FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Road & Track's Thoughts On The Focus St
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
clicky clicky

more clicky clicky

I posted this on FocalJet but didn't get too much of a response.

My new ST should be in town next week and it's great to see it at least made the list! Nice to see the GT and new Stang in there as well.
bah giving up on the SVT was a real stupid Idea. ;)
D-Dub,Nov 3 2004, 05:03 PM Wrote:bah giving up on the SVT was a real stupid Idea. ;)
Agreed . . . not just because I have one but I think Ford is letting down those of us who want a sport compact car . . . yes, the new ST is nice but everybody says its not the SVT . . . too bad the sales on the SVT Focus weren't as good as its reviews, as I'm sure that if they were, we would be seeing a new version of the SVT.

Oh well, c'est la vie . . . B)
Pricing the SVT the way they did was what was stupid. It was doomed from the start.
Haha, yeah. most dealerships took a kicking on them. average loss was 5000 per vehicle...cdn
2001 ZTS,Nov 3 2004, 02:08 PM Wrote:Pricing the SVT the way they did was what was stupid. It was doomed from the start.
That and it needed more power for the price.
the value added items on the SVT are far more valuable then the 30,000 price tag in my opinion (comparitively speaking to the non-SVT)... you must look at the whole package. Power?? Yeah, the 170hp for the price may seem a little low. Perhaps a few less goodies traded in for a factory turbo might have increased the sales, however I still come back to the whole argument of package value. How much power would have been enough? 190? 200? I'd bet the farm that for those of you who feel the 170 isn't enough then 190 or 200 wouldn't have cut it either... so go buy the turbo/supercharger and then tell me how the car is overpriced when you're pulling on a stang for 35000. The motor is strong internally, it turns amazingly, the interior is sic, it stops like mad, and it looks sweet. I think the SVT is priced right for ME, so well done Ford cause I'm definitely sold. So perhaps I'm part of the 'not big enough' market intended for this ride but so be it... I wish they were still available but... I've got one :ph34r:

ps are you sure they intended for it to be around much longer?? :unsure:
I think if the car had 200hp minus the stereo, heated seats, heated mirrors, and some of the colour accents then the car would be at the $26,000 mark. Its a sports car make it look like a sports car. As much as I hate the neon srt-4 (yes its a neon) they have the price nailed and the interior is ugly but its nice and simple.

Stock focus interior with some svt symbols would have made the price right also with the some racing seats too.
I wasnt trying to bash the SVT, Im just saying Ford royally fucke d this up to the *mojority* of sport compact car buyers.

WTF is goin to buy a 170HP, 2wd, car with a better than most interior for 30K?

*anybody SMART, wouldnt pay that. Yes, most people never did pay sticker, but its kind of a turn off when you see a high price like that....what do most buyers do when they see that.....move onto better bang for buck. Save up an extra 5-6G's and you can buy a full load WRX.

I almost bought one last year, I had them within $50 of my monthly price, but after driving it and comparing it to my car (modded ZX3), the only difference I saw was the interior (which I dont plan on keeping anyways).

Not trying to piss off the SVT guys, if I was to start over again, and I was to buy another Ford, I would have picked up the SVTf and boosted it just like I plan on with the ZX3.
Hi,

I agree with Flofocus.
The SVT Focus is a great car, but it was just priced too high in comparison to the other competitors that are out there.

At the time, the SVT Focus was at approximately $27 000 before taxes.
The Sentra Spec V was around $24 to 24 500 before taxes and the Civic SiR was around $25 500 before taxes. The SVT was just a little bit too much, especially when you have to consider the resale value. The focus just loses too much money.

Even the new Focus ST is priced out pretty high. When I still had my Focus and went to my dealership for service, they had a new Focus ST out there. The price on it was around $26 800 plus taxes. When the sales rep say the price (at the time he didn't even know that they had one on the lot) his exact words were "How the F... I'm I suppose to sell this car at this price?"
I bought a Mazda 3 GT Sedan about 2 1/2 months ago and only paid $23 500 plus taxes (they are not negotiating at all on these cars). So I don't know where the hell Ford is going with their prices especially being about $3 500 dollars more that my car.

