FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: When Does That New Cell Phone Law Take Effect?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am REALLY getting tired of stupid people.
the cellphone law is just as useless as the transport truck speed limiters.

Go to NFLD -- it's illegal to talk on the celly while driving, and they have plenty of billboards reminding people too... but they still all drive around, talking on their cellphones.

And even here in Ontario, we have mandatory speed limiters on transports -- so someone want to tell me why there was one doing 120kph on the 401 last Saturday?
darkpuppet,Apr 17 2009, 09:13 AM Wrote:And even here in Ontario, we have mandatory speed limiters on transports -- so someone want to tell me why there was one doing 120kph on the 401 last Saturday?
[right][snapback]285195[/snapback][/right]

....He must of Xcal flashed it!!
love my pionneernav system. Walk into the car, blue tooth auto connects, no need to fiddle with a phone while driving!
yeah i hear ya i hate cell phone drivers :angry:

they get a lovely down shift from me everytime lol
darkpuppet,Apr 17 2009, 09:13 AM Wrote:the cellphone law is just as useless as the transport truck speed limiters.

Go to NFLD -- it's illegal to talk on the celly while driving, and they have plenty of billboards reminding people too... but they still all drive around, talking on their cellphones.

And even here in Ontario, we have mandatory speed limiters on transports -- so someone want to tell me why there was one doing 120kph on the 401 last Saturday?

Ontario plates? Report it. Out of province plates? SOL, which is why the nanny law fails.

As to hands free, Ford SYNC FTMFW baby! :lol:

NefCanuck
f*** I hate that cellphone law. Some of us are able to prioritize while driving, you know! I'll always tell someone to hang or, or that I'll call them back if traffic and conditions get bad. I always mirror-check while driving and talking.

To those of us with actual skill, talking on a cell phone is like actually having a conversation with someone in the car. We can all talk to people in the car while driving, so what's the diff?

Yet again, those of us with ability take it up the pooper for those who shouldn't have licenses in the first place. Instead of removing the blight of under- and un-educated drivers off our roads (and thus saving us all some money, all but the government I guess), they'll just legislate us into oblivion.

Driver safety through mandatory education? Nah, they aren't getting a cut of that.

Driver "safety" via yet another enforceable monetary measure disguised as a law? Sure, they're all over that!

Wanna know something else funny? Ever since they showed that our budget here in town is a little soft, the cops are suddenly doing radar more often. I wonder why that is?

At least for now, you've got to be doing more than 8 over in a 50 for them to nab you. I thought he had me dead to rights, but I guess I wasn't a big enough fish.

Guaranteed as soon as they make their quota for the next month or two, they're going to be conspicuously absent once again. :angry:
darkpuppet,Apr 17 2009, 06:13 AM Wrote:the cellphone law is just as useless as the transport truck speed limiters.

They are in the porcess of putting on the limiters I believe they have till June till it turns into a ticket as for for the cell phone law im not sure when it takes effect but i already got my handsfree car device ready
The phone law must be in affect because a guy at my work said his brother got a $500 charge for talking on the phone in T.O.
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 19 2009, 09:18 AM Wrote:f*** I hate that cellphone law. Some of us are able to prioritize while driving, you know! I'll always tell someone to hang or, or that I'll call them back if traffic and conditions get bad. I always mirror-check while driving and talking.

To those of us with actual skill, talking on a cell phone is like actually having a conversation with someone in the car. We can all talk to people in the car while driving, so what's the diff?

Yet again, those of us with ability take it up the pooper for those who shouldn't have licenses in the first place. Instead of removing the blight of under- and un-educated drivers off our roads (and thus saving us all some money, all but the government I guess), they'll just legislate us into oblivion.

Driver safety through mandatory education? Nah, they aren't getting a cut of that.

Driver "safety" via yet another enforceable monetary measure disguised as a law? Sure, they're all over that!

Wanna know something else funny? Ever since they showed that our budget here in town is a little soft, the cops are suddenly doing radar more often. I wonder why that is?

