FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Sticking Fc Tb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a Focus Central 65mm throttlebody (installed this past summer) that is starting to stick from the 'off throttle position'. With the temperature dropping today to close to zero it has become very noticeable. Once it gets past the off position it's fine. Every time I shift and let off the throttle I really have to hammer it to get it unstuck and then the power comes on strong letting loose the summer tires in the wet stuff (I know I got to get the snows put on soon).

In the summer It wasn't a problem, I would hammer the gas all the time. But with the winter coming, and driving more conservatively in the snow this sticking trottlebody is not fun, not to mention looking like a noobie with the car jerking once the gas comes on. :ph34r:

Anyone else with this problem or knows of a fix? :blink:
dBlast,Nov 24 2004, 02:03 PM Wrote:I have a Focus Central 65mm throttlebody (installed this past summer) that is starting to stick from the 'off throttle position'.  With the temperature dropping today to close to zero it has become very noticeable.  Once it gets past the off position it's fine.  Every time I shift and let off the throttle I really have to hammer it to get it unstuck and then the power comes on strong letting loose the summer tires in the wet stuff (I know I got to get the snows put on soon).

In the summer It wasn't a problem, I would hammer the gas all the time.  But with the winter coming, and driving more conservatively in the snow this sticking trottlebody is not fun, not to mention looking like a noobie with the car jerking once the gas comes on. :ph34r:

Anyone else with this problem or knows of a fix? :blink:
[right][snapback]71341[/snapback][/right]

Mine started to do that so I just swapped it out for the stocker for the winter. Honestly don't know, does it do that for yours when the car warms up? Mine was ok after the car ran for a while (normal operating temperature) but that was about when I got to the parking lot at work.
shoulda went BBK
meford4u,Nov 24 2004, 02:25 PM Wrote:shoulda went BBK
[right][snapback]71348[/snapback][/right]

BBK? Yeah that explains why everyone has one of those.... I have yet to meet one single person on ANY of the focus boards that has one (assuming that you do since you mentioned it, I guess I know one person) and trust me I have definitely been 'around' on the boards. Focus Central has always rules in the TB market and always will.
my fc throttle body is one of the few things that I have done that has not altimately caused me grief.......
How do we know if BBK is no good since nobody has them :unsure:
dad,Nov 24 2004, 11:49 PM Wrote:my fc throttle body is one of the few things that I have done that has not altimately caused me grief.......
[right][snapback]71378[/snapback][/right]

:lol: :lol:
Flofocus,Nov 24 2004, 05:49 PM Wrote:How do we know if BBK is no good since nobody has them  :unsure:
[right][snapback]71380[/snapback][/right]

Exactly! :)
My 97 F150 5.4L TB used to stick in the winter after I put a K&N filter in it. I would sit at lights with the back ties slowly spinning. I would have to pull over, turn off the truck and go under the hood to get it to unstick. These kind of problems are terrible to deal with. I had to warm it up for ten minutes to heat everything up so that it would not freeze when it started sucking cold air into the metal parts. The truck is gone now, thank goodness.
Just a Shot here But Throttle body cleaner?
AKA: WD-40 or better still "electrical parts cleaner spray

My money is on chaffing (rubbing) of the cable (somewhere-worth investigating) rather than the TB itself.

Can it be that dirty after only 4K km? It's only sticky from the full off position. Once passed the initial pressing of the gas it is as responsive as ever, until I let off the gas pedal. It was really noticeable today after being parked outside in the cold temperatures. My car is usually parked in my garage which doesn't get that cold.

After putting back the old stock wheels with snow tires in my garage tonight, I took it out for a ride and the throttle didn't feel that sticky. It seems that the cold temperatures have an undesireable effect on this TB. :angry:

Man those stock 15 inchers look punny compared to my summer wheels...
dBlast,Nov 25 2004, 02:52 AM Wrote:Can it be that dirty after only 4K km?  It's only sticky from the full off position.  Once passed the initial pressing of the gas it is as responsive as ever, until I let off the gas pedal.  It was really noticeable today after being parked outside in the cold temperatures.  My car is usually parked in my garage which doesn't get that cold.

