FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Remote Starter Bad For Car?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wanted to know if installing a remote starter on my car would be potentially bad for my car? Will it mess up my ECU or any other components of the car?

Or is that just old news?

I have a ZX3 Manual transmission.

Thanks!
mmm. I wasn't aware that a remote starter would caus any trouble but would be interesting to know if it does as i plan to install one on my manual zx3 ..

not sure why it would though
just make sure you get something good and not cheap. Compustar is really good and there is no way of false starts with it.
Last time I looked, they stopped making remote starters/installing them on cars with a manual transmission. Something they called "lock and load".

Does the remote starter shift the car into nuetral and depress the clutch? I'm not sure if it's true with the focus but some manual cars don't start without the clutch in? :blink:
theres a switch hooked to the clutch switch that allows it to remote start. IMHO compustar is the best becauase you have to shut off the car in a special way for it to arm the autostart.
The only "bad for car" concern is excessive idling "they" say you shouldn't do it for more than 30 seconds but we all know it takes many minutes before you can even see out the windows on a cold day.
youll be fine.
I have had one almost since I have owned my wagon! I have the 5 speed and I have had no problems. You should buy a quality car started and you will also need the security bypass modual and get a reputable installer. The procedure to activate the starter is different than an automatic but it's not a problem. I have a Prostart and it works great!
i had a remote starter on my mtx sho and didn't have any problems what so ever. with my starter, you had to program the car before shutting it off. the program was just leaving it in neutral and pressing a button. the lights would flash, take the key out (the car will still be on), once out of the car press button and the car will shut off.
I have the compustar and haven't had any problems with it. You need to leave it neutral with the hand brake on in order for it to start. It has a two way pager so you know if it is running and a range of 5000 feet. It also has a setting so you make it start every so many hours. Mine includes an alarm so it is worth the money. I paid $800 for mine installed which included remote door lock/unlock and for the hatch to be open. Make sure you get a pro to install it. Compustar also covers warrenty if it is the cause of a problem with your car.
svt_rodg,Nov 25 2004, 11:29 AM Wrote:i had a remote starter on my mtx sho and didn't have any problems what so ever.  with my starter, you had to program the car before shutting it off.  the program was just leaving it in neutral and pressing a button.  the lights would flash, take the key out (the car will still be on), once out of the car press button and the car will shut off.
[right][snapback]71500[/snapback][/right]

SVTZX503,Nov 25 2004, 11:38 AM Wrote:I have the compustar and haven't had any problems with it. You need to leave it neutral with the hand brake on in order for it to start. It has a two way pager so you know if it is running and a range of 5000 feet. It also has a setting so you make it start every so many hours. Mine includes an alarm so it is worth the money. I paid $800 for mine installed which included remote door lock/unlock and for the hatch to be open. Make sure you get a pro to install it. Compustar also covers warrenty if it is the cause of a problem with your car.
[right][snapback]71503[/snapback][/right]

Same as what these 2 have said!