m+s
[right][snapback]74090[/snapback][/right]

just go to walmart and get the Dunlop winter tires, they are like 79.99 plus tax. these prices you have are US so by the time u get them here it will be more.
if price is an issue get steelies and hit up canadian tire or something similar for winter tires.. i'm pretty sure that the 'house brand' tires are rebadged 'older design' tires from name brand manufacturers.. they'd still be way better in the snow than a set of all seasons
will i need all four tires or just front ones...im new to cars, im used to 4wd trucks...sorry for the dumb questions
PDW,Dec 14 2004, 10:45 PM Wrote:will i need all four tires or just front ones...im new to cars, im used to 4wd trucks...sorry for the dumb questions
[right][snapback]74631[/snapback][/right]

I'd go with all four, but some people do go with the 2allseason + 2winter combo.

Now which end you put them on is for another debate :lol:
i think most definitely all four.

if you decide to only go with two, i side with the ppl who say put the two snow tires on the rear wheels, even if its a fwd vehicle.
you must go with four winter tires. if you only put them on the back, you'll get stuck in the snow :o . if you only put them on the front, the back end will come around you in a corner and kiss your ass into another car or ditch, curb, sled, gaurdrail....
umm... you have to factor in the way you drive in winter when thinking of going all seasons, or with winter or both.

I never buy winter tires mainly because I can handle the car in any situation where a skid might occure. I went with all seasons with Cooper tires from a local tire dicounter 2 years ago on the last focus ( cheaper then Wal-mart ) and they gripped extremely well for all season tires, not to mention you could feel the meatyness of the tires into the next winter season.

I know Winter tires tend to be the best for this season, but you should really factor into where you live, your driving style, and how often are you in areas that get really bad snow storms / drifts in the winter ?
Pfft... I have yet to be unable to lead myself around North Bay at "safe for the snowy conditions" speeds in the AS Goodyear Integrity tires.

I'll have to take a digicam pic of what we have currently. Not slamming members, but snow tires are like 4X4 and AWD... a security blanket 9 times out of 10. If nothing else, they inspire un-needed courage at exactly the wrong time.
Posturing.

I'm curious why doing every mod possible to make a car go faster, turn sharper and stop better in summer is "cool" and acceptable yet to do the same in winter is not?

Whether or not it "goes to the head" (4x4 syndrome) of the driver is up to the driver however. IT IS A FACT that in snow, slush ice or just on dry cold pavement a car with winter tires will start, stop and turn better. It has been proved countless times.

Sure anyone can "get by" all year anyplace in the world on all seasons, I did for about 20 years myself, but why not do better than get by, accept more than merely OK or be happy with adequate to good performance? Why not go for great? Isn't that the point of modding cars?

Don't forget that a LX has 185mm tires as oppossed to 205's, that itself makes a huge difference.
It's not the fact that snow tires give you false confidence (4x4 syndrome) to drive faster that I have my snows on now. The main reason is that snow tires will stop faster than all seasons or summer tires on snow or ice. Why would I want to be in a car that will stop in twice the distance and risk rear ending someone and have my insurance go up? It does not matter how good you are at skid avoidance or controlling a slide, it is still going to take longer to stop without snow tires.
more traction = good

holds true at any time.. anywhere.. except for people trying power oversteer in a weak rwd car haha

with that line of thinking we all shouldn't get sticker tires or suspension mods because we are more likely to go harder around corners, lose it and stuff our cars into lamp posts

PDW,Dec 14 2004, 08:45 PM Wrote:will i need all four tires or just front ones...im new to cars, im used to 4wd trucks...sorry for the dumb questions
[right][snapback]74631[/snapback][/right]

Most of the big tire shops will not install just two snow tires anymore. You have to have them on all corners or take your vehicle somewheres else. It just makes sense when ya think about it.

I have can tire nordic icetrac on the zx3 and mich x-ice on the svt and they both work good.