FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Aem By-pass Blows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok So today on the way home my Car bogs at 4000rpms,

I freak out, I pull over so i dont screw anything up
Sitting in my car thinking"What have i added latly that will bog"

So I lift the hood, Unscrew the elbow on the CAI, Look inside the throttle body to find drops of water sitting on the flap. Freak out a little more.

Drive to Steeda, They dont have the Bypass in stock, Really freaking out now, Gotta drive home on the HWy in the s**t weather.

Get to Guelph, Drive to Performace Improvments, Booyaa They have them in stock, 59.99 too :)

Get home, Install, Start the Car, Rev it a bit, It Sounds like its stock now.

My Great sounding intake sounds stock now.

Another thing, Im not sure but It feels like a loss of power too.

So that was my day.

In Closing The Bypass Valve stinks, thier goes my nice sounding Foci.
and thats why i sold my aem ...I miss it though:(
Just to compare stories my motorcycle has four K&N cone filters (one for each carb). They are wide open to the elements (rain/snow/washing with garden hose) on a bike with no fairing to speak of.

Coming to think of it Focus engine=bike engine=transwerse in line four with exhaust forward and inatke aft????

Right after a wash I usually waited a while for them to "somewhat" dry but noticed boggyness but it goes away fast, couple blocks only. If rain started in the middle of a trip there was no real effect, even if I pulled over and grabbed a coffee for say 1/2 of steady rain.

There is always moisture in any air so water will always get to your internals. As for cloth filters (cone type) the volume of air that goes through will blow it out PDQ (pretty damn quick).

I may be off my nut as usual cause the bike is carburated and has a choke and all but I think what you were worried about was not damaging or risky especially since the ECU compensates for lots of unusual circumstances?
is it the long or short AEM?
there are pros and cons to both, and iffy stops in the RPM range.
Where did they or you install the by pass vavle. Depending on the location you put it can effect it.

How did you end up getting water up that far anyway? I called AEM when I was fealing sketchy about my full CAI and they told me in order to cause hydrolock you have to have the filter fully submerged into water with wot. Also washing your engine bay without covering the cone can cause it to.

To much headache for me and its something there to worry about so I got the Steeda short ram. No more worrying.
J3rt- Its a CAI, Plus I have a sheild too.

Brat It fits in the middle just under the Battary.(Kinda tight)

They only time it did it was at 4000 plus RPMs

I know thier was no chance of hydrolock, Not enough water.
My worry was going threw a intersection and stalling or something stupid.

IM thinking It might be the cheap cone, Or my Sheild isent big enough, Either way replacing both and trying again without the Valve installed.

Pat and Steeda Told me that a little water wont hurt anything anyways.