FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need New Tires, Recommendations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I need a set of new tires for my 16" stock 'S2' rims. I am just looking at an all-season for them, something with a good warranty km rating. Also brand name, no cooper or any crap like that but something reasonable in price, want some suggestions...... wondering what you folks are running.....

Thanks in advance.
I'm now running on my Continental ContiExtremeContact...I like them....good on snow...and summer...dunno about the price around here..check them out at tire rack..
my $.2
Strongly suggest you get different tires for summer and winter. "All-season" tires compromise too much in Canadian (Prairie !) conditions.
I second the ContiExtremeContacts...really good in the snow and rain, and still decent in dry conditions. I already took them up for a drive to Jasper, the whole damn highway was covered with snow/packed snow/ice and they did extremely well. I am extremely happy with these tires! They are also supposed to be very durable and they come with a good warranty, even a 1 year road hazard warranty! I got mine a tirerack.com, and with the current exchange rate you would be kicking ass. You won't find them cheaper anywhere else.

A couple of notes on ordering from tirerack. Because these tires are manufactured in the US you don't have to pay duty coming across the border (NAFTA). BUT!! Be prepared to pay $50 in brokearage charges, which caught me by surprise! :angry:

Anyways...good luck!

Edit: I should note that I use these as a designated winter tire.
Much appreciated SVTMonkey, will definitely check into those. As for different tires, summer and winter, yeah eventually that is the way I want to go but I am looking at buying rims possibly in spring (but not 100% sure yet so not going to put on winter tires and then have to buy summer ones after that).

What do you guys think of Kumho......
S2,Nov 23 2004, 12:33 PM Wrote:Much appreciated SVTMonkey, will definitely check into those.  As for different tires, summer and winter, yeah eventually that is the way I want to go but I am looking at buying rims possibly in spring (but not 100% sure yet so not going to put on winter tires and then have to buy summer ones after that).

[right][snapback]71124[/snapback][/right]

I have khumo winters on the Justy and Summer Khumos on the Focus. I live by them. Best bang for buck IMHO. :D
Flofocus,Nov 23 2004, 10:43 AM Wrote:
S2,Nov 23 2004, 12:33 PM Wrote:Much appreciated SVTMonkey, will definitely check into those.  As for different tires, summer and winter, yeah eventually that is the way I want to go but I am looking at buying rims possibly in spring (but not 100% sure yet so not going to put on winter tires and then have to buy summer ones after that).

I have khumo winters on the Justy and Summer Khumos on the Focus. I live by them. Best bang for buck IMHO. :D
[right][snapback]71125[/snapback][/right]

Yeah I know where I can get Kumho in the city here, definitely going to price them out if not get those. What 'model' of Kumho's are good for an all-season?
S2,Nov 23 2004, 12:49 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Nov 23 2004, 10:43 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]71125[/snapback][/right]

Yeah I know where I can get Kumho in the city here, definitely going to price them out if not get those. What 'model' of Kumho's are good for an all-season?
[right][snapback]71126[/snapback][/right]

I wouldnt know :(

I have the 712's (15") for the focus, and 7400's (13") for the Justy.
i had Azenis, then Khumos (712) this year and im back with Azenis.. i hated my Khumos.. love the Azenis.. but they are high perf. summer..

can't help you with all-season sorry

01-yellow-ZX3

Rubberman has wicked prices on Kumho's.
I have 195/60 HR 15 Bridgestone Potenza RE 950's on my car. Rain is a non-issue, dry pavement grip is awesome (even when cold). My car is wayyyy better in the snow with these tires than it was last year with the Goodyear Eagle RSA's it had on it. The Potenza's actually handle BETTER as they wear, especially in the rain...check out the specs and reviews on tirerack.com or somewhere like it. I paid $165 each cdn installed and balanced. Have them on my other car too (78 Mercury Zephyr 2-dr, which you forget sometimes is a RWD with these tires).

I've got ZERO complaints on these tires...my 3rd set of Bridgestones in a row now...best investment I've made in my car so far...
Not argueing the point but my Bridgestone Potenzas (WRX) are super crap.

So bad that I can't tell you whether they are worse or better than the Firestone Firehawks that came on the Focus. If push ever came to shove I'd probably give the nod to the Firestones cause they wear better.

Now mine are Potenza RE92(?) and one would assume 950's are an improvement upon them? For teh record Bridgestones are much respected as motorcycle tires and I've owned lots of them and was very happy too.

I guess the lesson is to lots of research, Bridgestone in general may be good, the Potenza line good as well but watch your model #'s closely. The same would go for any company of course!
IMHO, canadian tire winter tires are better than any all season tire when the snow hits..

go pick up some used steelies and toss canadian tire winter tires on them...

Just bought 4 new Goodyear Integrity A/S tires for the little red SPI two weeks ago - factory sized (185/65R14).

We just got hit with 10+cm of snow last night, and tooling through the snow today on the way in this morning, and at lunch, was sweet. Much control, good grip, braking's excellent.

What more can I say?
Yeah I priced out some more, any decent all season brand name time is about $200 range per and I found the OEM Firehawks for about $160 per. I dunno.... it's going to cost me about $800 to $1000 for some decent all seasons.
How about the Nokian All Season. Tyler has the snow tire by them on his car and they were $129 each. They are supposed to be a good all season tire. They use these in Finland and there weather is worst than ours.
SVTZX503,Nov 25 2004, 12:57 PM Wrote:How about the Nokian All Season. Tyler has the snow tire by them on his car and they were $129 each. They are supposed to be a good all season tire. They use these in Finland and there weather is worst than ours.
[right][snapback]71532[/snapback][/right]

Where did he get those at? The only ones that are reasonably prices IMO here in the city are COOPER tires and I don't want that on my car. I dunno.....
We got them from Kal Tire on 8th Street. Tyler's friend got the all season for his grandam... he paid 500 for the 2, for the focus they wold cost less.
$500 for two tires? I am planning on probably selling my car next summer/spring so chances are I might just go with the OEM replacements (Firestone Firehawks). Yeah I know, not the best tire but they are about $200 or more less then the others. Still shopping around right now though so there might still be some hope....lol
Tyler's snow tire were 330 installed for 2 as we all ready had 2.
Why are you planning on selling the car ? :(
Pages: 1 2