FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I Am Now Focused!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I went into Stockfish Ford today and talked to them about the 2001 Focus LX. We wheeled and dealed and I managed to get it for 6885.80 after tax with a 3 year/60,000 Ford complete Care warranty. Well on wednesday next week I will be taking the focus out for a rip to see if I like it...if all goes good then I am buyin the car.

I won't beable to take ownership of the Focus until next saturday as they want to do a 181 point inspection, clean it up and probably spray it with that new car smell stuff.

Once I get it I will snap some pics of it and post them on the picture forum. I know the SPI is not a performer...but that MPG in car and driver is givin me a serious chub...remember I drive a Ford Tempo with an auto 3spd tranny and at 100kmph I am sitting at 3500rpm...so the 33mpg in town and 40mpg highway will be a welcomed change to my 14mpg town, 9mpg highway...
Yup, the SPI averages in the low 40s on a good highway @ 100 KM/H.

Welcome to the fun-to-drive-yet-saving-gas club :)

You working tomorrow? Drop by the LAN that's like, 1 block from your house and chat for a few. I'll be there around 11 in the morning setting up, and we'll be at it till... prolly 2AM again.

Oh, and guess who's taking Oscar to Stockfish to bargain on the 2001 SE SPI they have on site? :D
think about a toyota echo? better on gas and faster and more reliable
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 11 2004, 01:16 AM Wrote:Yup, the SPI averages in the low 40s on a good highway @ 100 KM/H.

Welcome to the fun-to-drive-yet-saving-gas club :)

You working tomorrow? Drop by the LAN that's like, 1 block from your house and chat for a few. I'll be there around 11 in the morning setting up, and we'll be at it till... prolly 2AM again.

Oh, and guess who's taking Oscar to Stockfish to bargain on the 2001 SE SPI they have on site? :D
[right][snapback]73986[/snapback][/right]

Awesome stuff. I checked Ford Stockfish's site and the only SE's they have that are 2001 are Automatics. I take it that is what he wants? Yeah I have tomorrow off but I am taking the little lady to my companies xmas party. Should be a pimpin good time

naz,Dec 11 2004, 01:32 AM Wrote:think about a toyota echo?  better on gas and faster and more reliable
[right][snapback]73992[/snapback][/right]

Sorry bro...I am not a fan of imports. Echo might be better on gas but the cars are still stupid expensive and not worth the price. ... oh and they are fizuckin ugly
Well I took the car out for a test drive today. Man its been a while since I have driven 5spd, I didn't realize the 1rst gear launched so hard LOL. Yeah I spun the tires out of the ford parking lot. Man for a 110hp engine it sure has alot of power in the low gears.

So I am taking the car, with my xmas bonus and backpay I am planning on buying the car outright with cash. I take possesion of it next tuesday. They want to clean up the car, wash the underbody and give it an undercoating and a 181 point inspection, fill it with gas and get me some new plates.

I also bought my Stereo adapter Din plate today. $15 for the plate however they didn't know what cheater wire to give me. Can anyone give me a part number?
I'm going to Stereo Plus this week about just that, prolly tomorrow after work. I'll let you know! Electronic Playground ought to know as well, there are enough modded ZX3s/5s in this town!
GET A ZETEC! :s

I dunno, such a better platform if you want to mod. I do understand it's more $$.

Bah, nevermind, i'll whip you either way in the Echo hatch. lol
I just had an Echo sedan on rental (Arranged by the dealer, paid by the dealer! Stockfish rocks!) while I found out my vibration in reverse was severe ice buildup on the rear tranny mounts. 27 bucks later, I'm back in business. Did I mention Stockfish wins once again? 27 bucks for my peace of mind... I can handle that. But I digress...

The Echoes are bloody International Harvester tractors in disguise! The motor's boomier than the SPI, has less balls, and no willingness to rev above 4000 RPM. No wonder it's a rental vehicle... no-one buys them! :D :lol:

Handling.... drunken cow comes to mind. They're also quite shitty in the snow, and the Echo had new tires, same as the Focus. The intermittent wipers have ONE speed... annoying. The seat has no height adjustment, the gauge cluster was put in by a drunken refugee, and they actually have a dash light for COLD coolant? Are we to be led to believe that all Echo drivers don't understand that a cold engine = no heat first thing in the morning? :lol:

The car's actually quite funny. I got smoked by a Chevy Astro minivan on the highway from a rolling start, and badly. No guts at all. I've decimated an 89 Prelude stickshift with the SPI, and you could HEAR he was on it... maybe just out of tune, but whatever. I won, and that's the point. I've slapped countless different vehicles of every creed with the SPI, and that's just downright impressive.

The brakes are the only redeeming point on the Echo... but they're so effective they're actually scary in the snow, especially on a snow-packed highway. I took the rental to our office on the edge of town today... and I was glad to be back down the hill after that. It's just TOO twitchy in the fluffy white stuff. The steering is massively overboosted for a car that size... it feels like a Kenworth in action while having the dimensions of Mr. Bean's winter beater. No parity there whatsoever.