At least for now, you've got to be doing more than 8 over in a 50 for them to nab you. I thought he had me dead to rights, but I guess I wasn't a big enough fish.

Guaranteed as soon as they make their quota for the next month or two, they're going to be conspicuously absent once again. :angry:
[right][snapback]285325[/snapback][/right]

Sorry I can too drive and talk on the phone but I still support this law. :unsure:
Get an ear peice, put your phone on speaker, connect it to your GPS or get a head unit with Bluetooth. So many options.
exactly. Just to many hands free options out there.
My point is thus: long before bluetooth and other hands-free setups existed, we all LEARNED to drive correctly and PRIORITIZE our s***.

I've seen plenty of morons with BT headsets who have damn near caused multi-car accidents because they're NOT PAYING ATTENTION.

It doesn't matter how you're incapable of being a multi-tasking driver - you're still incapable. All the bluetooth in the world won't save you.

I can't wait for the ream of accidents where buddy was on his BT-enabled phone and wrecks horribly... and then it's repeated again and again, ad nauseam. My only regret is for the innocents killed because of DRIVER INCOMPETENCE.

Jeez, when will some of you get that? Driver incompetence causes more "accidents", regardless of how they're classed, than anything else. Running a red? INCOMPETENCE. Jumping a median cause you're not paying attention / don't care? INCOMPETENCE. Distracted by talking on the phone with or without BT? INCOMPETENCE.

The reason I'm sticking to my guns? We were assessed by a driving school here at work for company insurance reasons. I was at the top of the "class", for rules of the road, ability in panic stops in dry, wet and snow/ice-covered conditions as well as... you guessed it, multi-tasking. Holding a convo while driving, counting numbers while holding a convo and driving, etc... it's all about prioritizing what's going on around you and adapting to what new factor requires your attention. The best comparison is "Situation Awareness", as military talking heads refer to it.

When I'm on the cell as I'm driving, and you better believe I am, I treat the phone as another passenger. I talk as tho the person on the other end is in the car. If things happen, they get told to "hang on a sec" or just flat out ignored as I deal with s***. Know what? Sometimes the phone gets put down or hung up! Imagine that! It's called being responsible! That's something that I'll wager the vast majority of sheeple know nothing about! They treat driving as a right and not a privilege!

I'm not trying to brag, but in this case I definitely feel I know what I'm talking about. This cellphone bill is a bandaid till more people start dying because of more incompetent behaviour. Then phones will be banned altogether.

I'm sick and tired of good drivers suffering because of the bad. Yet, that's Canadian society for you all over again - adapting the good to suffer the bad, instead of dealing with the bad. :angry:

Bluetooth is great, but it's not the panacea that everyone seems to think it is. Time will tell.
Adam needs a beer. :lol:
^^ Budweiser please, Nate :)

You know that wasn't directed at you personally, eh?

EDIT - I DO use speakerphone if both hands are required due to speed / road conditions / weather / traffic. I also pipe the phone into the audio system on long trips via the aux jack as well. Hands-free is useful, but for a 2-sec call? Cmon now.
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 21 2009, 08:17 AM Wrote:The reason I'm sticking to my guns? We were assessed by a driving school here at work for company insurance reasons. I was at the top of the "class", for rules of the road, ability in panic stops in dry, wet and snow/ice-covered conditions as well as... you guessed it, multi-tasking. Holding a convo while driving, counting numbers while holding a convo and driving, etc... it's all about prioritizing what's going on around you and adapting to what new factor requires your attention. The best comparison is "Situation Awareness", as military talking heads refer to it.

[right][snapback]285490[/snapback][/right]

Jesus, with skillZ like that I really wanna see what you can do at the track then.
:unsure:

And yea I understand about the 2sec call.
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 21 2009, 09:23 AM Wrote:You know that wasn't directed at you personally, eh?

[right][snapback]285494[/snapback][/right]

Of course I know, I answer the phone at the track Im so skilled. B) :lol:
The ONLY time I violated this and was an absolute idiot now that that I think of it was the cruise up to Algonquin 2 years ago. I had the tunes blasting, the windows open, doing a 120 down the 400 texting NIK our location as he was playing "catch up" in moms Taurus wagon. WOW.

