FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need A Good Garage.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Looking for a person or a garage to install my FK Kit.

I live in Guelph, SO anything GTA will be considered.
Chromey,Nov 22 2004, 10:20 PM Wrote:Looking for a person or a garage to install my FK Kit.

I live in Guelph, SO anything GTA will be considered.
[right][snapback]71083[/snapback][/right]

http://www.steeda.ca is located in Milton, call Pat for a quote.
Let me know what you find, I need this too.
Do you have most hand tools and a jack?
Ya Ive got MOst Hand tools.

PLus what ever is needed i can get.

Steeda wants 200$ plus tax... Pretty steep for a Suspension install at a Shop.

RPMs in Brampton use to install a full kit in 35 mins...Close down now though.
All they Charged for my Honda was 75 plus parts.

j3rt Have you down 1 before?
Come to Regina. I can have it done in 2 hours. Unless your bolt are all rusted LOL. Actually be close to around 3 hours I guess. 1 for rear then give 1 for each side up front. Those struts can be a bitch to get back in sometimes...

But if you got the tools I dont see why not trying it yourself. Its pretty easy. i did mine twice and didnt have a clue about lowering a car.
do the suspension's that you bought come with directions? also i think you would need a spring compressor, or if you take your suspension off you can take it to some shop that has a spring compressor and they can do it for you! and you just install everything back they way you took it off,..... yea i know, i make it sound easier than it really is! but what the hey, it beats paying $200 for an install
I got a couple quotes when I did my springs, and the shops wanted more than the springs cost me. So I just went to Princess Auto and picked up a pair of spring compressorsfor under $20. Not that bad of a job, just take your time, and don't forget an alignment.
Be prepared to fight with the back bolts holding the rear springs in. Mine were a bitch and a half. I gave up on them TWICE.

I'll be going to a hop to have them done this spring. :lol:

I would just feel better with a shop doing them so that if anything goes wrong they can fix it and not me.
Took me 4hrs first time installing my FK Kit. First time doing a suspension swap. B)

It would take me probably 2-2.5 now that I know what Im doing. I had a freinds spring compressor to, wich helped.
I've done them on my acclaim before.. easy job. The svt should be a bit harder but i'm gonna attempt it in march :D
Chromey,Nov 23 2004, 08:36 PM Wrote:RPMs in Brampton use to install a full kit in 35 mins...Close down now though.
All they Charged for my Honda was 75 plus parts.
[right][snapback]71188[/snapback][/right]

hehe no kidding :blink:

I did it on my ZX3 and I spent 4 hours on ONE of the rear bolts, making sure it didnt' break cause it was a sunday night... quite a job It's true that it's not the most skilled job but there are some tricks. Also, it's one of things where you can run into glitches like the rear bolts. And I wouldn't do it without a spring compressor... guys lose their chins thinking they can do it without.

Having said all that, it's one of those things you might consider getting done at a shop unless you have extra time available and someone who has some experience. Also, for alignment, use a marker line on the things you move making it easier to reinstal without issues. I didn't need an alignment after mine.
BrooksZX3,Nov 24 2004, 07:58 PM Wrote:hehe no kidding  :blink: 

I did it on my ZX3 and I spent 4 hours on ONE of the rear bolts, making sure it didnt' break cause it was a sunday night... quite a job  It's true that it's not the most skilled job but there are some tricks.  Also, it's one of things where you can run into glitches like the rear bolts.  And I wouldn't do it without a spring compressor... guys lose their chins thinking they can do it without.
a 230lb guy has little problems with the springs... a 270lb+ man (me) had no problem compressing the springs enough to re-assemble... while I agree that it's a good idea to have a compressor (makes things easier too), I don't think the focus struts can do much damage.

Quote:Having said all that, it's one of those things you might consider getting done at a shop unless you have extra time available and someone who has some experience.  Also, for alignment, use a marker line on the things you move making it easier to reinstal without issues.  I didn't need an alignment after mine.
[right][snapback]71337[/snapback][/right]

you didn't need to adjust your toe-in/out or camber? after I lowered my car, the alignment was better than stock (the parts were better aligned going on), but you could really feel the scrub of the toe-out in the front. I'm skeptical that marker lines will solve the issue of changing the suspension geometry with lowering.
darkpuppet,Nov 24 2004, 04:03 PM Wrote:
BrooksZX3,Nov 24 2004, 07:58 PM Wrote:hehe no kidding  :blink: 

I did it on my ZX3 and I spent 4 hours on ONE of the rear bolts, making sure it didnt' break cause it was a sunday night... quite a job  It's true that it's not the most skilled job but there are some tricks.  Also, it's one of things where you can run into glitches like the rear bolts.  And I wouldn't do it without a spring compressor... guys lose their chins thinking they can do it without.
a 230lb guy has little problems with the springs... a 270lb+ man (me) had no problem compressing the springs enough to re-assemble... while I agree that it's a good idea to have a compressor (makes things easier too), I don't think the focus struts can do much damage.

Quote:Having said all that, it's one of those things you might consider getting done at a shop unless you have extra time available and someone who has some experience.  Also, for alignment, use a marker line on the things you move making it easier to reinstal without issues.  I didn't need an alignment after mine.
[right][snapback]71337[/snapback][/right]

you didn't need to adjust your toe-in/out or camber? after I lowered my car, the alignment was better than stock (the parts were better aligned going on), but you could really feel the scrub of the toe-out in the front. I'm skeptical that marker lines will solve the issue of changing the suspension geometry with lowering.
[right][snapback]71340[/snapback][/right]

I am not a 230lb nor a 270lb guy lol :( I suppose i lean toward safety... gimme a break I'm old now :ph34r: :lol:

I needed a camber adjustment on the rear only to save my tires, but it drove perfectly straight. I didn't mean to imply that marking it up will prevent mis-alignment... was just telling my story. The mark-up is a good idea for re-aligning the parts. Thanks for pointing that out Steve.

That's the funny thing about suspension work, tough to have 2 identical instals.
Please..If you are doing the suspension the on the Focus, take out the bolts for the rear lower control arms that are in the MIDDLE of the rear cross member and then drop the control arm down pivoting on the ball joint. Reverse of what you would normaly do when you look at it.

Reason is the lower bolt SEIZES in there, but the upper bolt doesn't and comes out easy.

I wish I had a picture. :unsure:
Jays2000ZX3,Nov 25 2004, 06:51 PM Wrote:I wish I had a picture.  :unsure:
[right][snapback]71531[/snapback][/right]
I wish I had a beer.

Does J&T wanna do my SVT (fr & rr) supenssion install this spring?
2001 ZTS,Nov 25 2004, 03:33 PM Wrote:
Jays2000ZX3,Nov 25 2004, 06:51 PM Wrote:I wish I had a picture.  :unsure:
[right][snapback]71531[/snapback][/right]
I wish I had a beer.

Does J&T wanna do my SVT (fr & rr) supenssion install this spring?
[right][snapback]71547[/snapback][/right]

I'll come over too. we can do my sedan as well. B)
Yeah, spring time is fine with me. :) (Get the pun?) Cold right now. :D But that wouldn't be a problem.
Thanks Jay. Anthony & I will come by some Saturday in late April and we will follow it up with a drink fest at my place. ;)
I could hit Oakville up too, I work thier.

ANd I could down a few pitchers...
Pages: 1 2