FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What's Wrong With My Zx3?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Car sat for a week and would not start. It went down to -25 the night before I tried to start. I plugged it in for 2 days and still nothing. It warmed up to +4 and the car started fine yesterday. I drove it for about 1/2 hour last night. This morning it was -15 and it would not start again. The SVT started fine. The battery shows 12V and the lights seem bright. Why will it not start? Any help would be great.
can you clearify, is it your svtf that isn't starting or is it your zx3 that isn't starting? i beleive that since it's winter time, and the weight of the engine oil might be to heavy, therefore causing it to have hard starts, i'm not 100% so don't beleive me to much! just a guess, because i'm having a little problem starting in the mornings too, especially in the mornings in very cold weather!
maybe ur block heater is not working? u should get that tested, that would be the reason u plugged it in and it still didn't start cuz the heater wasn't doing its job..thats what I would think, Could it be the oil hmm I doubt it 5w20 oil is a pretty light oil isn't it?
Moisture in the fuel? (frozen line)
might be the problem that steve had where condensation was building up in the exhaust and then it was freezing.

01-yellow-ZX3

Well that sucks Kevin, what dealer here in the city do you deal with?

I had my battery replaced under warranty through Landau, I've had pretty good luck with them.

So will the ZX3 turn over at all?
battery frozen,,,oil weight, fuel lines frozen thats all i can come up with at this point :unsure:
assuming the battery is fine...If the engine turns over, sort of sputters and dies, it could be a frozen line or a frozen exhaust.

If you've put in gasline antifreeze, it turns over, sort of sounds like it wants to start, but sputters dead and then just turns over, nothing else, it could be a frozen exhaust. With the pre-2003 (or 4) redesigned exhaust, vapours can build up into ice on short trips (< 10 minutes of driving with a fully warmed engine)..

my car turned over and started down to -45 C..NOT plugged in... just couldn't stay started due to that frozen exhaust problem.
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. The ZX3 is the one that won't start. I can hear gurgling from the engine bay when I plug in the block heater, but is it possible for it to work half-ass or would it just not work at all? I dunno. The little eye on the battery is showing an orange color. Should it not be green if its ok?

I have been trying several dealerships lately 01-yellow-zx3. Normally the zx3 goes to Landau, but lately I have used Mid-town because its 2 minutes from work. I have gone to Keystone a couple of times with the SVT but they kinda suck. I thought SVT's get washed and vacuumed whenever they are in the shop unless requested otherwise? They have never done this and I complained about it last week and have not heard a thing about it.

winnipegkevin,Dec 4 2004, 02:24 PM Wrote:  I thought SVT's get washed and vacuumed whenever they are in the shop unless requested otherwise?  They have never done this and I complained about it last week and have not heard a thing about it.
[right][snapback]72837[/snapback][/right]

Are they an SVT dealership? If they are not it won't be happening. I thought they closed the SVT dealership in The Peg.
SLIP STREAM SVT,Dec 4 2004, 01:29 PM Wrote:the weight of the engine oil might be to heavy, therefore causing it to have hard starts

Thats right, just like those Canadian Tire commercials suggest, it might be your oil.

01-yellow-ZX3

SVTZX503,Dec 4 2004, 05:37 PM Wrote:
winnipegkevin,Dec 4 2004, 02:24 PM Wrote:  I thought SVT's get washed and vacuumed whenever they are in the shop unless requested otherwise?  They have never done this and I complained about it last week and have not heard a thing about it.
[right][snapback]72837[/snapback][/right]

Are they an SVT dealership? If they are not it won't be happening. I thought they closed the SVT dealership in The Peg.
[right][snapback]72860[/snapback][/right]

Keystone is the Peg's SVT dealer. I've heard both good and bad things about that place though.
Gasline freeze up , fuel pump, block heater and parking outside or in a garage?Might even be an electrical connector problem? You got warranty time left?(use it)