FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Tires - Ice-x Vs. Icetrac Vs. Graspic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

I have been shopping for some winter tires for a week or so now, and have narrowed it down to the Michelin Ice-x, Nordic IceTrac, and the Dunlop Graspic DS-1.

But I can't seem to decide. The Icetracs have the highest speed rating, but it's not like I am doing 200km/h on the 401 anyhow.

My main concern is traction on wet roads, and in deep snow. My second main concern is that the tire handles well at highway speeds on dry roads - I don't want a tire that is going to feel floaty on highway curves, on ramps etc.

So which of these 3 would you recommend? Or is there something else in the $130 or less range that I have overlooked? Does the higher speed rating of the Icetracs mean it will handle better at high speeds on dry road?

ALSO, will getting 195/55/15 instead of the stock 195/60/15 help to eliminate some flex in the sidewall on the highway?

Any advice is appreciated!

Your best to go with the tire for ice and snow. Get 4 for best control. Leave high speed for summers at the track. When the snow drift is up to your side moulding who cares what they look like(steel rims). Performance safe handling delicate speed control.
You will find minor gaines in dry road and in some designs hydroplaining is addressed.
Someone out there got a consumer guide on this winter tire choice.
My neighbour has them on his Infinity G35 which is rear wheel drive and they've never gotten stuck with them in deep snow or whatever. My buddy just got the Dunlop Graspics for his focus and the only complaint he had is that they flex a lot. This might not be the tire for you but I'm not sure if the other two choices flex to the same degree. The thing with the graspics is that the tread is soft therefore allowing it to conform to any road surface therefore increasing traction. This helps especially in the winter weather because the road surface is not always flat. Also in the rain these tires tend to stick more. It's a trade off really; Incredible traction comes with the more flexable tire. If you go with a stiffer tire you won't get the same degree of traction. And yes going with a 195/55/15 but your speedo will say you're going faster than you are. Hope this helps!
MAlby7,Dec 2 2004, 07:59 AM Wrote:My neighbour  has them on his Infinity G35

Sorry, which does he have???

I went to Crappy Tire last night and checked out their selection. The IceTrac only seems to have sipes that go about 50% into the tread. It was hard to tell on the X-Ice how far in they went. The x-ice seem to have a better design for water/slush - with the center channel and v-shaped tread pattern.

I will probably go with the x-ice. They are about 40 more per tire, but I think they are a better match for what I want. Q-speed rated is probably sufficient. It seems that about 90% of winters are Q rated or slower anyhow. (The IceTrac is S rated.)

I have heard alot about how good the traction is on the Graspics, but I have also heard alot of complaints about flex and generally poor handling on dry roads at highway speeds so I will stay away from them I think.

I went with the x-ice they aren't too bad they aren't the 205 50's but they grip the wet good mine are 195 60 15 and i haven't pile into any corner hard yet gimme a day till i get all 4 on i'm lazy and i'm half way. As for the sipes the go around half way into the tread maybe a trouch more its dark in the back of the room here
Oh Sorry my neighbour has the Graspics on his G35.
xappie,Dec 2 2004, 02:38 AM Wrote:I have been shopping for some winter tires for a week or so now, and have narrowed it down to the Michelin Ice-x, Nordic IceTrac, and the Dunlop Graspic DS-1...So which of these 3 would you recommend?  Or is there something else in the $130 or less range that I have overlooked?
I think you've overlooked the Hankook W300 Ice Bears. Low price compared to the better-known brands. I have a set of Ice Bears and I'm very happy with their performance.