I should have wrecked a few times that trip.
ANTHONYD,Apr 21 2009, 09:08 AM Wrote:The ONLY time I violated this and was an absolute idiot now that that I think of it was the cruise up to Algonquin 2 years ago. I had the tunes blasting, the windows open, doing a 120 down the 400 texting NIK our location as he was playing "catch up" in moms Taurus wagon. WOW.

I should have wrecked a few times that trip.
[right][snapback]285506[/snapback][/right]

lol good times-good times

That wagon is on the junk yard now............famous Taurus trannys :ph34r:
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 21 2009, 08:17 AM Wrote:My point is thus: long before bluetooth and other hands-free setups existed, we all LEARNED to drive correctly and PRIORITIZE our s***.

I've seen plenty of morons with BT headsets who have damn near caused multi-car accidents because they're NOT PAYING ATTENTION.

It doesn't matter how you're incapable of being a multi-tasking driver - you're still incapable. All the bluetooth in the world won't save you.

I can't wait for the ream of accidents where buddy was on his BT-enabled phone and wrecks horribly... and then it's repeated again and again, ad nauseam. My only regret is for the innocents killed because of DRIVER INCOMPETENCE.

Jeez, when will some of you get that? Driver incompetence causes more "accidents", regardless of how they're classed, than anything else. Running a red? INCOMPETENCE. Jumping a median cause you're not paying attention / don't care? INCOMPETENCE. Distracted by talking on the phone with or without BT? INCOMPETENCE.

The reason I'm sticking to my guns? We were assessed by a driving school here at work for company insurance reasons. I was at the top of the "class", for rules of the road, ability in panic stops in dry, wet and snow/ice-covered conditions as well as... you guessed it, multi-tasking. Holding a convo while driving, counting numbers while holding a convo and driving, etc... it's all about prioritizing what's going on around you and adapting to what new factor requires your attention. The best comparison is "Situation Awareness", as military talking heads refer to it.

When I'm on the cell as I'm driving, and you better believe I am, I treat the phone as another passenger. I talk as tho the person on the other end is in the car. If things happen, they get told to "hang on a sec" or just flat out ignored as I deal with s***. Know what? Sometimes the phone gets put down or hung up! Imagine that! It's called being responsible! That's something that I'll wager the vast majority of sheeple know nothing about! They treat driving as a right and not a privilege!

I'm not trying to brag, but in this case I definitely feel I know what I'm talking about. This cellphone bill is a bandaid till more people start dying because of more incompetent behaviour. Then phones will be banned altogether.

I'm sick and tired of good drivers suffering because of the bad. Yet, that's Canadian society for you all over again - adapting the good to suffer the bad, instead of dealing with the bad. :angry:

Bluetooth is great, but it's not the panacea that everyone seems to think it is. Time will tell.
[right][snapback]285490[/snapback][/right]

I'm going to essentially agree with you here - however I feel more strongly about the benefits of hands-free than I think you do.

9 times out of 10 when somebody changes lanes without signalling it's because they have a phone in one hand - and how many times have you seen a driver with their head tilted 90 degrees to the side because they're cradling a cell phone between ear and shoulder ... and so forget about checking the blind spot or even using the rear view mirrors properly. And so in addition to the distraction caused by the conversation, there is also the distraction and the mechanical disadvantages of an improper driving position.

Although I agree that the hands-free won't necessarily mitigate the distraction aspect of the conversation, it most certainly improves the actual mechanics of driving by putting both hands back on the wheel and allowing for free movement of the neck and head for better vision.

I'm like you Adam - the driving is the priority and the talking takes a back seat (no pun intended) and that comes naturally ... but I feel really uncomfortable driving with a phone in my hand - to the point where I won't talk and drive at the same time if I don't have a hands-free option. Of course driving a manual tranny adds to the necessity of hands free for me.
Pages: 1 2