Not that I kept track today while driving :D :lol:
What did you drive? a 4 door sedan automatic? BAHAHAHAAH

Anyways, the point was if you plan on modding the car the Zetec is for sure the best option. You can't deny that fact. If you just want a Focus, do a couple things to it and that's it then the SPI can be good for that.
I wholeheartedly agree with the Zetec comment. But seriously, the fiancee was out for a ride in the rental, and she was like "EWWWW! This is a gross car!" :D :lol:

"If you ever buy one of these, that's it for you!" :lol: :lol:
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 17 2004, 09:35 AM Wrote:I wholeheartedly agree with the Zetec comment. But seriously, the fiancee was out for a ride in the rental, and she was like "EWWWW! This is a gross car!" :D :lol:

"If you ever buy one of these, that's it for you!" :lol: :lol:
[right][snapback]75051[/snapback][/right]

Right. You're from Northbay, I can see how you are sheltered.

IMHO, this looks 1000000 times better then a 4door focus sedan.

[Image: testnight3%20006.jpg]

And my Focus had more power then yours..NA NA NANA NA

[Image: 8and9psi.jpg]

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I will fire back for you Adam:

My car didn't catch on fire....Nanananana

Sorry Jay...I had to.
Paparoach,Dec 17 2004, 10:41 AM Wrote:I will fire back for you Adam:

My car didn't catch on fire....Nanananana

Sorry Jay...I had to.
[right][snapback]75061[/snapback][/right]

You didn't drive it long enough...then your wife took it from you! :o

OUCH

And I think we are a "little" off topic.
1.800.565.FORD

Write it down...
you'll need it.

Congrats.
I find it funny that on a focus board that people don't seem happy with the fact that I bought a focus?

I don't plan on doing much to the engine, I just need a car that is good on gas to get me around town. The TransAm is a summer car and its rough on gas cuz of the modded V8. This SPI Focus should get great gas milleage and should do the job...I just need to learn how to drive thats all.

Toyota Echo is just an ugly platform and the echo hatchback screams "clown car".
That's an expected response from people who are sheltered from the real world. :blink:

I should know, I thought like that too back in the day when I lived in Timmins.

It's all about what people like, I love the japanese small hatch backs.

The spi will be a good grocery getter for you.

I still don't understand how you think the Sedan Focus is nice though. :unsure: But Marction likes it too for some reason. :unsure:

:P
ThraxXx,Dec 17 2004, 02:35 PM Wrote:I find it funny that on a focus board that people don't seem happy with the fact that I bought a focus?

I don't plan on doing much to the engine, I just need a car that is good on gas to get me around town.  The TransAm is a summer car and its rough on gas cuz of the modded V8.  This SPI Focus should get great gas milleage and should do the job...I just need to learn how to drive thats all. 

Toyota Echo is just an ugly platform and the echo hatchback screams "clown car".
[right][snapback]75092[/snapback][/right]

Its cuz these guys are all ex-focus owners.

Congrats on the car. I know the SPI is a great little car for gas mielage, but if your seriously going to do ANY mods, get the Zetec, better bang for buck IMHO. Get some nice exhaust/Intake/Cam work, get a custom tune by SCT or Diablo and have a great 140WHP/Great handling/great mielage car. Easy engine to work with and if its new (+ 03), I will go as far as saying reliable.

B)

EDIT: Didnt read the whole thread. <_<
the guy is saying he wanted a reliable DD... reliable = toyota hands down

if you don't like the echo get a corolla or camry that's a couple of model years older..or get a civic or a SR powered sentra.. so many more cars that are better DDs

and an echo is as fast as a 16v focus.. an echo is slow ..yep.. just like the focus
Flofocus,Dec 17 2004, 07:04 PM Wrote:
ThraxXx,Dec 17 2004, 02:35 PM Wrote:I find it funny that on a focus board that people don't seem happy with the fact that I bought a focus?

[right][snapback]75092[/snapback][/right]

Its cuz these guys are all ex-focus owners.

[right][snapback]75096[/snapback][/right]

Then there are those of us who currently own, try to be happy but continuously get bombarded with disappointment and maintence. Truth be told the only reason I sought out a Focus board was because I had problems with the car itself, Ford dealers (many) and Ford coporate especially customer (dis)service.

I suppose for <$7000 you can't really go wrong but there is a reason why they are priced like that.
Well the reason this car is priced like that is because it has 99,000 kms on it. Previous owner drove it 60kms every day to work and home (he lived in sturgeon falls and drove to north bay). Also, all domestics have shitty re-sale value. Imports don't suffer that problem however I have never been a fan of imports hence why I am looking into the focus. I could care less about speed cuz like I said..I have my V8 TransAm to take care of that dilemma...just can't drive that thing in the winter cuz it can't hookup worth a crap on this terain.
Pages: 1 2