The SVT does give the car a lot for the price in comparison to a standard ZX3 but in comparison the competitors it's out of touch. Even the new Focus ST is a little too much.

This is just my opinion.

Vito B)
I like the SVT...on the other hand ..now we own collectibles!
I think yes it was overpriced...but who paid here the sticker price???not me!!
:ph34r: :lol:
D-Dub,Nov 3 2004, 03: Wrote:I think if the car had 200hp minus the stereo,  heated seats,  heated mirrors, and some of the colour accents then the car would be at the $26,000 mark. Its a sports car make it look like a sports car. As much as I hate the neon srt-4 (yes its a neon) they have the price nailed and the interior is ugly but its nice and simple.

Stock focus interior with some svt symbols would have made the price right also with the some racing seats too.
werd...overpriced, underpowered.

200hp should have been a given if they *really* wanted to compete with the other automakers...but we know that Ford doesn't really care about that for most of their models.

Unfortunately, they've taken a step back with the ST...nice car...but...I'd be spending my $$$ elsewhere.
Beh, to each his own. I'm just tired of hearing everything that is disliked about the SVT's price when the entire car isn't taken into account. Perhaps I'm bias because I never intended to buy anything else but the SVT... I guess blue has always run thru me.
^^^ really not worth dredging up the whole argument...but...I think it's safe to say that the enthusiast segment is disappointed with the SVT. It's not a "bad" car...just not nearly enough to make me want one and I get A-Plan...I'd definitely be looking to another manufacturer.

It's a nice total package...but come on...you're not AT ALL disappointed that Ford didn't give us something closer to an RS...or at least something that would compete better (from a performance standpoint) with what's on the market now? ;)

So choosing Ford means choosing a Mustang if you want performance? That's sooooo lame :(
Quote:I think it's safe to say that the enthusiast segment is disappointed with the SVT

Dissagree, but that's ok :D

Quote:It's a nice total package...but come on...you're not AT ALL disappointed that Ford didn't give us something closer to an RS...or at least something that would compete better (from a performance standpoint) with what's on the market now?  ;)

Nope, never anticipated it. My glass was half full from the beginning. I am stoked we got the SVT. In its first year released... there wasn't much that was WAY better in the segment in Canada/NA? Lots more competition now for sure.

Quote:So choosing Ford means choosing a Mustang if you want performance?  That's sooooo lame :(

Lame huh... I caught and passed two Mustang GT's at the SVTOA-On Track event with my STOCK SVTF. Don't tell me it doesn't perform, it was born a road course car, not a straight line rocket. Besides, for me the 4 banger agile circuit car is my thing... not so much the mustang... I wouldn't even trade straight up with a mustang lol call me crazy :P
oops...sorry if I was unclear...in no way would I advocate buying a Mustang over an SVT ;) so I wouldn't call you crazy...the only reason I *would* trade those cars straight up would be to sell the Mustang, rebuy the SVT, and mod it with the $$$ difference, lol :D

glad you're happy with it...at today's prices, and assuming one could still find a new one, I'd take an SVT over a regular Focus too, even the new ST...but not when people were paying 27-30k for them when they came out...that's GTi 1.8T territory and THAT is a no brainer better option, IMHO...both from a stock standpoint and a modding standpoint.
I think we hijacked this thread lol

I have been in the ST but never driven one. I remember looking under the hood and thinking eeeek, not much room for a turbo lol
I'm not too sure, but wasnt the svt released when there wasnt much in the sport compact segment. It was meant to compete with the SI-R and Z24 SE-R... etc and to a lesser extent the 1.8t. and in my opinion it did a great job. The price was too high from the start, but im sure if you talk to most of the svt owners we picked it up for way under retail, and cost for that matter.