After putting back the old stock wheels with snow tires in my garage tonight, I took it out for a ride and the throttle didn't feel that sticky.  It seems that the cold temperatures have an undesireable effect on this TB. :angry:

Man those stock 15 inchers look punny compared to my summer wheels...
[right][snapback]71423[/snapback][/right]

Forgive me asking but do you have an automatic? It's OK I freely admit it myself*
2001 ZTS,Nov 24 2004, 09:56 PM Wrote:Forgive me asking but do you have an automatic? It's OK I freely admit it myself*
[right][snapback]71424[/snapback][/right]

Nope, 5 speed. I have been driving standard cars for 26 years, heel and toeing into corners, priding myself in quick smooth upshifts. Today I felt like a noob the way the car was jerking after each shift waiting for the gas to come on. :ph34r: :P :o
dBlast,Nov 25 2004, 03:11 AM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Nov 24 2004, 09:56 PM Wrote:Forgive me asking but do you have an automatic? It's OK I freely admit it myself*
[right][snapback]71424[/snapback][/right]

Nope, 5 speed. I have been driving standard cars for 26 years, heel and toeing into corners, priding myself in quick smooth upshifts. Today I felt like a noob the way the car was jerking after each shift waiting for the gas to come on. :ph34r: :P :o
[right][snapback]71425[/snapback][/right]
just a young un then? It's OK see the other thread about intake filters, sure sounds rain related.
S2,Nov 24 2004, 10:48 PM Wrote:

BBK? Yeah that explains why everyone has one of those.... I have yet to meet one single person on ANY of the focus boards that has one (assuming that you do since you mentioned it, I guess I know one person) and trust me I have definitely been 'around' on the boards. Focus Central has always rules in the TB market and always will.
[right][snapback]71362[/snapback][/right]

HMMMMMMMM............Why would I invest in a tb that everyone says sticks at some point in time and causes the same, reoccurring problem over and over again? Try something new and take a chance in life instead of always telling people how great the brat is doing on his new site.

BTW I am NOT a big fan of the changes to the site. But no one cares anyway!!
sorry to go of topic, but i don't have the FC Throttle body, but i still have the sticking with the stock throttle body... maybe it's not the throttle body at all? could it be somewhere in between the cables? when the cables get cold, they stick to something?
meford4u,Nov 25 2004, 12:26 AM Wrote:
S2,Nov 24 2004, 10:48 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]71362[/snapback][/right]

HMMMMMMMM............Why would I invest in a tb that everyone says sticks at some point in time and causes the same, reoccurring problem over and over again? Try something new and take a chance in life instead of always telling people how great the brat is doing on his new site.

BTW I am NOT a big fan of the changes to the site. But no one cares anyway!!
[right][snapback]71443[/snapback][/right]

You got issues man, that is all I'm gonna say.......
meford4u,Nov 25 2004, 12:26 AM Wrote:Try something new and take a chance in life instead of always telling people how great the brat is doing on his new site.

BTW I am NOT a big fan of the changes to the site.  But no one cares anyway!!
[right][snapback]71443[/snapback][/right]

Heh, how's that for off-topic? :P

As far as the site goes, the board upgrade has been a transition that we'll all get used to for the new features.. and there'll be a new main page eventually so we can save our judgement on that until it goes up.

Let's try to keep this thread about the FC throttle body's sticking problem now..

Actually I know when Focus_silver_SE (one of the Regina guys, his car was totalled off a while back) had his FC tb it had a sticking problem. I think they had to grease the hinge or something.. it was some kind of lubricating they did to it and he didnt have any problems with it.

But also check your throttle cable and make sure it's not being caught up on anything.
Problem solved!! :)

I put my snow tires on and the problem went away. Who'da thunk it? ;)

J/k the only difference was that it was wet and cold yesterday (sticky throttle body) and today it was dry and cold (smooth throttle body). My air induction is Steeda short ram so I don't think that water would be a big factor. Who knows? I'll just have to wait for the problem to reappear.

Thanks for your help neways.
Pages: 1 2